The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where's The Appreciation?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

1 hour ago, BarnBurner said:

Who cares? Stop living in the past. 

Obviously, mistakes were made. But it's insane to keep repeating what should have been. 

Appreciate the fact that we have Petey, Hughes and some other potentially powerful pieces to the puzzle. 

Indeed, too many Canuck fans suffer from PTSD.  When approached about it, you get some varying formula of "I've been a fan for ________ years, wouldn't you be as depressed as me?" 

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Benning was good at drafting.  You can fault him for trading away draft picks, that's fair.  

Anyways I think OP said the exact same thing as you, just with a different outlook.  He even didn't include Boeser, Silovs, and Podkolzin.  Just the most important three players that Canucks can/should build on: Hughes, Petey, and Demko.  

It's all about perspective, and outlook. 

Maybe as a scout or in an assistant GM role, when he could devout more time to scouting Benning was good at the draft. But as a GM he was not good at all. He tended to laser in on a guy he liked and overruled his scouts, unless they agreed. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Maybe as a scout or in an assistant GM role, when he could devout more time to scouting Benning was good at the draft. But as a GM he was not good at all. He tended to laser in on a guy he liked and overruled his scouts, unless they agreed. 

Benning would have made a great AGM.  That's his ceiling.  He never should have been a GM and be in charge of everything.  Put him in charge of drafting and scouting, that's his area of expertise.  That's what he did in Boston.  Another team should hire him for that...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm glad that he lasered onto Petey and Quinn.  Juolevi got ruined by three year-ending injuries and that was that. 

You can dislike Benning for many different areas of being a GM.  People that focus in on his drafting and try and make a case that it was bad are coming into it with extreme bias. 

1 hour ago, BarnBurner said:

Who cares? Stop living in the past. 

Obviously, mistakes were made. But it's insane to keep repeating what should have been. 

Appreciate the fact that we have Petey, Hughes and some other potentially powerful pieces to the puzzle. 

Of course. But the thread is about appreciating Benning. No thanks to that. Benning seemed like a nice person, but he was without doubt the worst GM in our club’s history. We went from the most successful in Gillis to the worst in Benning. Benning was a nicer person though. That’s obvious. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey is our modern day Bure.  Appreciate him while you can.  He won't be around forever, and when he is gone you will wish you appreciated him more.  This happened to me when Bure was traded.  I was depressed for a long time...

Yeah, we are seeing Petey become a man on the ice.  The void that's been left by the Bo trade is being filled by Petey and Quinn.  Kuzmenko is also starting to shine more and more.  JT Miller is the steady rock.  

I'm still on Team Tank for this year, but I've really enjoyed watching our team play over the last two games. You can tell that all the players were thrilled for such dramatic come-from behind results. 

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah, we are seeing Petey become a man on the ice.  The void that's been left by the Bo trade is being filled by Petey and Quinn.  Kuzmenko is also starting to shine more and more.  JT Miller is the steady rock.  

I'm still on Team Tank for this year, but I've really enjoyed watching our team play over the last two games. You can tell that all the players were thrilled for such dramatic come-from behind results. 

My hope is we get lucky in the lottery and get another franchise type player.  With a few moves on defence we can be the Colorado Avalanche and go from the Outhouse to the Penthouse in less than 5 years...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

My hope is we get lucky in the lottery and get another franchise type player.  With a few moves on defence we can be the Colorado Avalanche and go from the Outhouse to the Penthouse in less than 5 years...

You gonna need 2-3 to then it will be slowly uphill.

Need a good next two drafts where we add 2-3 new core members. We can’t limit ourselves to just free agency to add and we shouldn’t be spending picks/prospects for shortcuts at the current moment. 

After 2-3 years when most of the dead cap is cleared and the prospect pool will be built so you can start to add, develop and go up from there.  At that point with a bunch of cap and a prospect pool you can explore every mean of adding to the team(trade, from within, free agency). 

Horvat trade was a good start and the type of return we need. More needs to be done though. If anyone is willing to pay a quality price for our guys I say let them.  I only have 2 untouchables in Petey/Hughes. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Benning was good at drafting.  You can fault him for trading away draft picks, that's fair.  

Anyways I think OP said the exact same thing as you, just with a different outlook.  He even didn't include Boeser, Silovs, and Podkolzin.  Just the most important three players that Canucks can/should build on: Hughes, Petey, and Demko.  

Benning was all over the place when it came to drafting.  He definitely hit some real home runs with Petey and Hughes - and some absolute strikeouts with Virtanen and Juolevi.  Podkolzin is still very young and will likely do well in the NHL, but other players drafted right after him (ie. Boldy, Caufield, Newhook) are all solid pieces that teams are already building on right now.

Right after the bubble, the Canucks were perceived to be an up and coming team with an exciting young core.  Now that that core has entered its prime, it's a mess.  Horvat is gone.  Boeser is probably going to be gone before the end of the summer.  We now have new core players, with two massive contracts in Miller and OEL.  Nobody thinks the Canucks are anywhere close to elite contention now.  We had something exciting for the future and watched management burn most of it away.  We can only appreciate Pettersson and Hughes because they are obviously not going to get traded.  Every other skater is hard to truly support, since as fans we are half-expecting them to get traded away at some point.

42 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Indeed, too many Canuck fans suffer from PTSD.  When approached about it, you get some varying formula of "I've been a fan for ________ years, wouldn't you be as depressed as me?" 

Agreed. I've been a fan since the Canucks inception. Geez. 

If anything, someone like me should be in dire need of winning, which I always want, but please. 

Spare me the friggin' BS of some of these Calamity Janes. 

When you really think about it, it's a true reflection of how these types of people are in their own lives. 

It's insane. I hope they seek serious help. 

• Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Of course. But the thread is about appreciating Benning. No thanks to that. Benning seemed like a nice person, but he was without doubt the worst GM in our club’s history. We went from the most successful in Gillis to the worst in Benning. Benning was a nicer person though. That’s obvious. 

It's supposed to be a thread about appreciating the fact that we have Petey and Hughes, which was mentioned

that they were drafted during Benning's tenure. 

This isn't about Benning love or hate. It's about appreciating the fact that we have a couple of young outstanding players. 

Nothing more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

When Colorado hit rock bottom, it took them around 8 years to figure things out and become a competitive team.  Getting a generational D-man turned them into true cup contenders.  That rebuild began with Gabriel Landeskog in 2011.  I don't even know if Vancouver has truly hit rock bottom yet.  It's difficult to truly rebuild a team if you're not truly willing to let go of everyone.  A scary thought indeed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Petey is one of the best young players in the game, & a budding superstar. In Nov, 2018 I made a (Would U?) proposal, asking if you would trade him 1-for-1 for ANYone(including McD) in the league. Go back 89 pages in the proposal section..comments are now closed, but it sure is there. I still stand by the sentiment. To think we've had this bloke for 3 ELC yrs, then a bridge of 3 x 7 is a true blessing.

Then there's QH, who impresses me more with each passing season. In goal, would say TD showed his true colours in the Lost Wages series..but his health has simply been a misfortune.

We constantly slag JB..yet the guy drafted these 3 key pieces, that in 5 decades prior, seems no GM could land. Yes his hyperactive over-signings botched things up. But we should keep in mind how these cornerstones were finally acquired.

So much salivating over Bedard. Sure it'd be wonderful to luck-out & land this kid. Personally feel the lotto's a rigged deck, & the league'd never allow it..whatever.

Maybe it's simply high time we truly appreciate the young stars we have. Accept the previous gaffes, & look forwards optimistically. With the pieces in place, proper development of youth, & cap opening soon, we should be on the upswing in fairly short order.

Seems like appreciation is impossible if one can never live in the moment.

While I'd love to share your youthful optimism, may I remind you that for most long-time NORMAL Canuck fans, "in the moment" all we see is this team in 27th place (just 5 measly losses from being dead last in the entire NHL) and out of the playoffs again for the umpteenth time (AGAIN) over the last decade and NO SIGN OF IMPROVEMENT what-so-ever on the horizon after 52 straight years of suffering and defeat.  

So, with that, can I simply ask if you could kindly share the name of the medication you're using?    I think I need some!

Beakers GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

Edited by RU SERIOUS
NHL
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Petey is one of the best young players in the game, & a budding superstar. In Nov, 2018 I made a (Would U?) proposal, asking if you would trade him 1-for-1 for ANYone(including McD) in the league. Go back 89 pages in the proposal section..comments are now closed, but it sure is there. I still stand by the sentiment. To think we've had this bloke for 3 ELC yrs, then a bridge of 3 x 7 is a true blessing.

Then there's QH, who impresses me more with each passing season. In goal, would say TD showed his true colours in the Lost Wages series..but his health has simply been a misfortune.

We constantly slag JB..yet the guy drafted these 3 key pieces, that in 5 decades prior, seems no GM could land. Yes his hyperactive over-signings botched things up. But we should keep in mind how these cornerstones were finally acquired.

So much salivating over Bedard. Sure it'd be wonderful to luck-out & land this kid. Personally feel the lotto's a rigged deck, & the league'd never allow it..whatever.

Maybe it's simply high time we truly appreciate the young stars we have. Accept the previous gaffes, & look forwards optimistically. With the pieces in place, proper development of youth, & cap opening soon, we should be on the upswing in fairly short order.

Seems like appreciation is impossible if one can never live in the moment.

Didn't Burke draft the Sedins and Kesler?  Quin Linden and Bure, Ohlund ... Milford draft some beauties too - nothing as top tier but a dozen or so beauties in four years.  

Aside from that EP has the potential to end up the best of the bunch, and QHs is also special.     Demko well Schneider so far was a better pick.    Jury is still out.   Facts are we need some great drafting and some savy trades if EPs going to end up the next of the group.   Hope the team can manage that, this is definitely his time, and glad he's so darn exceptional. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Love Elias Petterson, Love Hughes, Love Kuzmenko, Love Schenn

Past Loves: Really Hoping Mikheyev and Demko will turn it around when they get back from injury... They would be in my Love column if they were healthy and playing their best...

New love: Bear and AB, finding players like these that can elevate their game when playing with Hughes and EP is so important... need more players that can punch up

Bitter Sweet Love: Garland, Miller, Boeser... all these players have made me fall in love, but they keep breaking my heart.

Toxic Relationship: Myers, sometimes he blows me away... sometimes he gets me raging when he caught Lying down

Edited by Cup_Joneser
  • Tanks a lot 1

9 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

When Colorado hit rock bottom, it took them around 8 years to figure things out and become a competitive team.  Getting a generational D-man turned them into true cup contenders.  That rebuild began with Gabriel Landeskog in 2011.  I don't even know if Vancouver has truly hit rock bottom yet.  It's difficult to truly rebuild a team if you're not truly willing to let go of everyone.  A scary thought indeed.

Thing is, once they traded away half their assets from their first crack at it (so far we've traded away one rental in Horvat), they drafted Makar and five years later won a cup.   And it was a quick turnaround, just as they were contenders 3 of those years.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Beagle and Roussel were serviceable players, but those contracts were too good to refuse.  Even more so for Poolman, who would've probably had to try out for a team that fall.

Curtis Lazar is the obvious example of an effective defensive forward who signed for cheap.  Anything under $1.75M/yr for obvious bottom six FWDs is fine with me.

Well you complained about the league worst PK, where it was almost a certain goal. Lazar is part of that problem. 
it wasn't like that with Beagle. Overpaid? Maybe, but he played his position well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

The myth of Benning the draft genius didn’t hold up in the end. We all clung to it hoping it would be true because his pro scouting was atrocious and his cap management was worse and his overall asset management even worse. 
We hoped and hoped his drafting would pull us through but it just didn’t. His record at the top of the draft wasn’t that good in the end and he rarely pulled anything out of the draft after the first round. When he left we had one of the worst prospect cupboards in the league with no D or C of note coming, just wingers and a couple long shot goalies. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Thanks 1