The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Rangers at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 15, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

There was some experts a few weeks ago who said we'd never catch the Yotes 

I didn't think we had a chance to compete with Arizona in the tank battle. Happy to be proven wrong on that one but still a long way to go.  

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Omg, don't these lovers have anything better to do. This isn't some Bruce vs RT thing. Pathetic :unsure:

Lovers or losers?  haha 

2 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I get that building a winning culture and identiy takes some time but the on-ice performance of this team under new headcoach Tocchet has been pretty underwhelming, to say the least. If a coach like Bruce Boudreau with all his experience of hundreds of NHL games coached in this league isn't able to establish the right culture and fix problems like the penalty kill and the overall defensive awareness and the compete level a coach like Rick won't get it done either.

Way too early to be pinning stuff on our new coaching staff.  

This team has terrible defensive habits and is out of shape.  Tocchet is making them work hard by not giving them days off like Bruce did.  

Bruce and Green showed that this team doesn't deserve a player's coach, they need some tough love and to improve their practice habits.  

Being called soft, out of shape, and with bad practice habits is some of the worst things you can hear about a team.  

39 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I get that building a winning culture and identiy takes some time but the on-ice performance of this team under new headcoach Tocchet has been pretty underwhelming, to say the least. If a coach like Bruce Boudreau with all his experience of hundreds of NHL games coached in this league isn't able to establish the right culture and fix problems like the penalty kill and the overall defensive awareness and the compete level a coach like Rick won't get it done either.

Tocchet are in both tank and analyse mode.

The win bit is not important.

Hence letting prospects develop in AHL. You probably know what Benning and Green would have done. 
Silovs doing well in AHL so he get a shot at NHL to see what he need to practise and so on…

• Cheers 2
  • Tanks a lot 1

9 games below 0.500 now, Arizona just lept us in the standings. I know this is great for the tank but man must this be an embarassing team to play on. Those goals against were so sloppy too, the wide open Vesey against Bear and Hughes sums it up.

I can see players happy to lose the rest of this year but no way do they stick around (Petey, Hughes, Miller even) if we're this bad to start next year.

How long is it fair to give Rick before we realise it's not just a structure problem?

• Tanks a lot 1

3 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Yes indeed. we need to get him back in the line-up ASAP so we can continue the tank!    If he's out for any amount of time it might ruin things and we'll start climbing back up the standings.   

I'll light an extra candle for him at church tomorrow that he's back soon.

No way - shut him down.  Open up LTIR cap space and take on the worst expiring contracts possible for picks.  Connor Bedard isn't going to help our blueline down the stretch.  Middle round picks, 6th/7th, doesn't matter.  We have no depth.

• Vintage 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

If people were paying attention during the pre/post games in the last week ... Tocchet even said Kuz is all about learning and understanding exactly this.

There never was an issue. 

im so happy we signed him... this is the type of player we need

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Tanks a lot 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I didn't think we had a chance to compete with Arizona in the tank battle. Happy to be proven wrong on that one but still a long way to go.  

arizona was a winning team the first 15 games... maybe they are turning a corner and abandoning their tank

• Tanks a lot 1

All I can say is, I don't care anymore, these games are painful to watch, even watching eight to ten minutes of highlights on YouTube sucks. Tocchet is great for the tank because he sucks as a coach, hopefully, if they get some instant help in the draft, Raty turns out to be better than he currently looks on paper and ready for next season, and management can find some undervalued defensive help, then they can hire a real coach, like Brad Shaw, who had defensive systems that actually worked for this team.

Edited by canuckleheads fan
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

Something quite odd is I've noticed we've been killing it in the faceoffs since Bo left. 63% tonight against the Rangers...I wonder if anyone has the overall average stats since Bo's departure/Tocchet arrived because I swear we're more often than not well over 50%.

Of course we suck in all the important categories like PK and GAA but just thought that was interesting, wonder if it's more a coaching skills change that has resulted in everyone being a bit better.

• Like 2
  • Tanks a lot 1