The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Dallas Stars | Feb. 27, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

We watch it for the same reasons you do mostly. I am very interested in watching the team and how Tocchet is bringing them along. Do you actually think I am cheering each misstep or missed shot? I’ve been a Canuck fan from the beginning. Over 53 years you see a lot of ebb and flows. When the Canucks dropped out of playoff contention I wanted them to tank for the best draft option possible. Almost without fail any team that wins the Cup draft their leaders with #1 picks or close to it. Canucks have never done that in 53 years so why not give it a try. 

I think Allvin was exactly on top of it when he said I don’t see any Cup banners hanging from the ceiling. No there isn’t. A couple of Conference banners and that seems to be enough for many. All the rationalizations can be trotted out why losing is no good. My take is that the team plays the season out. They have the firepower to win their share of games. Tocchet has them going in the right direction. I will still hope that they end up within striking distance of a top 3 pick. 

Another old school guy that gets it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

I am sorry to everyone... I do admit I miss Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli (with Pearson, who we never got to see on same line in VAN) and not much else. 

With the organisation so high on Demko, Markstrom didn’t have a chance as a long term #1. Tanev and Edler (remember him?) both had reached the end of their contracts and the front office made the right decision to move on. Granted, it would’ve lessened the blow had they had a viable successor for each. Maybe they thought they did. But, if we’re being honest, this team hasn’t found the next Salo nor Bieksa, either. Its problems on the blue line go further than merely letting Edler and Tanev walk. They’re not developing anything in the minors at that position other than Hughes. He’s a good offensive Defenceman, but, what he lacks in actually playing defence is highlighted by the lack of a strong defencive partner from the right side. 
Sure, I get that he can do no wrong in the eyes of the Vancouver market. But, just as Tanev offered no offense, I think Hughes still has plenty to prove in his own zone. The question for me is, will anyone in the organisation challenge him to be more of a 2-way NHL Defenceman? Or, has it been decided that his offensive game is so mesmerizing that he gets a pass? THAT has nothing to do with the absence of Edler and Tanev. 

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, coho8888 said:

Try as I might, can't cheer for them to lose.  Not after Petey blocks 6 shots with his slim frame, not after Quinn logs 30 minutes and sets up the winner in OT.  Not after seeing Kuz's reaction to scoring the winning goal in OT.  Man, can't believe what we have in Kuz.  With 22 games left, the way he's going he may score 40 goals and 80 points in his first season.  Let that sink in for you.  Win or Lose, you can't say they are a boring team to watch.

What’s all of that worth at the Draft? 

When did ‘pulling up your socks’ at the end of the season equal a franchise player? 

• Cheers 1