The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Sharks trade Timo Meier, Scott Harrington, Timur Ibragimov, Santeri Hatakka, Zach Emond, 2024 5th-RD to Devils for Fabian Zetterlund, Andreas Johnsson, Nikita Okhotiuk, Shakir Mukhamadullin, 2023 1st-RD, conditional 2024 1st-RD, 2024 7th-RD

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Yes, that's why this is happening. But an argument can be made for competitive balance, as well as an angle from the NHLPA as to sitting a player for too long for no other reason other than protecting a trade asset. As it sits, there are no limits. It could get out of hand if not somewhat regulated.

Can't regulate everything though. Roster movement should be left to GM's. 

Teams who've locked down a playoff spot rest guys every season. I have zero issues with GM's protecting potential trade assets closer to the deadline. Wish we'd done some of that in the past. 

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Maybe, but free agency = higher cap hit and older player.  I can clearly see why Foote would be of interest to Nashville.

Nashville has never paid much for their D6/D7.  The only reason Fabbro played that many games is that Borowiecki has been injured.  

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Teams who've locked down a playoff spot rest guys every season. I have zero issues with GM's protecting potential trade assets closer to the deadline. Wish we'd done some of that in the past. 

Except I think teams have a responsibility to ice the best team possible don't they?  Similiar to a "fiduciary responsibility" to a board to make as much $ as possible?

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Except I think teams have a responsibility to ice the best team possible don't they?  Similiar to a "fiduciary responsibility" to a board to make as much $ as possible?

Unless that is written in policy like it usually is for a board, GMs can do whatever they want with players.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Why?  It actually happens a lot around the end of the season, teams in solid playoff spots rest players to be ready for a long Cup run.

None of the rules around salary cap, roster limits, etc are being breached.

They rest them for a couple games, not 6-10. The NHL already struggles to compete with the other sports leagues, watering down the on ice product is a terrible idea. 

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They shouldn't change anything.  This creates suspense and is good for the league.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You think the Sharks want their doctors to examine Holtz and Jersey won’t allow them to, or something like that? 

Doubt NJD would refuse.  They are intent on getting Meier.  Probably just for due diligence where SJS just want to review the medical records.  With Friedman saying not a major part of the deal - maybe not even Holtz.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1