The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Predators trade Tanner Jeannot to Lightning for Cal Foote, 2025 1st-round pick, 2024 2nd-round pick, 2023 3rd-round pick, 2023 4th-round pick, 2023 5th-round pick

11 minutes ago, rekker said:

Good grief. This trade. I get the fundamentals of it. Just can't believe Tampa paid that. 

I think they aren’t worried too much about Sunday Drafting,.    I think this might be their last 2 seasons to bring it home again,. 
When ever they decide to pull the plug and rebuild ,   They have talent that will rapidly move for 1st round picks on future TDLines.

I don’t think they gave much up for Jeannot ,

who really still has to prove himself too.

Their isn’t much quality in the quantity of those unforeseen picks going to Nashville.. even the 1st round of 2025 is sure to be late.

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm just curious as to how the negotiations went.  I mean did Nashville refuse the deal unless Tampa included their 5th round pick?  I mean when do you stop negotiating with something like that?  Does it depend who is more drunk?

I can’t even fathom it.  In most situations I would say Jeannot for a 2nd alone is fair.  The rest is beyond imagination.  

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Neutral said:

I want Tampa to beat the Laffs, but wow they sure paid a lot...Is he going to be that kind of difference maker for them!?

Personally I can see him terrorizing the Leafs ala Ferland in 2015. Kinda like the Hagel trade, they paid a lot for him - but it's seemed to work out okay. Both guys are on terrific contracts, which adds a ton of appeal to both guys. Definitely an intriguing move for the Lightning, and probably the craziest one we'll see before the deadline comes...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Personally I can see him terrorizing the Leafs ala Ferland in 2015. Kinda like the Hagel trade, they paid a lot for him - but it's seemed to work out okay. Both guys are on terrific contracts, which adds a ton of appeal to both guys. Definitely an intriguing move for the Lightning, and probably the craziest one we'll see before the deadline comes...

A perfect example of a what a championship team sees as being important. Many just look at points and fail to look at the players intangibles(character). These guys are what put championship teams over the top and they appear to be expensive to acquire. ::D

4 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I agree.  I think the plan is to terrorize the Jersey and Leafs forwards who are on the small side.  Same with Boston.  The Eastern Conference contenders don't really have a Jeannot in their lineup.  Most likely why they had to severely overpay.  I kinda get the logic of the trade now after reviewing it for awhile.  It's still a massive overpayment, but I think Tampa was targeting that one guy they felt they needed to take them over the top...

54 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Linden actually wanted to rebuild, Aquilini refused and fired him.  Also, Petey is a superstar and hasn't even entered his prime years yet.  So, yes you do have to keep him happy...

Linden refused to rebuild before the Sedin's retired:

Canucks president Trevor Linden did a Q-and-A with Sportsnet's Luke Fox where he admitted that his loyalty to the franchise's all-time leading scorers takes priority over a potential rebuild.

"We have Daniel and Henrik Sedin here, who are very important to this organization and icons in the city. They're not going anywhere. I don't know how I walk into the room and tell these guys, 'Strip it down.' I'm not sure it's fair to these guys," said Linden. "There's different circumstances, be it in Toronto or Carolina or Vancouver, that require different routes. It's not perfect, but I'm encouraged by the young players we've introduced, and we've got some young prospects."

https://www.thescore.com/news/1173594-canucks-linden-a-rebuild-would-be-unfair-to-sedins?fb_comment_id=1175164522578209_1175762465851748/amp

Edited by dougieL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

So when are we supposed to start building a team? Should we get rid of everyone then and start over? Your statement is very confusing.

We need to start rebuilding now (should have started a while ago). Deals need to be made to open up a contending window that likely starts in the 2025-26 season.

41 minutes ago, dougieL said:

Linden refused to rebuild before the Sedin's retired:

Canucks president Trevor Linden did a Q-and-A with Sportsnet's Luke Fox where he admitted that his loyalty to the franchise's all-time leading scorers takes priority over a potential rebuild.

"We have Daniel and Henrik Sedin here, who are very important to this organization and icons in the city. They're not going anywhere. I don't know how I walk into the room and tell these guys, 'Strip it down.' I'm not sure it's fair to these guys," said Linden. "There's different circumstances, be it in Toronto or Carolina or Vancouver, that require different routes. It's not perfect, but I'm encouraged by the young players we've introduced, and we've got some young prospects."

https://www.thescore.com/news/1173594-canucks-linden-a-rebuild-would-be-unfair-to-sedins?fb_comment_id=1175164522578209_1175762465851748/amp

It made zero sense to stall the rebuild for those two. Zero. Sense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • There it is 1

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The franchise should come before the player except maybe on the very rarest of occasions and for the very rarest of players. As good as they were on and off the ice, the Sedin's are certainly NOT those players.

• Tanks a lot 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

In the end Tampa doesn’t care about late 3rds, 4ths, and 5ths. Those picks will more than likely equal nothing.

A 1st and a 2nd is a lot to pay for Jeannot, but it’s not that crazy when you look at what teams have paid for role players and tough guys in the past.

Their 3rd round pick from 2014 is their top line centre and is on track to score 96 points this year.  

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/tampa-bay-lightning/line-combinations 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/62204/brayden-point

Sure draft picks are lottery tickets however the more tickets you have, the more chance you have to pick a player that will eventually contribute to your team.

Each team only gets 7 picks each year.

This is a ridiculous trade. 

Trading that many picks and a 24 year old RHD-man who was a 12th/ first round pick, for a bottom six 6 player with 152 regular season games and 9 playoff games experience. 

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I mean, I didn't mind it. Did it set us back a few years? Yes. But the real drop the ball moment was after it was clear we couldn't contend with them again the team never embraced a rebuild. Linden was rumored heavily to be asking around about how to do a proper rebuild, I think it was during the 2017 draft he was asking around. And soon after he left in 2018. So potentially one year after that statement about the Sedins he was already asking around about how to do a rebuild.

Soooo, sure wasting a couple years trying to squeeze some playoffs for the Sedins was bad but I still respect the effort. But the next 3-4 years of still trying to contend even after the Sedins retired and Linden left was the real head scratching part. Every fan knew we had no prospects from the Gillis era. Trying to squeeze playoffs for the Sedins set us back. But it set us back even more that even after they retired we kept making weird playoff push moves which isn't what Linden wanted.

All the more reason why I think we need to just hard sell right now. Miller, Boeser, and Garland for whatever we can get. If management wants to contend quickly, we need like 4 picks in the 1st two rounds of the next two drafts. At a minimum. As well as some more ready prospects like Raty and maybe some cast offs with upside like Kravtsov. But it's imperative we get more 1st rounders to make a quick retool. I'll never understand the desire to keep Miller when the market right now is so flush with assets. These clowns traded 5 picks and a prospect for a guy that brings toughness. What? Miller is worth gold and platinum at this point.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Ilunga said:

Their 3rd round pick from 2014 is their top line centre and is on track to score 96 points this year.  

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/tampa-bay-lightning/line-combinations 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/62204/brayden-point

Sure draft picks are lottery tickets however the more tickets you have, the more chance you have to pick a player that will eventually contribute to your team.

Each team only gets 7 picks each year.

This is a ridiculous trade. 

Trading that many picks and a 24 year old RHD-man who was a 12th/ first round pick, for a bottom six 6 player with 152 regular season games and 9 playoff games experience. 

You get one player like that in maybe 15 drafts.

Just cause one third round pick panned out like that doesn’t mean another will.

13 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I mean, I didn't mind it. Did it set us back a few years? Yes. But the real drop the ball moment was after it was clear we couldn't contend with them again the team never embraced a rebuild. Linden was rumored heavily to be asking around about how to do a proper rebuild, I think it was during the 2017 draft he was asking around. And soon after he left in 2018. So potentially one year after that statement about the Sedins he was already asking around about how to do a rebuild.

Soooo, sure wasting a couple years trying to squeeze some playoffs for the Sedins was bad but I still respect the effort. But the next 3-4 years of still trying to contend even after the Sedins retired and Linden left was the real head scratching part. Every fan knew we had no prospects from the Gillis era. Trying to squeeze playoffs for the Sedins set us back. But it set us back even more that even after they retired we kept making weird playoff push moves which isn't what Linden wanted.

All the more reason why I think we need to just hard sell right now. Miller, Boeser, and Garland for whatever we can get. If management wants to contend quickly, we need like 4 picks in the 1st two rounds of the next two drafts. At a minimum. As well as some more ready prospects like Raty and maybe some cast offs with upside like Kravtsov. But it's imperative we get more 1st rounders to make a quick retool. I'll never understand the desire to keep Miller when the market right now is so flush with assets. These clowns traded 5 picks and a prospect for a guy that brings toughness. What? Miller is worth gold and platinum at this point.

Agree on Miller, Boeser, and Garland, though it seems hard to move any player with term right now. I hope I'm wrong.

As for Linden and the rebuild - I don't know what went down, and maybe the owners didn't want to rebuild prior to the Sedins' retirement either. Maybe they all used the Sedin's as a justification for not doing what they didn't want to do anyway. But if we take Linden at his word - that he really did stall the rebuild out of loyalty to the twins - I would be pretty mad if I was the owner. Completely go into the dumps with the Sedins' on the roster while spending to the cap trying to make the playoffs (acquiring anchor Eriksson in the process), then after you mess that up, and get Pettersson and Hughes as a result, THEN you say you want to rebuild. I should mention that the Sedin's were making 7m, which was quite a bit back then, while far underproducing that cap hit in the final 3 years of their deal.

I obviously don't agree with firing Linden because he wanted to rebuild in 2018, but given how badly they messed up in the previous years for the sake of being loyal to the twins, only to want to tear it down after they retired, I understand why the owners would have lost patience and why Linden may have lost their trust.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

I think they aren’t worried too much about Sunday Drafting,.    I think this might be their last 2 seasons to bring it home again,. 
When ever they decide to pull the plug and rebuild ,   They have talent that will rapidly move for 1st round picks on future TDLines.

I don’t think they gave much up for Jeannot ,

who really still has to prove himself too.

Their isn’t much quality in the quantity of those unforeseen picks going to Nashville.. even the 1st round of 2025 is sure to be late.

I think TO takes out the lightning regardless of what they do.

• Like 1