The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blues trade Ivan Barbashev to Golden Knights for Zach Dean

16 minutes ago, the harry said:

That leaves NJ for Meier.

This trade doesn't take them out for Meier.  Vegas just put Stone and his 9.5M on LTIR.  Barbashev is only a 2.25M cap hit.  Meier has a 6M cap hit - at 50% retained that's only 3M.   

LeBrun has Vegas and NJD as the final 2 teams for Meier.  

Edited by mll

1 minute ago, mll said:

This trade doesn't take them out for Meier.  Vegas just put Stone and his 9.5M on LTIR.  Barbashev is only a 2.25M cap hit.  Meier has 6M cap hit - at 50% retained that's only 3M.   

LeBrun has Vegas and NJD as the final 2 teams for Meier.  

Meier's QO is the sticking point.  Even if he signs a lesser deal, the Knights can't take him past this year without heroic juggling and the Devil's risk becoming insanely top heavy if they take him as he makes other younger more cost effective and quality players redundant

Sure NJD could trade them.  But losing 2-3 good to potentially great players for Meier is a serious gamble if they keep him past this year.  If they don't that QO to contend with makes him an anchor to trade his rights for

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Meier's QO is the sticking point.  Even if he signs a lesser deal, the Knights can't take him past this year without heroic juggling and the Devil's risk becoming insanely top heavy if they take him as he makes other younger more cost effective and quality players redundant

Sure NJD could trade them.  But losing 2-3 good to potentially great players for Meier is a serious gamble if they keep him past this year.  If they don't that QO to contend with makes him an anchor to trade his rights for

They are still the 2 teams in heavy pursuit for Meier.  He's likely to be traded without an extension in place per Friedman.  His QO is an off-season issue but not for these playoffs.  

Edited by mll

4 minutes ago, mll said:

They are still the 2 teams in heavy pursuit for Meier.  He's likely to be traded without an extension in place per Friedman.  His QO is an off-season issue but not for these playoffs.  

Someone is going to have serious buyers remorse there and I think it's gonna be NJ.

They'll pay a premium for him.  Lose further assets if they try to retain him or risk being stuck with his potential contract and some arbitration issues.

I don't see how Vegas has the capital to make it happen.

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Someone is going to have serious buyers remorse there and I think it's gonna be NJ.

They'll pay a premium for him.  Lose further assets if they try to retain him or risk being stuck with his potential contract and some arbitration issues.

I don't see how Vegas has the capital to make it happen.

He's the most impactful rental still available. Even Carolina was looking to acquire him with them even willing to let him play on his 10M QO next season - SJS informed them last night that they were out.

Bratt was eligible for an extension already on 1 January.  Their past 2 negotiations have been complicated.  Last time around he even refused to negotiate where NJD were presented with only 2 options - either had to pay him long term (he was asking for more than Hughes) or just give him a 1-year.  If neither Bratt or Meier are willing to take a reasonable deal they might end up having to decide between the two.  NJD is a rather light team up front so they migth prefer what Meier brings despite what Bratt has done so far for their team.  

Meier, Hischier, Siegenthaler have known each other since they were kids.  NJD's window is just opening.  Don't really see why he would want to look elsewhere if he can get a reasonable deal.  

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

I get it. JT is a bit of a lightning rod type player. I like him a lot though as a fit for this team.

I like him too and if the main sticking point is his age and cap hit for some...

I'd much rather have Miller on the squad than say OEL and Myers.

Yet if we could move out Miller for a solid return, I hope MGMT would at least consider it. 

• Like 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Nothing to do with JT the player or any "lightning rod-iness". I was one of the few people thrilled when we traded for him, and currently his play continues to exceed even my lofty expectations.

Entirely to do with what's best for the organization long term. And IMO, that's getting value for him in trade, age alignment, multiplying assets, clearing cap and BUILDING.

Gotcha. Your angle has a lot to do with how you want to see the team revamp and the age JT is at once this team resembles any form of competiveness. 

• Vintage 2

43 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

I like him too and if the main sticking point is his age and cap hit for some...

I'd much rather have Miller on the squad than say OEL and Myers.

Yet if we could move out Miller for a solid return, I hope MGMT would at least consider it. 

It's too bad OEL and his anchor contract are here. Really, one iffy contract moving forward isn't concerning but more than one can be. I'm just a fan of JT and I think he brings a flavor to the room that is much needed. Along with a some nice skills. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1