The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Predators trade Tanner Jeannot to Lightning for Cal Foote, 2025 1st-round pick, 2024 2nd-round pick, 2023 3rd-round pick, 2023 4th-round pick, 2023 5th-round pick

Looks like a massive win for the Preds on paper - but you gotta respect the way that Tampa always seem to go all in on the player they want and make it work. 

Jeannot likely scores more on a Tampa team and his grit is a really good addition to the experience and guile the lightning already have which could see them overcome the faster and more overall skilled teams in that conference.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sp3nny said:

I haven’t read many of the previous replies, so if this is regurgitated info, I apologize in advance, but wanted to add my .2C worth.

While I agree this is a big overpayment from Tampa’s side, you have to consider the value of a cost controlled asset. Because of Tampa’s cap situation, and how seemingly every ‘role’ player that goes there begins to put up better numbers whether it’s Paul, Hagel, Colton, Palat, Coleman, Gourde etc. Half these guys price themselves out of the team who has their superstars locked up. I can already see a potential Nick Paul deal drawn up for Jeannot, who we all know is a very desirable player. If they can lock him up to a similar contract, it keeps the team together longer, and they have shown no signs of slowing down to this point, which is the biggest concern for them. They know they have a core capable of contending every year, so their biggest challenge is keeping that together.

Still makes you wonder why Vancouver couldn't get a similar return for Miller 

19 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I think the main factor would be if the Islanders make the playoffs. The playoffs have kind of proven anything can happen at that point. There could be an upset loss with the Devils while there could be a surprise run with the Islanders. It's certainly possible.

That being said, I'm still crossing fingers for NYI to barely miss the playoffs while staying above 12th last just because I'm like that. lol

Surprise run in the East? The wild card team faces either Boston or Carolina. I think an upset is highly unlikely.

They are too good to be passed by the bottom 12 teams while the top seeds in the East are too strong for an upset.

Whether the Islander make the playoffs or not, we are likely getting a 13-20th pick, most likely 15-18th pick.

9 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It made zero sense to stall the rebuild for those two. Zero. Sense. 

9 hours ago, dougieL said:

The franchise should come before the player except maybe on the very rarest of occasions and for the very rarest of players. As good as they were on and off the ice, the Sedin's are certainly NOT those players.

If those two won us a cup? Things would be different. Everything was lined up for them to be the Heroes in this town. Luongo was given that opportunity as well.

• Tanks a lot 1

2 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Jeannot was clearly highly coveted by TB. NSH had no reason to trade him hence the overpayment.

It's like you own a home that you are happy with and someone comes in and offers you the market price. You'd say no.

But if someone offers double the market price? 

That's what happened with Jeannot.

No one is targetting Miller like TB targetted Jeannot. That's why we can't get a similar return for Miller.

Targetting a specific player isn't very common. That's why this deal should be considered an exception rather than the norm; it won't affect the price of other assets.

7 minutes ago, jyu said:

Surprise run in the East? The wild card team faces either Boston or Carolina. I think an upset is highly unlikely.

They are too good to be passed by the bottom 12 teams while the top seeds in the East are too strong for an upset.

Whether the Islander make the playoffs or not, we are likely getting a 13-20th pick, most likely 15-18th pick.

I think all I have to do is point to 2019. Remember those playoffs? Every single divisional winner lost in round 1. Are upsets likely to happen, of course not, but the fact is: it's possible. You can say things like a team is "too good" all you want. We said the same thing about Tampa in 2019 when they were swept in the 1st round.

In fact, in most playoffs, typically at least 1 or 2 teams of the number 1 divisional teams are often knocked out of the 1st round. Of course there are exceptions to this, but you just have to look at the history of the playoffs to see this is the case.

Edited by The Lock

2 hours ago, KirkSave said:

When they have Vasi in the crease, they are dangerous. Could very well make another run to the SC. Amazing core, strong supporting cast. Their D just seems underwhelming this year. (weakest 3rd pair in the past 5 seasons)

They need Schenn.

The deal can be made if they give us 2025 2nd to 5th round picks.

• Cheers 1

Just now, The Lock said:

I think all I have to do is point to 2019. Remember those playoffs? Every single divisional winner lost in round 1. Are upsets likely to happen, of course not, but the fact is: it's possible. You can say things like a team is "too good" all you want. We said the same thing about Tampa in 2019 when they were swept in the 1st round.

In fact, in most playoffs, typically at least 1 or 2 teams of the number 1 divisional teams are often knocked out of the 1st round. Of course there are expections to this, but you just have to look at the history of the playoffs to see this is the case.

Yes, I'm aware that upsets do happen.

2019, Tampa even got swept. And no one saw that coming. But looking back, they had one weakness. Grit from bottom 6. At that point, Tampa was mostly a speed and skill team that got exploited by Torts style of game.

Upsets typically occur when a weaker team can exploit the weaknesses of stronger team.

Boston and Carolina... well it's possible. I'm not denying that it's possible.

Will be a shocker conisdering how well they execute.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, jyu said:

Yes, I'm aware that upsets do happen.

2019, Tampa even got swept. And no one saw that coming. But looking back, they had one weakness. Grit from bottom 6. At that point, Tampa was mostly a speed and skill team that got exploited by Torts style of game.

Upsets typically occur when a weaker team can exploit the weaknesses of stronger team.

Boston and Carolina... well it's possible. I'm not denying that it's possible.

Will be a shocker conisdering how well they execute.

And don't get me wrong: I'm not saying it's likely to happen. I'm more saying anything's possible when it comes to the playoffs. The odds are low for upsets, but that's why they are called upsets. lol

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

The Canucks should draft Jeannot type players in the later rounds.  Fast, physical, gritty and could score a bit. 

Shawn Antoski types for the 3rd/4th lines.  

Target players who play a hard physical game, Torres, with defensive awareness instead of beartschi types

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Because of how cap strapped the lightning will be. If they can get Jeannot at $4M, he is more valuable to them than Miller at $8M. They have their $8M+ signings all locked up, with Stammer coming up in 2 yrs. They just need good insulating players around that, and Jeannot is about as good as it gets.

This is all speculation based on Jeannot taking a cheaper deal. In general, we are seeing just how hard it is to get rid of money in the NHL right now. Anyone who contributes decently on a sub $4M contract right now is worth their weight in gold, especially to a contender.

26 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

If those two won us a cup? Things would be different. Everything was lined up for them to be the Heroes in this town. Luongo was given that opportunity as well.

And Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows, Hamhuis, Salo.

For sure, if the team had won the Cup instead of completely falling apart in one of the most lopsided and pathetic game 7s ever, things would be different. 

29 minutes ago, jyu said:

Jeannot was clearly highly coveted by TB. NSH had no reason to trade him hence the overpayment.

It's like you own a home that you are happy with and someone comes in and offers you the market price. You'd say no.

But if someone offers double the market price? 

That's what happened with Jeannot.

No one is targetting Miller like TB targetted Jeannot. That's why we can't get a similar return for Miller.

Targetting a specific player isn't very common. That's why this deal should be considered an exception rather than the norm; it won't affect the price of other assets.

Who knows what has been offered for Miller. Maybe offers are still being put out there we will never know until something happens.

• Cheers 1

As far as this trade goes, I don't blame Tampa for doing this at all by the way. If there was any situation for a team to overpay for a player, right now would be that situation for Tampa. They're completely in the now and it's perfectly understandable, especially given similar trades have worked out for them in the form of cups the past few years.

In fact, let's be real: who ISN'T envious of Tampa's situation?

Edited by The Lock

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows, Hamhuis, Salo.

For sure, if the team had won the Cup instead of completely falling apart in one of the most lopsided and pathetic game 7s ever, things would be different. 

Maybe we needed more "Jeannot" type players too? ::D  I think kesler tried(going "Beast Mode") but he didn't have the pack mentality to back him up.

Just now, EdgarM said:

Maybe we needed more "Jeannot" type players too? ::D  I think kesler tried(going "Beast Mode") but he didn't have the pack mentality to back him up.

I think the pack mentality is what was missing. The Bruins had it and had much superior size as well, and used it to wear the Canucks down, along with having the Jacobs/Campbell connection.