The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Dallas Stars | Feb. 27, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I think you misunderstand my ‘team tank’. 

I don’t ‘cheer’ for the team to lose. 

You've seen me, or should have seen me cheer on all the players when they reach milestones or make a great play to a goal. 

I love the symbol on their chest more than the name on the back of the sweater. 

That’s why I want the best draft pick(s) in the upcoming draft. Those picks are worth more than wins now. 

Both your loyalty and mine is to the crest and its history. 

We’re in the same boat. We just have different paddles. We want the same thing, but, I want the goal to be done by having the best draft pick(s) possible. 

That’s where I’m coming from. When you cheer on the team to win and get the worst pick, then I have to question what you really want for ‘our’ team. 

Do you want short term wins or a long term ‘win’? 

My only concern: Demko and the rise to the middle might derail, the chance to draft a franchise a player, that will do more to win a cup, than the loser points they got tonight because of Demkos' solid goaltending.  Green benefitted a lot from Demko but his outstanding play only lifted the dysfunctional roster to the mediocre middle.  Anyways, I agree with both of you that this is the one year to tank.   

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I never said you were any less of a fan than me or anyone else.  I also never questioned your loyalty to the team, you are the one that brought that up.  I only questioned why someone would watch a Canucks game for 3 hours if they wanted the team to lose.  I said that you could probably find something better to do and just check the box score.  So, let's get all of that straightened out up front here before someone else wants to accuse me of questioning their loyalty to the team.

I get why people want the team to lose and to tank.  It's so we can have a shot at Bedard or one of the other top players.  I would love to draft Bedard.  I am not stupid to think that he wouldn't turn this franchise around.  Or Fantilli or Carlsson.  I get all that.  I don't want us to be a middle-placed team either.  I want us to win the Stanley Cup.  We are on the same page here.

My only point is I could never ever watch an entire Canucks game and want them to lose.  If they lose, then so be it.  But I certainly wouldn't be posting on CDC during the game and being upset that Kuzmenko scored the winning goal or that Tocchet is an idiot for playing Quinn too many minutes, etc, etc.  That's just not my thing.  But hey, if it's someone else's thing, good for them.  It doesn't mean they are not loyal to the team.  It's just weird for me to envision myself watching a game and wanting the team to lose.  If I wanted them to lose, I honestly wouldn't bother to watch the game.  That was my original point really...

Personally, I like the Canucks style of game and I like seeing the young kids like Podz and Raty connecting was really cool.  But I still pulling for them to lose.   And it’s not about Bedard, it’s about being given an opportunity to get a franchise player in the top 5 or 6.   The talent level drops off substantially after the top tier of players.  This draft year presents a unique opportunity to get a special player and the Canucks need all the talent they can get.  

• Tanks a lot 1

11 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

You've seen me, or should have seen me cheer on all the players when they reach milestones or make a great play to a goal. 

That’s why I want the best draft pick(s) in the upcoming draft. Those picks are worth more than wins now. 

We’re in the same boat. We just have different paddles. We want the same thing, but, I want the goal to be done by having the best draft pick(s) possible. 

That’s where I’m coming from. When you cheer on the team to win and get the worst pick, then I have to question what you really want for ‘our’ team. 

That's basically what my fandom boils down to nowadays. The players will all come and go eventually anyway, rare is the player who sticks with one franchise forever. At the end of the day I view them more as assets instead of people I have personal attachments to, I don't have the parasocial relationships with the roster some fans do. 

It's best if we lose, we differ in that I am actually rooting for them to lose. Season is lost, wins do nothing for me at this point. I'd rather bottom out than be middling. Should have just ridden it out with Boudreau. If some folks think less of me for it, well.. I don't really give a shit. They can fan their own way. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's basically what my fandom boils down to nowadays. The players will all come and go eventually anyway, rare is the player who sticks with one franchise forever. At the end of the day I view them more as assets instead of people I have personal attachments to, I don't have the parasocial relationships with the roster some fans do. 

It's best if we lose, we differ in that I am actually rooting for them to lose. Season is lost, wins do nothing for me at this point. I'd rather bottom out than be middling. Should have just ridden it out with Boudreau. If some folks think less of me for it, well.. I don't really give a shit. They can fan their own way. 

You said parasocial. Did you mean parasitical? 

Because that I could understand. 

I mean I kinda have a parasitical relationship with Bieksa but that’s about it. I met him and we both talked for an hour or so while waiting for our luggage at Pearson, back in the day. 

But, I get what what you’re saying, I think. Or, better put, we agree on the state of the team. 

No point in the nonsense of wins. The team needs the draft position. 

I can’t wait to archive this chat and then bring it up on Draft day when most CDC members wonder why ‘our’ team doesn’t have more picks. 

IT’S SUCH A DEEP DRAFT. WHY DIDN’T WE HAVE MORE PICKS??!?!?!! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

In order for the team to get the best pick, they need to lose the games.  If you are watching the game and seeing how hard the players are playing, then what are you actually doing during that time?  Are you hoping they play well enough to win, but the other team just happens to score one more goal?  I honestly am just asking the question and again, not questioning anyone's loyalty to the team.

When you say I am cheering for the team to win and get the worst pick, that is not true.  I am cheering for the team to win because that is what the players want.  They want to win.  So, I am on the side of the players for the game that they are entertaining me with.  If the team wants to truly tank, then they need to make the moves that will allow them to lose the games, meaning they need to sit out or trade the star players.  Some people are saying that Demko shouldn't be playing right now.  So, if he is healthy enough to play how do you not play him?  Do you trade him for picks to have a better chance at Bedard?  I'm just curious as to how they are supposed to be handling Demko right now.

What do I really want for this team?  I want it to win the Stanley Cup.  If the team wants a great shot at Bedard, then they need to do more than just hope the team plays well enough to lose by one goal.  Reason why is the players are gonna bust their arse to win the game.  Which is exactly what happened tonight.  If they don't play Demko then they probably lose.  So, they need to figure out how to handle the Demko situation moving forward.  And they have to have a discussion with Tocchet and tell him not to play Hughes 30 minutes a night and put Kuzy on in the last minute of the game.  These are the things that are preventing us from losing and tanking.

My question to you is this?  What are the Canucks supposed to do right now in order to ensure they lose the game?  Because they need to lose the game in order to have a better draft position.  What do you propose they do right now in order to ensure those losses?

14 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Personally, I like the Canucks style of game and I like seeing the young kids like Podz and Raty connecting was really cool.  But I still pulling for them to lose.   And it’s not about Bedard, it’s about being given an opportunity to get a franchise player in the top 5 or 6.   The talent level drops off substantially after the top tier of players.  This draft year presents a unique opportunity to get a special player and the Canucks need all the talent they can get.  

Sure, I get that.  So, what do you propose that they do to ensure that they lose the games?  Because the players don't play to lose, so you can't tell them to do that.  It needs to be forced on the team.  How do you do that with this current team?

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

You said parasocial. Did you mean parasitical? 

Because that I could understand. 

I mean I kinda have a parasitical relationship with Bieksa but that’s about it. I met him and we both talked for an hour or so while waiting for our luggage at Pearson, back in the day. 

But, I get what what you’re saying, I think. Or, better put, we agree on the state of the team. 

No point in the nonsense of wins. The team needs the draft position. 

I can’t wait to archive this chat and then bring it up on Draft day when most CDC members wonder why ‘our’ team doesn’t have more picks. 

IT’S SUCH A DEEP DRAFT. WHY DIDN’T WE HAVE MORE PICKS??!?!?!! 

Nah, parasocial. Parasocial relationships are one-sided relationships, where one person extends emotional energy, interest and time, and the other party, the persona, is completely unaware of the other’s existence. I've seen a lot of it around here over the years, I see a lot of it nowadays. I haven't really gotten invested in the players as individuals since the Sedin led team featuring Burrows, Kesler, and Bieksa. Horvat was the last player I was really kinda attached to. 

I'm hoping we sell, I'm hoping we start losing more. We'll see injuries, it's inevitable, maybe that'll help us out too. 

Edited by Coconuts

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sure, I get that.  So, what do you propose that they do to ensure that they lose the games?  Because the players don't play to lose, so you can't tell them to do that.  It needs to be forced on the team.  How do you do that with this current team?

There’s nothing they can do to ensure loses, management his really trying.  I know we say Tocchet is the Russian Anti-Tank Missle but the real anti tankers are Petey and Kuz.  And it’s awesome when they score I cheer that too.  It’s complicated bro.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

In order for the team to get the best pick, they need to lose the games.  If you are watching the game and seeing how hard the players are playing, then what are you actually doing during that time?  Are you hoping they play well enough to win, but the other team just happens to score one more goal?  I honestly am just asking the question and again, not questioning anyone's loyalty to the team.

When you say I am cheering for the team to win and get the worst pick, that is not true.  I am cheering for the team to win because that is what the players want.  They want to win.  So, I am on the side of the players for the game that they are entertaining me with.  If the team wants to truly tank, then they need to make the moves that will allow them to lose the games, meaning they need to sit out or trade the star players.  Some people are saying that Demko shouldn't be playing right now.  So, if he is healthy enough to play how do you not play him?  Do you trade him for picks to have a better chance at Bedard?  I'm just curious as to how they are supposed to be handling Demko right now.

What do I really want for this team?  I want it to win the Stanley Cup.  If the team wants a great shot at Bedard, then they need to do more than just hope the team plays well enough to lose by one goal.  Reason why is the players are gonna bust their arse to win the game.  Which is exactly what happened tonight.  If they don't play Demko then they probably lose.  So, they need to figure out how to handle the Demko situation moving forward.  And they have to have a discussion with Tocchet and tell him not to play Hughes 30 minutes a night and put Kuzy on in the last minute of the game.  These are the things that are preventing us from losing and tanking.

My question to you is this?  What are the Canucks supposed to do right now in order to ensure they lose the game?  Because they need to lose the game in order to have a better draft position.  What do you propose they do right now in order to ensure those losses?

EP, I love your honesty and your post. You’re a solid dude. 

I don’t think you understand the ‘joke’ about ‘team tank’. 

Even the ‘tankers’ want the team to do well, just not this year. 

I am one of the biggest ‘tankers’ here, obviously. But, my loyalty is always to ‘the team’. 

So, if you ask me what I want, then it’s keeping the core, shedding cap, acquiring picks and prospects and rebuilding…not retooling. 

Every time the Nucks win a game, all of what I just said gets harder. 

That’s the simple version of what I mean bud. The longer and more specific part is long and specific and needs me to be more specifically sober. 

I was gonna end that last sentence with “comprende?’ But English google is racist and doesn’t comprende what comprende should be. Comprende? 

• Huggy Bear 2

Just now, Pure961089 said:

There’s nothing they can do to ensure loses, management his really trying.  I know we say Tocchet is the Russian Anti-Tank Missle but the real anti tankers are Petey and Kuz.  And it’s awesome when they score I cheer that too.  It’s complicated bro.

Yup, totally agree.  People are wanting us to lose the games, but I am not sure what exactly the team is supposed to do to ensure those losses.  Unless you take Petey, Kuzy, Huggy, Miller and Demko out of the lineup, we will probably be in most of the games and win more than we want to...

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

EP, I love your honesty and your post. You’re a solid dude. 

I don’t think you understand the ‘joke’ about ‘team tank’. 

Even the ‘tankers’ want the team to do well, just not this year. 

I am one of the biggest ‘tankers’ here, obviously. But, my loyalty is always to ‘the team’. 

So, if you ask me what I want, then it’s keeping the core, shedding cap, acquiring picks and prospects and rebuilding…not retooling. 

Every time the Nucks win a game, all of what I just said gets harder. 

That’s the simple version of what I mean bud. The longer and more specific part is long and specific and needs me to be more specifically sober. 

I was gonna end that last sentence with “comprende?’ But English google is racist and doesn’t comprende what comprende should be. Comprende? 

Haha, no worries man.  We will get back to this at a later date.  Maybe after the next game if you are not drinking...   :)

• Huggy Bear 1