The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor: Devils are lining up prospects to pursue Quinn Hughes

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Allow me to clarify that he hasn't proven anything at the NHL level yet whereas Hughes certainly has. 

I did clarify my thoughts on Mercer, and I definitely didn't say he hasn't proven anything. But the whole "magic beans" trope is what concerns people, as Nemec might not work out and the late 1st might not either, yet we have a proven #1 dman already on our team, who is ripping it up every year with us and still getting better. 

Hughes is an amazing player.  He’s really our only top four D man.  He’s a plus player, and puts up a ppg.  And that’s on a crappy team, with crappy goaltending, that plays crappy defensive structure. If we could find Quinn a proper partner, he could could push the play with his feet.  Right now he’s limited to only passing, because he’s got to be careful not to get caught.  We saw what happens when he had to chase his brother down because his partner didn’t cover. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Hughes is an amazing player.  He’s really our only top four D man.  He’s a plus player, and puts up a ppg.  And that’s on a crappy team, with crappy goaltending, that plays crappy defensive structure. If we could find Quinn a proper partner, he could could push the play with his feet.  Right now he’s limited to only passing, because he’s got to be careful not to get caught.  We saw what happens when he had to chase his brother down because his partner didn’t cover. 

But Nemec might be as good as Hughes, and the late first might be a Pasternak or someone else!

Reminds me of Family Guy and Peter's mystery box. 

This is why it has to be an overpayment, because Mercer is proven, but the other two assets are not. If they want to add another proven roster player then management would think long and hard about it, but I don't think Nemec, Mercer, and a 1st is enough. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

But Nemec might be as good as Hughes, and the late first might be a Pasternak or someone else!

Reminds me of Family Guy and Peter's mystery box. 

This is why it has to be an overpayment, because Mercer is proven, but the other two assets are not. If they want to add another proven roster player then management would think long and hard about it, but I don't think Nemec, Mercer, and a 1st is enough. 

It's a gamble, I agree 100%.  However, I think it's a pretty calculated gamble on two players who are already tracking to be elite players.  And this team needs to gamble on a huge payday 

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's a gamble, I agree 100%.  However, I think it's a pretty calculated gamble on two players who are already tracking to be elite players.  And this team needs to gamble on a huge payday 

If Hughes was a UFA then I'd be more interested, but he's locked up and a guaranteed asset. There's also team chemistry with Hughes that's a factor. NJ would still have to add another piece. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jester13 said:

If Hughes was a UFA then I'd be more interested, but he's locked up and a guaranteed asset. There's also team chemistry with Hughes that's a factor. NJ would still have to add another piece. 

What about they add Hamilton? 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I know a lot of us want Miller gone, but the chances of that happening is literally 0%. 

Trading Miller is basically telling the world that management made a mistake by signing him and I doubt the management team has any pride to admit their mistakes. Also I doubt any future free agents would want to sign here if they pulled that kind of shady move.

Meh. They gave the team the year to prove management should have faith in them moving forward... and the entire team fell flat on its face, Miller included.

Zero issue with them changing direction and performing "major surgery" in their words. And there's no reason that "surgery" can't include Miller.

It's not shady at all. You didn't want major changes, you should have played better. It's literally the business.

Good management also knows when identify and correct a mistake too. "Pride" or otherwise.

That said, I agree it's unlikely, but because I genuinely think they like him. Not because it would be admitting a mistake, or jeopardize future UFA's. 

I just hope I'm wrong in their assessment of him :lol: (Or more accurately, where the team is, in relation to him/his age/contract).

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • There it is 1

5 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I'd be ok with another pick, maybe 2024 2nd.

Again, I don't think this will happen, but it's also not impossible if NJ really does want all three brothers

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd be ok with another pick, maybe 2024 2nd.

Again, I don't think this will happen, but it's also not impossible if NJ really does want all three brothers

I think I heard or read somewhere that NJ needs to fill the building, even though they're playing really well now, and that the marketing aspect is why they would even consider overpaying to get him. I still don't think a 2nd would get it done. Throw in Holtz or something. They have so many assets to overpay, so it might just happen, but GMPA has the leverage. If they want him, they really do need to overpay to get him. 

Edited by Jester13
  • There it is 1

28 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I think I heard or read somewhere that NJ needs to fill the building, even though they're playing really well now, and that the marketing aspect is why they would even consider overpaying to get him. I still don't think a 2nd would get it done. Throw in Holtz or something. They have so many assets to overpay, so it might just happen, but GMPA has the leverage. If they want him, they really do need to overpay to get him. 

Exactly the point .........there's a possibility of a lopsided deal in a very unique circumstance.  

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Exactly the point .........there's a possibility of a lopsided deal in a very unique circumstance.  

The point was that Nemec, Mercer, and a late 1st is not enough to get it done - it's not lopsided enough, which is what people have been saying: we shouldn't be trading away an established #1 dman that we've waited 50 years for only to get back Mercer and some magic beans. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

The point was that Nemec, Mercer, and a late 1st is not enough to get it done - it's not lopsided enough, which is what people have been saying: we shouldn't be trading away an established #1 dman that we've waited 50 years for only to get back Mercer and some magic beans. 

And we we won’t. New management aren’t the morons we had before. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

It would be for me, but another piece would be better obviously 

On 2/7/2023 at 4:01 PM, aGENT said:

Again, if they want to back up the prospect Brinks truck....

Nemec, Mukhamadullin, their 1st +...sure.

I just don't know why they would do that and basically throw a wrench in what is presently a solid roster build that doesn't need Hughes (beyond the marketing).

They would be very very lethal with Quinn back there, especially passing the puck to Jack and having Luke come up in few years. They would definitely have a star studded lineup with speed. Jack Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Quinn and Luke Hughes etc. Would win a Stanley Cup with those speed and talent 

On 2/7/2023 at 4:01 PM, aGENT said:

Again, if they want to back up the prospect Brinks truck....

Nemec, Mukhamadullin, their 1st +...sure.

I just don't know why they would do that and basically throw a wrench in what is presently a solid roster build that doesn't need Hughes (beyond the marketing).

They would be very very lethal with Quinn back there, especially passing the puck to Jack and having Luke come up in few years. They would definitely have a star studded lineup with speed. Jack Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Quinn and Luke Hughes etc. Would win a Stanley Cup with those speed and talent 

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

That's a pretty dumb approach.  By that token, Connor McDavid should be traded for 4 assets of the prospects/picks variety because 4 is better than 1!  Because what if McDavid suffers a career ending injury tonight and never plays another game in the NHL! 

Detroit should trade Mo Seider because who knows!  He might suffer a career ending injury tonight and never play another game in the NHL again!  Trade Seider for 3 first round draft picks! 

Definitely better to have 3 shots at producing a player of Seider or Hughes calibre! :rolleyes:

EDIT:  Wait!  I know!  Trade Cale Makar for 3 1st  round draft picks!  He is injured and if it happens again, he'll never play another NHL game again!  You'll get a chance of drafting a player like Cale Makar!  In fact, you'll have 3 shots at it! 

Thoughts on Hughes after tonight’s win?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Someone posted in another thread that Hughes, in his last 13 games, has 18 points and is a plus 12. And our team has been bad, with horrid goaltending. Yet Hughes is amazing still.  I wonder if some of our fans really understand just how good Hughes is? 

Well, yes Hughes is awesome, but look at Karlsson right now, putting up career offensive numbers. I think it's actually easier for defensemen to put up huge numbers when their team is that bad and they don't really have to worry about playing defense.

• Upvote 1