The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Predators trade Tanner Jeannot to Lightning for Cal Foote, 2025 1st-round pick, 2024 2nd-round pick, 2023 3rd-round pick, 2023 4th-round pick, 2023 5th-round pick

10 hours ago, Nave said:

Which makes the '25 1st even more troubling. Lightning aren't even top 4 in the East this year. What makes them think they'll do better in '24-25?

Nobody would be shocked to see them win another cup.    Second seasons matter a lot more then the first one.   It's also why our Linden teams were better than the Sedin ones.    Playoff wins matter a heck of a lot more than presidents trophies.   LA lol... won two and were barely mediocre in the regular season. 

• Like 1

I haven’t read many of the previous replies, so if this is regurgitated info, I apologize in advance, but wanted to add my .2C worth.

While I agree this is a big overpayment from Tampa’s side, you have to consider the value of a cost controlled asset. Because of Tampa’s cap situation, and how seemingly every ‘role’ player that goes there begins to put up better numbers whether it’s Paul, Hagel, Colton, Palat, Coleman, Gourde etc. Half these guys price themselves out of the team who has their superstars locked up. I can already see a potential Nick Paul deal drawn up for Jeannot, who we all know is a very desirable player. If they can lock him up to a similar contract, it keeps the team together longer, and they have shown no signs of slowing down to this point, which is the biggest concern for them. They know they have a core capable of contending every year, so their biggest challenge is keeping that together.

So while the acquisition value seems highly skewed, you get an absolute beast of a player physically, who has also shown to be capable offensively last year, but having is having a bit of a “sophomore slump” this year. Without the proven track record, he can’t command a massive contract, and that is exactly what TBL needs.

I haven’t read anything to indicate any type of contract talks yet, but I feel strongly that he will be signed to a long term, lower money deal similar to Paul, . And if he can turn himself into a consistent 25+ goal scorer while bringing close to the best physicality in the league, that is extremely desirable. Think of the value Tom Wilson brings to the Caps. Next to RHD, you are looking at the most sought after player in hockey, which is where the overpayment comes from. I get the sense from Jeannot, who has essentially come out of nowhere, that he will take a long term guarantee rather than bank on himself to get top $. Perhaps that’s not the case at all, and that would be the worst possible outcome for TBL, but that’s the other perfect scenario for TBL, is getting a more ‘veteran’ ELC player who is also an RFA. They control the power, and they can’t lose him for nothing if he does chase the money, which is the same as Colton and Hagel.

TLDR; it’s an overpayment, but almost perfect player for TBL to add.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Got to wonder what haul we would have gotten for Bo if we waited. These trades are insane. That's an entire round of draft picks for a middle 6 winger. 

The Meier deal was huge and lots of moving parts but this one shows you that if you push teams, you get more value back. 

Bo was traded as a coming UFA and it’s clear he would only extend with the club that got him for a gross overpay.  

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

Yip. But have to tip your hat to Nashville for taking an undrafted role player and turning it into that haul. Epic really. 

Got to have ownership who accepts their team needs to sell assets and rebuild. Gillis told our owner that in 2012/2013. He wanted to do what’s best for the club’s future. Our owner fired him for it. Just like he fired Nonis for wanting to do what’s best for the club’s future 6 years prior. Then we had 8 years of trying the owner’s way of selling futures in hopes to win now with Benning. I’m hopeful our owner has learned his lesson and is allowing this management team to build the right way. We got a good futures return for Bo. It’s a step in the right direction. 

23 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Got to wonder what haul we would have gotten for Bo if we waited. These trades are insane. That's an entire round of draft picks for a middle 6 winger. 

The Meier deal was huge and lots of moving parts but this one shows you that if you push teams, you get more value back. 

You're not allowed to talk about that!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Let’s not confuse quantity for quality. Ultimately we got high quality assets for Bo. A 4th round pick and a fifth round pick are essentially useless. Timo Meier albeit overrated imo is still a superior younger player than Bo.

Also the fact that no one is mentioning that the Sharks shipped out 4 additional players and a fifth of their own to the Devils show what all of those picks have a high chance of turning into.

So ultimately that trade was Shakir M (who’s a decent prospect), probably a bit higher value than Raty, a 1st this year which should be 10-15 spots lower than our NYI pick (whenever it comes), another late first next year (which again has a high chance of fizzling out or turning into a Beauvillier/Boeser level player) and a second (which is a crap shoot). 

So yeah the prospect is decent but the picks aren’t going to but the highest. It’s not as amazing as it looks. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Not only what if we waited on Bo but how in the world could we not get more for JT Miller retained last year for 2 cup runs than the rumoured Lundkvist, Chytil and a 1rst lol. I like both the Jeannot and Meier deals over that rumoured NYR deal where they would have had Miller for 2 years at a great cap hit with possible retention even. I know Miller has had his struggles this year but last year he was incredible! 2021/22 JT Miller a does everything center who was pacing 90+ points all year should be valued a bit higher than Meier and all we got was that NYR garbage lol.

12 minutes ago, .Naslund said:

Let’s not confuse quantity for quality. Ultimately we got high quality assets for Bo. A 4th round pick and a fifth round pick are essentially useless. Timo Meier albeit overrated imo is still a superior younger player than Bo.

Also the fact that no one is mentioning that the Sharks shipped out 4 additional players and a fifth of their own to the Devils show what all of those picks have a high chance of turning into.

So ultimately that trade was Shakir M (who’s a decent prospect), probably a bit higher value than Raty, a 1st this year which should be 10-15 spots lower than our NYI pick (whenever it comes), another late first next year (which again has a high chance of fizzling out or turning into a Beauvillier/Boeser level player) and a second (which is a crap shoot). 

So yeah the prospect is decent but the picks aren’t going to but the highest. It’s not as amazing as it looks. 

We don't know where the isles or devil's picks are going to.end up yet either.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Also a very real wildcard in our return. If they miss the playoffs this year and we get the pick the trade is good. If they miss the playoffs and the pick moves to next year I like the chances that the pick would be the same or even better next year as they are an older team then the trade is great. If they make the playoffs this year and go on a run then the trade sucks and I’ll complain forever that we should have waited lol.

Edited by flickyoursedin
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Also a very real wildcard in our return. If they miss the playoffs this year and we get the pick the trade is good. If they miss the playoffs and the pick moves to next year I like the chances that the pick would be the same or even better next year as they are an older team then the trade is great. If they make the playoffs this year and go on a run then the trade sucks and I’ll complain forever that we should have waited lol.

With horvat they are a solid team, one only a couple years removed from the conference finals.  They have a solid fwd group, a great dcorp and a very good goalie.  I think this year's pick will be better

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think the main factor would be if the Islanders make the playoffs. The playoffs have kind of proven anything can happen at that point. There could be an upset loss with the Devils while there could be a surprise run with the Islanders. It's certainly possible.

That being said, I'm still crossing fingers for NYI to barely miss the playoffs while staying above 12th last just because I'm like that. lol

11 hours ago, dougieL said:

They were over a barrel with Horvat - they had no choice. Look what they did with Miller.

It would be a different story if we were serious contenders for the next two years. But we're not. If Kuzmenko plays poorly, he loses value relative to what he is now. If he plays well, he'll just be more expensive on the next deal, during which we will presumably be trying to contend. Either way, the slew of draft picks on the whole will probably be more valuable to us (in terms of price relative to performance) than Kuzmenko.

10 hours ago, EdgarM said:

So when are we supposed to start building a team? Should we get rid of everyone then and start over? Your statement is very confusing.

10 hours ago, dougieL said:

We need to start rebuilding now (should have started a while ago). Deals need to be made to open up a contending window that likely starts in the 2025-26 season.

I thought we did already start, we have the top C, Top D and Top Goalie no? Kuzmenko is in the same age range as Petey(26-27) so not sure what you think the plan is.