The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Predators trade Tanner Jeannot to Lightning for Cal Foote, 2025 1st-round pick, 2024 2nd-round pick, 2023 3rd-round pick, 2023 4th-round pick, 2023 5th-round pick

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You get one player like that in maybe 15 drafts.

Just cause one third round pick panned out like that doesn’t mean another will

@Mike Vanderhoek listed a bunch of third round picks that turned into great players in another thread. 

The point is the more picks you have the more chances you have of getting a player who will contribute to your team. 

Do you think this is a good trade ? 

Cal Foote alone is the sort of player we need, a defensive minded RHD who is only 24. 

I suggest you go back through the draft's and see how many 3rd rounders contribute to a teams success. 

And not just 3rd rounders

How about this 4th rounder Drake Batherson ? 

24 on track for 67 points.

I could go on and on.

37 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You get one player like that in maybe 15 drafts.

Just cause one third round pick panned out like that doesn’t mean another will.

They drafted Brayden Point in the 3rd round in 2014 and then Anthony Cirelli in the 3rd round in 2015.  That's less than 15 years for two high impact players...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They drafted Brayden Point in the 3rd round in 2014 and then Anthony Cirelli in the 3rd round in 2015.  That's less than 15 years for two high impact players...

Cirelli is a good player but he’s no Point.

Completely different level of players. You can find players like Cirelli much easier.

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

And that's only one team. 

As I have stated go back through the draft's and check out how many players contribute to their teams from the later rounds. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

@Mike Vanderhoek listed a bunch of third round picks that turned into great players in another thread. 

The point is the more picks you have the more chances you have of getting a player who will contribute to your team. 

Do you think this is a good trade ? 

Cal Foote alone is the sort of player we need, a defensive minded RHD who is only 24. 

I suggest you go back through the draft's and see how many 3rd rounders contribute to a teams success. 

And not just 3rd rounders

How about this 4th rounder Drake Batherson ? 

24 on track for 67 points.

I could go on and on.

Listing all the great third round picks is such a silly argument though.

There’s MAYBE one really good player chosen in the third round every draft, sometimes none at all. The odds are the odds for third round picks. It’s very low you find a regular NHLer there.

I suggest you go back and look at drafts and see how many 3rd rounders never play more than a handful of NHL games. Cherry picking one’s that did pan out means nothing. A team gets really lucky with one of those picks once every 10 years.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Cirelli is a good player but he’s no Point.

Completely different level of players. You can find players like Cirelli much easier.

If it was so easy to find centres who are Selke trophy finalists in the 3rd round then why have the Canucks never been able to do it in over 52 years?

Just now, Ilunga said:

And that's only one team. 

As I have stated go back through the draft's and check out how many players contribute to their teams from the later rounds. 

Yep 3rd and 4th round picks have panned out for teams, no one’s arguing they haven’t…

The odds are very low that you’re gonna get a player in the third round or later.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

If it was so easy to find centres who are Selke trophy finalists in the 3rd round then why have the Canucks never been able to do it in over 52 years?

The Canucks have had very poor drafting. But you kinda just proved my point how rare it is to get those players in the third round…

Again teams get lucky but the odds are very low of finding a player like that there.

You can list all the third round picks that have panned out all you want but you’re lucky to see one high end player taken in the third round per draft. If you believe those are good odds, hey good for you. 

Cassels, Tryamkin, Madden, DiPietro, Lockwood, Brisebois. Those are the type of players you typically get with those picks.

• Like 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Listing all the great third round picks is such a silly argument though.

There’s MAYBE one really good player chosen in the third round every draft, sometimes none at all. The odds are the odds for third round picks. It’s very low you find a regular NHLer there.

I suggest you go back and look at drafts and see how many 3rd rounders never play more than a handful of NHL games. Cherry picking one’s that did pan out means nothing. A team gets really lucky with one of those picks once every 10 years.

Yeah whatever dude. 

Guess where Connor Garland was drafted ?

In the 5th round.

As I stated I could go on and on.

I regularly study past draft's.

I also put a lot of effort into researching prospects.

More picks mean more chances of getting a player, do you deny this obvious fact ?

I will ask you again, do you think this is a good trade for Tampa ? 

8 hours ago, HKSR said:

Did NOT see all those picks involved, but Foote made a ton of sense with Fabbro on his way out.  What did I tell ya @mll

Quite the gap in value.

Tampa had to remove a player from their roster to make the cap work and not lose a contract spot re the 50 contract limit. Still not sure if he was a targeted return vs a cap casualty as the most expendable player on their roster.   Only 25 games played this season while Perbix called up from Syracuse and still waiver free has played 48.

Feels more like a throw in (Nashville was initially asking for 2x 1st per Seravalli) and maybe Nashville does see him as Fabbro's replacement in that D6/D7 role with his QO only at 850K vs having to go out and find a league minimum vet.  He was clearly not anywhere close from a 1-for-1. 

Curious to see what kind of team Trotz wants to build and their direction now that Poile is retiring  - he's coming in when Nashville is caught in no man's land.

Edited by mll
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Yeah whatever dude. 

Guess where Connor Garland was drafted ?

In the 5th round.

As I stated I could go on and on.

I regularly study past draft's.

I also put a lot of effort into researching prospects.

More picks mean more chances of getting a player, do you deny this obvious fact ?

I will ask you again, do you think this is a good trade for Tampa ? 

You keep mentioning players who have panned out like it changes the odds…

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The Canucks have had very poor drafting. But you kinda just proved my point how rare it is to get those players in the third round…

Again teams get lucky but the odds are very low of finding a player like that there.

You can list all the third round picks that have panned out all you want but you’re lucky to see one high end player taken in the third round per draft. If you believe those are good odds, hey good for you. 

Cassels, Tryamkin, Madden, DiPietro, Lockwood, Brisebois. Those are the type of players you typically get with those picks.

Sure, I get it.  But if that was the case then teams would just use the stawns thinking and trade away all of their draft picks.  Teams are built primarily using the draft.

Ironically, Tanner Jeannot went undrafted, and then was traded away for 5 draft picks plus a former 1st round pick only 3 years after he signed his first contract.  Draft picks can also be used as collateral.  If Tampa had no picks then they wouldn't have been able to trade for Jeannot in the first place.

I get what Tampa did, they feel they are one player away from getting that cup again and Jeannot is the player they coveted.  If they win the cup, then it really doesn't matter.  But in normal circumstances, it's completely assinine to trade away 5+ picks for one player, and is almost unheard of in sports in genera unless it is for a high impact franchise player.

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

This is a ridiculous trade. 

Yeah, it's crazy. I wasn't aware that Jeannot was a top six player. I mean, for a top six player, yes, this kind of makes sense to be giving away so many draft capital, and a prospect as well. Tampa Bay probably sees something that none of us are seeing? 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sure, I get it.  But if that was the case then teams would just use the stawns thinking and trade away all of their draft picks.  Teams are built primarily using the draft.

Ironically, Tanner Jeannot went undrafted, and then was traded away for 5 draft picks plus a former 1st round pick only 3 years after he signed his first contract.  Draft picks can also be used as collateral.  If Tampa had no picks then they wouldn't have been able to trade for Jeannot in the first place.

I get what Tampa did, they feel they are one player away from getting that cup again and Jeannot is the player they coveted.  If they win the cup, then it really doesn't matter.  But in normal circumstances, it's completely assinine to trade away 5+ picks for one player, and is almost unheard of in sports in genera unless it is for a high impact franchise player.

Well, Tampa Bay is all in. They lost to Colorado last year right? 

But yeah, five draft picks for a player that isn't a top six player is insane. 

5 hours ago, stawns said:

So?  Thats the point.......GM's desperate to match other teams moves make dumb decisions.  Good GM's understand how to use that leverage to capitalize on that stupidity.

Problem is, if they don't, you are stuck with the same old...

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush etc.

• There it is 1

12 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, it's crazy. I wasn't aware that Jeannot was a top six player. I mean, for a top six player, yes, this kind of makes sense to be giving away so many draft capital, and a prospect as well. Tampa Bay probably sees something that none of us are seeing? 

The only thing I can deduce from this trade from their perspective is that they believe Tanner is a big body that will help them in the playoffs. 

He also seems to have played on their first PP unit, there are now only 3 players listed on it. 

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/nashville-predators/line-combinations

He is - 1 for the year so that's not bad for a guy playing first PP and bottom line minutes. 

Still I believe this is a stupid amount to give up for a player of his calibre.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Odd. said:

Why does that look like a better Return than Horvat 

lol. because it is when you consider the pieces involved.

a 25 year old third line winger who hasn't even cracked 15 points this year for a young, potential top 4 defenceman and a plethora of picks.

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson

i find it hilarious that in the meier thread most fans on these message boards were ridiculing the sharks for the return and comparing it to the already completed Bo Horvat deal.

now in this Jeannot one, people are salty that NSH absolutely fleeced TBL and again are comparing it to the already completed Horvat deal.

What, are you gonna complain to PA to turn back the time so he could rescind the trade and do it over now to another team? lmao.

The Horvat deal is finished.

We got what we got (which was a decent return, i don't think it was too impressive but it was also not bad).

Stop comparing them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

The only thing I can deduce from this trade from their perspective is that they believe Tanner is a big body that will help them in the playoffs. 

He also seems to have played on their first PP unit, there are now only 3 players listed on it. 

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/nashville-predators/line-combinations

He is - 1 for the year so that's not bad for a guy playing first PP and bottom line minutes. 

Still I believe this is a stupid amount to give up for a player of his calibre.

Surprise, of the price as well and Brisebois has sold off most of their picks in the foreseeable future.  It is obvious, they are still going all in, with the current core.