The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor: Devils are lining up prospects to pursue Quinn Hughes

20 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Well, yes Hughes is awesome, but look at Karlsson right now, putting up career offensive numbers. I think it's actually easier for defensemen to put up huge numbers when their team is that bad and they don't really have to worry about playing defense.

Hughes doesn't ignore defence and has less favourable starts. 64% ozone starts for Karlsson. 54% for Hughes. Pretty sizeable difference. Hughes on our garbage team is a +11. I am not a huge +/- guy, but that's pretty amazing given our team has given up the second most goals against in the league. Which again, speaks to the fact he is responsible defensively. Not to diminish Karlsson. Neither of these guys are ignoring defence. They are playing at an elite level this season. They just happen to be on garbage teams.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Someone posted in another thread that Hughes, in his last 13 games, has 18 points and is a plus 12. And our team has been bad, with horrid goaltending. Yet Hughes is amazing still.  I wonder if some of our fans really understand just how good Hughes is? 

Absolutely! He is unbelievably good. He and Pettersson are next level talents that we should build around. 

32 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Well, yes Hughes is awesome, but look at Karlsson right now, putting up career offensive numbers. I think it's actually easier for defensemen to put up huge numbers when their team is that bad and they don't really have to worry about playing defense.

I think what Karlsson’s doing is even more impressive considering he doesn’t really have the support Hughes or other offensive and have. 

Someone posted in another thread that Hughes, in his last 13 games, has 18 points and is a plus 12. And our team has been bad, with horrid goaltending. Yet Hughes is amazing still.  I wonder if some of our fans really understand just how good Hughes is? 

Some don't as they are willing to give him up for guys that haven't even played in the NHL yet but have potential.  Why trade your greatest defenceman ever who is only 23 and could win the Norris trophy one day for "potential"?  Crazy stuff.

And yes, he has 18 points in his last 13 games and is a plus 12 in those 13 games.  Playing in front of AHL goalies and playing alongside ECHL defencemen.  In comparison, the current Norris trophy winner has 16 points in his last 13 games and is even in those 13 games.  Hughes > Makar right now...

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

I never judge a player good or bad on one game.

If you think a game like tonight’s is a one off for a player as good as Hughes then I have nothing more to say. He has been one of if not our best players every game he’s played since arriving here. Talk if trading this guy is outrageous. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Hughes has spoiled us with his consistency. He is integral to this team.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, higgyfan said:

The Man Moose:  Kes, Edler, Burr, Hansen, Rypien, Bieksa, Raymond, Schneids, Auld, Grabner, Brown.

Yea, I remember those years. Those players were also a big part of the 2011 team that made a run to the Cup, and almost won. 

Have we had that many prospects being developed outside of that time? 

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Some don't as they are willing to give him up for guys that haven't even played in the NHL yet but have potential.  Why trade your greatest defenceman ever who is only 23 and could win the Norris trophy one day for "potential"?  Crazy stuff.

And yes, he has 18 points in his last 13 games and is a plus 12 in those 13 games.  Playing in front of AHL goalies and playing alongside ECHL defencemen.  In comparison, the current Norris trophy winner has 16 points in his last 13 games and is even in those 13 games.  Hughes > Makar right now...

Hughes really should be getting some Norris consideration. I'm not saying he should win, but he is having an excellent season on a crap team. 

• There it is 1

On 2/9/2023 at 10:21 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Mercer hasn't played in the NHL?

On 2/9/2023 at 10:33 PM, bad alice french said:

If you think a game like tonight’s is a one off for a player as good as Hughes then I have nothing more to say. He has been one of if not our best players every game he’s played since arriving here. Talk if trading this guy is outrageous

Not of NJ is offering three top shelf pieces, at least, coming back.

On 2/9/2023 at 7:42 PM, Alflives said:

Considering how you ng he is, he is an top notch player and a points machine. Trading him would be foolish unless it is for a ridiculous haul. He will get better positionally/defensively.

3 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Hughes isn’t ‘the’ or ‘a’ problem. The idea of trading him is outrageous. 

I don't think He's fhes is a problem in any way, shape or form.  Quite the opposite, he's a solution.......or could be

Edited by stawns

5 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Hughes isn’t ‘the’ or ‘a’ problem. The idea of trading him is outrageous. 

I agree. It carries a lot of risk. If we trade for a bunch of futures and they don't turn out we're really screwed.  It's not a trade we need to make so if we do decide to  then it has to be a massive overpayment.  

Edited by High and Inside
  • Thanks 1