The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Dallas Stars | Feb. 27, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Can't blame the players for winning.  I can't hope for key players to have little injuries to take them out of the line-up.  I think all we can do is hope the other teams just outplay them as sad as that sounds (for this season anyway).

I understand the schedule may not be in team tank's favour either.  

If not for the luck of a lottery, we may have to start looking at those top D players in the draft for our first pick.  That wouldn't be a terrible consolation prize.

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Exactly. 

Some people don’t get it. 

Canucks are incapable of pulling off Leafs Oilers level tanking. 

They kept too many guys around who are fighting for jobs next year. 

I want a tank as much as the next guy, but hiring a new coach, and keeping too mich talent around ain’t going to get it done.

They shouldn’t have won tonight but Thatchy D comes in and outplays Oetinger, who for some reason decides to play average.

Totally did not see this win coming.

on the bright side, maybe Dallas is looking for some scoring and we can pull off a trade with them.

8 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I can understand being annoyed with a win at this point in the season (I'm on team tank myself). What I don't understand is getting mad and blaming the team. That's when I start getting annoyed with the fanbase. 

I don't think we are upset that the team is winning per-se rather they are doing it when the wins don't matter. If the Canucks were perhaps outside looking in at this point of the season then we would be happy with the wins, but now the games don't matter and there's nothing to play for aside for individual stat padding. 

So yeah, the team is playing better and winning now. But where was this effort earlier the season? 

Also I think we are at a point of "fool me once" complex. Since we've seen this playout so many times. Only playing and winning when it doesn't matter and it's actually more beneficial to drop in the standings. 

13 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

if I’m sober, you’re gonna get wrecked. 

Valuable insights can be found  thanks to the Scotch. I composed my best post ever only to find it that I wasn’t logged in. Couldn’t even tell how many bicycles or traffic lights were in the picture. I logged in and my post was gone.

What a waste. 

The nub of the biscuit was that certain guys like Ty Myers contribute heavily to the tank, only to be undermined by more diligent teammates who give a fck about their future. It frustrates the tank to no end. How many guys do we need to dump at the TDL or put on IR to make the tank feasible?

Surprised by the result tonight, considering Dallas is supposedly one of the contenders for the West.  Looking at their last 10 games though, really struggled against Columbus Chicago and us..  Next game for the Canucks will be interesting though as taking on a much hotter Wild team - will be better gauge of where we stand.  

I do think with all the prospects in the lineup trying to impress, they are working much much harder than in November. If the Wild are not fully prepared, they may also lose as well.

It really too bad the Canucks did not make these changes earlier so they could make a run - now they are in no mans land. With the continued efforts, will not be surprised they finish 12-13th which really is the worst case scenario - out of the playoffs and out of the sweepstakes. 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

That's basically what my fandom boils down to nowadays. The players will all come and go eventually anyway, rare is the player who sticks with one franchise forever. At the end of the day I view them more as assets instead of people I have personal attachments to, I don't have the parasocial relationships with the roster some fans do. 

It's best if we lose, we differ in that I am actually rooting for them to lose. Season is lost, wins do nothing for me at this point. I'd rather bottom out than be middling. Should have just ridden it out with Boudreau. If some folks think less of me for it, well.. I don't really give a shit. They can fan their own way. 

I mean we’ve traded our captain and have an AHL defence with one super star dman I highly doubt we are gonna win out the remainder of the season.

like I hope to god we don’t. Lmao

I’d like for them to lose too 

but if and when we win I’m happy it’s our stars. Or young developing kids making the difference and demko needs some healing games to end the year for his mental side and confidence to take into the summer for next year.

we were never gonna finish bottom 3 no matter what. 4-8 is really our range and the odds of the lottery are kinda negligible 

im being optimistic and taking all the positives out of the situation 

1. demko can rebuild some confidence

2. we have a super star C 

3. kuzmenko is getting better and better

4. coaching system is showing improvements that we can project into next season

5. garland is rebuilding his value in league

6. AB is balling out and fits in great 

7. we are finally giving Wolanin and Briz and burr a look. It’s a tough situation considering all of them at once but I’m happy for them

8. PA is winning trades or at least I can get behind his trade logic 

9. JT miller has been better on all fronts

10. TDL is coming up and we could still make another move or two

stay optimistic regardless of wins.

we really don’t know how the lotto balls will fall. Dallas and NJD are recent examples of this.

we are going to do great in this draft regardless I can feel it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

I think you misunderstand my ‘team tank’. 

I don’t ‘cheer’ for the team to lose. 

You've seen me, or should have seen me cheer on all the players when they reach milestones or make a great play to a goal. 

I love the symbol on their chest more than the name on the back of the sweater. 

That’s why I want the best draft pick(s) in the upcoming draft. Those picks are worth more than wins now. 

Both your loyalty and mine is to the crest and its history. 

We’re in the same boat. We just have different paddles. We want the same thing, but, I want the goal to be done by having the best draft pick(s) possible. 

That’s where I’m coming from. When you cheer on the team to win and get the worst pick, then I have to question what you really want for ‘our’ team. 

Do you want short term wins or a long term ‘win’? 

I have literally put weeks into scouting this draft, I even asked one of my friends to use his credit card to pay for me to join some paid online scouting services, I never use mine online.

I have watched hours upon hours of video on the top 50 or so players and some others.

Connor Bedard does seem like a sure thing. 

Carlsson and Fantilli have a really high percentage chance of being game changers. 

On pure talent alone Michkov is almost at Connors level however the uncertainty with the Russian situation throws his place in the draft into question. 

Then you have a bunch of players like Benson, Dvorsky, Sale, Smith, Leonard, Perrault, check out his production in the last few months, Moore, Barlow, Yager who all have potential to be really good NHL players. 

Cristall is the classic Boom or Bust type top tenish pick. 

This analysis is not just on points alone, also their style of play, how hard they work both on and off the puck. 

Also a couple of the sites I have joined are really good for analysing/ judging how a prospects game will translate to success in the NHL. 

These are the draft lottery odds. 

We currently sit with a 7.5 percent chance of winning if we drop 3 places that falls to five.

https://www.tankathon.com/nhl/pick_odds

Of course I would like one of the top 3 however after that once you dig deeply into each players game it gets harder to tell how pro translatable that next bunch of players will be. 

One really respected site has Dvorsky at 3. 

He isn't as flashy as some of the others but he keeps on stepping up his game at each level he has played through his career and scores when it matters. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

54 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Valuable insights can be found  thanks to the Scotch. I composed my best post ever only to find it that I wasn’t logged in. Couldn’t even tell how many bicycles or traffic lights were in the picture. I logged in and my post was gone.

What a waste. 

The nub of the biscuit was that certain guys like Ty Myers contribute heavily to the tank, only to be undermined by more diligent teammates who give a fck about their future. It frustrates the tank to no end. How many guys do we need to dump at the TDL or put on IR to make the tank feasible?

I love Scotch. 

In my leather arm chair. 

Nub of a biscuit?

Nub of a biscuit????

What the f**k does this mean??

I feel like 

image.gif.40858a69153fba595bc51363e0e8278b.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Surprised by the result tonight, considering Dallas is supposedly one of the contenders for the West.  Looking at their last 10 games though, really struggled against Columbus Chicago and us..  Next game for the Canucks will be interesting though as taking on a much hotter Wild team - will be better gauge of where we stand.  

I do think with all the prospects in the lineup trying to impress, they are working much much harder than in November. If the Wild are not fully prepared, they may also lose as well.

It really too bad the Canucks did not make these changes earlier so they could make a run - now they are in no mans land. With the continued efforts, will not be surprised they finish 12-13th which really is the worst case scenario - out of the playoffs and out of the sweepstakes. 

Have you looked at the standings?  We are like 11 points behind the 12th place team.  We are only 9 points ahead of the last place team.  Ottawa is the 10th place team and they are looking at adding at the deadline.  So, I highly doubt we finish higher than 9th.  Most likely, we will land anywhere between 4-8.  There was no way we were ever going to finish in the top 3.  Remember, we started the year hoping for a playoff spot, so we were never in the tank bowl until around 2 months ago.  By that time, we had collected too many points.  If we had started the year like the other tanking teams, we'd probably be in the mix.  But realistically, with the players we have there is no way we are bad enough to finish in the bottom 3 in the league.

• Vintage 1

I remember Bruce saying Petey was a big game player.  When the game is on the line Petey is a difference maker.  But I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player like Kuzy.  When the game is on the line he wills the team to a win or at least overtime.  And with literally seconds left in the game numerous times lately.   It’s really #96 that’s the Anti-Tank Russian Kuz Missle 

• There it is 1

30 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Have you looked at the standings?  We are like 11 points behind the 12th place team.  We are only 9 points ahead of the last place team.  Ottawa is the 10th place team and they are looking at adding at the deadline.  So, I highly doubt we finish higher than 9th.  Most likely, we will land anywhere between 4-8.  There was no way we were ever going to finish in the top 3.  Remember, we started the year hoping for a playoff spot, so we were never in the tank bowl until around 2 months ago.  By that time, we had collected too many points.  If we had started the year like the other tanking teams, we'd probably be in the mix.  But realistically, with the players we have there is no way we are bad enough to finish in the bottom 3 in the league.

True, we are definitely better than our record shows.  This team desperately needed structure and Petey and Kuz, Miller and Hughes are all starting to flourishing under Rick, especially JT.  We are where we are because of bad defence, OEL and Myers in particular and bad structure.   With structure you can make a goalie like Silovs look good.  2 of his 4 games he’s posted really good numbers .941 and .946 save %.  The Canucks are developing players the right way if feels like.  If this weren’t such a deep draft I’d feel more sad but with 2 picks in the top 15 we can get some good players.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

This year could be the deepest year for draft picks in the top 5...        EVER...

And we are scratching for points even though there is ZERO chance we'll make the post season.

Where is the logic???

We are risking our #1 Stud Goalies injury free return for next season for meaningless points.

1979-1983 ish will be tough to beat, loaded with future HHOFers.   Not so sure about this draft managing to keep up with all the hype ... these kids missed significant development time as a group.    The echo chamber outside of the true experts, and one upping the hype has definitely created a frenzy of sorts.   A lot of parroting ... not to be the devils advocate but before the world juniors which is also weighted too heavily, the message was "it's an above average draft because of the quality of the talent at the top (Beddard etc)"..." "past that it's more crap shooting then normal, covid etc" paraphrased - from ISS / THN.  

Read on here too many times "this years seconds are like firsts"   "this years late firsts are top 15 picks".      For our case, it won't matter much unless "this years 8-12th overalls are like normal years top 5 picks" etc etc.     If there ever was a year to tank, this would be a great one for sure.   Usually by this time the following draft (2024) is getting hyped ... Haven't heard about a Jack Hughes (who was hyped a ton, going back to age 13-14),  McDavid, Beddard etc.    Most likely the Canucks need two great drafts to sort ourselves out.   

Trading Kuzmenko and Beau would be a tank commander move - but who's left that would even consider going there?   Florida?  Doubt it they blew their wad last season didn't work out.    CAR maybe sure.    Personally wouldn't do it unless they matched the insanity TB did with NSH, adding the value that it is a guy who looks like a 40 plus goal scorer ... on a sweet two year deal.    

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I have literally put weeks into scouting this draft, I even asked one of my friends to use his credit card to pay for me to join some paid online scouting services, I never use mine online.

I have watched hours upon hours of video on the top 50 or so players and some others.

Connor Bedard does seem like a sure thing. 

Carlsson and Fantilli have a really high percentage chance of being game changers. 

On pure talent alone Michkov is almost at Connors level however the uncertainty with the Russian situation throws his place in the draft into question. 

Then you have a bunch of players like Benson, Dvorsky, Sale, Smith, Leonard, Perrault, check out his production in the last few months, Moore, Barlow, Yager who all have potential to be really good NHL players. 

Cristall is the classic Boom or Bust type top tenish pick. 

This analysis is not just on points alone, also their style of play, how hard they work both on and off the puck. 

Also a couple of the sites I have joined are really good for analysing/ judging how a prospects game will translate to success in the NHL. 

These are the draft lottery odds. 

We currently sit with a 7.5 percent chance of winning if we drop 3 places that falls to five.

https://www.tankathon.com/nhl/pick_odds

Of course I would like one of the top 3 however after that once you dig deeply into each players game it gets harder to tell how pro translatable that next bunch of players will be. 

One really respected site has Dvorsky at 3. 

He isn't as flashy as some of the others but he keeps on stepping up his game at each level he has played through his career and scores when it matters. 

Lol.   Sounds like me closer to the draft ... used to do it every year, but for selfish reasons, to find gems for future hockey pools.    But for sure it's a crapshoot over time.   Every draft has had its surprises, and its whiffs.    Nolan Patrick.  Yakupov.    OJ.   Lots of Torres types that play a lot of games but aren't really what you're hoping for with a higher pick, Gudbranson is a good current example of that.    And a lot of Phillips/Jovo's too, a level up, definitely solid picks.     This team needs an EK, or Pastrnak, Smyl, or Edler or two as well.   As in mid first round, later first round, and some god darn 3rd rounders to make the team and have a huge return based on draft position.   Look at what having just two does for a teams fortunes in EP and QHs.    

Glad Tochett is putting in a system.   And I think everyone knows we can't win with this D without everyone pitching in. And that our goaltending is a fairly easy patch - it's a huge part of why we aren't in the playoff hunt now instead.    Baby steps, bites of the elephant are fine as long as our scouting staff doesn't blow it. 

Edit:  And for the record, been doing this for two decades now.   And IF a i was drafting instead we'd of had very different teams.   Someone once posted Buttons picks .... and demonstrated how if JB just went with his picks, we'd have a better team lol.   Totally different one anyways, it's the second and third round that stalled us the most.   We haven't had an impact second since Demko, and 3rd since Nonis's first draft (a top 3 all-time Canuck draft) ..  MG era wasn't good to us even with where he drafted.    JB was ok. Thanks to EP and QHs, helped make it  a little above average.    Too bad he traded McAan and Forsling.    

The draft is a crapshoot.  Our team is due for a later round pick to come in and make an impact.    Colliton at least has Abby aligned well.    That for sure will help with things the same way the Moose helped with Burke and Nonis. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

8 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Culture building only to return from the summer break and forget everything next season:emot-parrot:

Let's hope Tochetts season ending interviews stick.   Didn't stick with Green that's for sure.   And didn't stick with Bruce either even though the players loved the guy they didn't all come prepared.    

• Cheers 3