The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where's The Appreciation?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

4 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

While I'd love to share your youthful optimism, may I remind you that for most long-time NORMAL Canuck fans, "in the moment" all we see is this team in 27th place (just 5 measly losses from being dead last in the entire NHL) and out of the playoffs again for the umpteenth time (AGAIN) over the last decade and NO SIGN OF IMPROVEMENT what-so-ever on the horizon after 52 straight years of suffering and defeat.  

So, with that, can I simply ask if you could kindly share the name of the medication you're using?    I think I need some!

Beakers GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

Beer is your friend :)

Happy Hour Drinking GIF

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

My hope is we get lucky in the lottery and get another franchise type player.  With a few moves on defence we can be the Colorado Avalanche and go from the Outhouse to the Penthouse in less than 5 years...

This would be the dream scenario... 

• Vintage 2

12 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

How about we compliment the stars we have with more. 

Ya they need about 3 more stars, younger ones.

11 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Benning was good at drafting.  You can fault him for trading away draft picks, that's fair.  

Anyways I think OP said the exact same thing as you, just with a different outlook.  He even didn't include Boeser, Silovs, and Podkolzin.  Just the most important three players that Canucks can/should build on: Hughes, Petey, and Demko.  

It's all about perspective, and outlook. 

:lol: Joking right? all those 1rst round picks and only 2 in the 20's, I think the potatoes did better. And of course the ballyhooed disagreement with Brackett over signing Pettersson instead of Glass. 

11 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Getting a pick from 5th overall to about 10th overall can guarantee us the best RHD prospect of this draft class, or an almost sure-fire 2nd line center of the future.  

Just saying that they're a reason to be happy with more then just the four picks of the draft.  The top four are varying degrees of potential superstars/stars though. 

98% of the time

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey is our modern day Bure.  Appreciate him while you can.  He won't be around forever, and when he is gone you will wish you appreciated him more.  This happened to me when Bure was traded.  I was depressed for a long time...

Petey's 7 th year coming up, he is 26yrs old in 2024 and not had an earned playoff game

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Benning would have made a great AGM.  That's his ceiling.  He never should have been a GM and be in charge of everything.  Put him in charge of drafting and scouting, that's his area of expertise.  That's what he did in Boston.  Another team should hire him for that...

No in Boston he was not in charge of drafting, he got removed from that job, look up his history and then watch some of the youtube videos of the Bruins Behind the scene's stuff, he just sits there with arms crossed most of the time agreeing with whoever, there is even or was one video with the head scout and the GM.

The last 2 GM's were working from two different slates, Gillis was getting very late rounds to draft from with a team in a cup window so ne players were never likely to crack the line up, Benning on the other hand had a clean slate and could draft multiple picks in the top 10 and first round, his second round picks were only 4 behind Gillis' firsts in some years.

Thanks to Benning this team will have used up Demko, Pettersson and Hughes' best years just getting corrected, jeez, Petey was drafted in 2017, Demko 2014.

This management group has the opportunity to do something not done here before, do a build properly. There are reason's why these expansion teams are doing so well and that is because they build and select players to play together whereas the Canucks search for a player to play with ?

Benning was so great at drafting, well let's see how these guys do not that this team is theirs for a full season, lets see if they can find more than 3 NHL starters players out of 10 1rst round picks. Just to keep all on the same time frame, Hoglander and Podkilzin were drafted 4 years ago neither is a regular yet.

They can be appreciated for their perseverance if nothing else but they are compensated fairly well for enduring all the losing.

• Cheers 2

16 hours ago, Devron said:

Preach it man. It pisses me off actually the way Petey and Hughes have been talked about in the past. I remember Quinn’s second year struggles. The threads made about his +/- were gross. He was 19/20 years old. Peteys contract season people wanted to send him to the minors or trade him. That he was selfish etc. I remember a lot of these posters. I don’t forget.

I would love Bedard on this team but where is the respect for Petey and Hughes. I still don’t see it. Quinn leads the team in +/- on an absolute dumpster fire team. Yet he’s a liability in his own end. C’mon. 

Rant over 

Well, they both were contract hold outs one year and it took Petey forever to get in the groove which cost us another season.

I'll appreciate them more if they take us to a SCF, which won't happen until we get more like them - so yes, Bedard would be a franchising changing player.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Well, they both were contract hold outs one year and it took Petey forever to get in the groove which cost us another season.

I'll appreciate them more if they take us to a SCF, which won't happen until we get more like them - so yes, Bedard would be a franchising changing player.

For sure but today this is what we got and I think that was the point of the OP

• Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Technically they weren’t holdouts. Petey and Quinn were RFAs, who signed before the season started. A player isn’t a holdout until they miss regular season games. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Benning certainly was (is) a nicer person than his predecessor and current management.  

Yeah I liked Benning. Wasn’t perfect by all means. He did some good moves and some bad moves but he is a good person from what I can tell 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

41 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Could/should we trade both of our firsts for the 1st overall?   assuming we get the islanders first. 

If this was the path we are going to go down it would need to be figured out fairly soon. Miller would need to be moved to make room and we would need to know for sure NY would be giving up their pick this year. Then we need to know who is getting the #1 pick and then have a deal in place with them. A lot of variables to make it work.

A more realistic approach would be to move down to get the defenseman we so badly need. Hughes/Demko really need help and that should be the priority if we are building around Petey and Hughes.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Technically they weren’t holdouts. Petey and Quinn were RFAs, who signed before the season started. A player isn’t a holdout until they miss regular season games. 

Disagree on that one. In particular Pettersson should have been in camp coming off the injury. He's was very slow out of the gate and realistically wasted a year.

With that said, to answer the OP,  he's certainly coming into his own as is Hughes. I appreciate their play but I'm pretty done with the mis-management on this team and expecting them to bolt when they get the chance.

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

Could/should we trade both of our firsts for the 1st overall?   assuming we get the islanders first. 

No GM wouldmake that trade. A 1st overall is never worth just two lower 1sts. It'll take a massive haul. Multi firsts plus petey or hughes imo.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

Well you complained about the league worst PK, where it was almost a certain goal. Lazar is part of that problem. 
it wasn't like that with Beagle. Overpaid? Maybe, but he played his position well. 

Well, I guess we have that high wage player in Mikheyev.  Our PK units, when healthy, are actually quite expensive.  You have Mikheyev, Pettersson, Miller up front, and of course our star-studded blueline covering the back.

Lazar is an interesting player because his stats (which were really bad) do not match some of his analytics (which are much better, if not good).  He was a very dependable PKer in Boston, and he earned a solid 3-yr contract.  On paper, the PK should've been much better with Lazar and Mikheyev, and money was spent.  So I think the issue lies deeper, and it points toward coaching systems.

• Vintage 1

59 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Well, I guess we have that high wage player in Mikheyev.  Our PK units, when healthy, are actually quite expensive.  You have Mikheyev, Pettersson, Miller up front, and of course our star-studded blueline covering the back.

Lazar is an interesting player because his stats (which were really bad) do not match some of his analytics (which are much better, if not good).  He was a very dependable PKer in Boston, and he earned a solid 3-yr contract.  On paper, the PK should've been much better with Lazar and Mikheyev, and money was spent.  So I think the issue lies deeper, and it points toward coaching systems.

Cheers Bob. 

yes i was not having a go at you, cause we all know the teams have in general been unbalanced under Benning, with some passengers for what ever reason over the years... expensive ones (Vrabata, Eriksson, OEL and partially Myers), 

I totally agree bottom six and bottom 3 in particular should not be taking much of the cap, but I think our bottom six should be able to take the majority of the PK duties. 

I'm not a fan of Petey PK'ing, which is a shame, as he is quite good at it, but I always fear he'll sustain an injury from a slapper. 

Agree 100% that Mika should PK and probably even Miller, but preferrably the bottom six could manage...

If players like Lazar or similar could do that duties at the minor salaries they are on, it would be perfect. 

if Tocchet can turn our bottom six into better PK units, I think we'll be going places, but if take a few bobs to make it better, I think its worth it. 

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

If you miss training camp, and/or preseason, you held out.

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Cheers Bob. 

yes i was not having a go at you, cause we all know the teams have in general been unbalanced under Benning, with some passengers for what ever reason over the years... expensive ones (Vrabata, Eriksson, OEL and partially Myers), 

I totally agree bottom six and bottom 3 in particular should not be taking much of the cap, but I think our bottom six should be able to take the majority of the PK duties. 

I'm not a fan of Petey PK'ing, which is a shame, as he is quite good at it, but I always fear he'll sustain an injury from a slapper. 

Agree 100% that Mika should PK and probably even Miller, but preferrably the bottom six could manage...

If players like Lazar or similar could do that duties at the minor salaries they are on, it would be perfect. 

if Tocchet can turn our bottom six into better PK units, I think we'll be going places, but if take a few bobs to make it better, I think its worth it. 

Three forwards who have dropped off defensively since joining Vancouver this year:

image.png.a045450bc668cdc23bcbc8b396328af0.pngimage.png.e7ef206796accd0e208dd3e28dca92e3.png

image.png.12b0299bf4f410091fecaabc8259e328.png

Analytics aren't everything, but it is telling that all three new players have struggled to keep the puck out of the net in 5v5 situations.  There is clearly some blame to go around here.  We've already fired our coach.  If the PK doesn't pick up, then who is at fault?  Players?  Management?  I don't have answers.