The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

McDavid and the last quarter century

Rate this topic

Baratheon

Looks like McDavid will be the highest scoring player since Lemieux more than 25 years ago. He needs just 14 points if I'm not mistaken.  As a fan of the games history, that's pretty wild to me.  

I realize that he's not the most popular guy on here so I'm interested in everyone's take.

McDavid is a great player, no doubt about it. But he is benefiting from a high scoring era in his prime.

I don't think he is the guy I would choose to build around in the most recent greats, that still belongs to Crosby to me. Crosby is the best we've seen since Lemieux and Gretzky.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

McDavid is electric. The best show on ice since prime Pavel. 

It's a shame he hasn't won a cup yet. They look poised to go on a smooth run through the West. If they can get to the finals healthy, they could win it all this year. 

Not with that defense and goaltending.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

Defence maybe, but they can make some adjustments at the deadline. Goaltending is fine now, not great but passable. 

Playoff hockey has shown that you can't win with bad goaltending, even passable won't cut it. That defense is on par with the Canucks, if OEl, Dermott, Poolman, Schenn, Hughes, Myers, and Bear were in the lineup. It's that bad.

Edited by johngould21

56 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Looks like McDavid will be the highest scoring player since Lemieux more than 25 years ago. He needs just 14 points if I'm not mistaken.  As a fan of the games history, that's pretty wild to me.  

I realize that he's not the most popular guy on here so I'm interested in everyone's take.

Don't Forget about Erik Karlsson... He is likely going to become just the 6th defenseman to score 100+ points...

Mcdavid is on pace for 155 points only 3 players have ever scored that many points... to reach 165 points (putting him in the top 10 of most points in a single season all time) he would need to score at a 2.38 PPG pace. i dont think its impossible that he hits 165 points... he has only 7 really tough low scoring teams to play against (boston,colorado,Toronto Winnepeg, Vegas and Dallas) 

Its pretty Crazy

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

He's unbelievable--that said, we are in a different era of hockey these days. The rate of scoring is 3.16 goals per game, higher than it's been since 1993-94.

For sure

It's affecting everyone's totals lately.  Still a pretty insane cushion that he has on the rest of the pack however 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Playoff hockey has shown that you can't win with bad goaltending, even passable won't cut it. That defense is on par with the Canucks, if OEl, Dermott, Poolman, Schenn, Hughes, Myers, and Bear were in the lineup. It's that bad.

Passable goaltending in the regular season can sometimes turn into star goaltending in the playoffs, but it is a gamble. Skinner is still pretty young and it wouldn't surprise me if he has another level in him. Not too sure on their defense though, so that could be rough.

1 hour ago, Baratheon said:

For sure

It's affecting everyone's totals lately.  Still a pretty insane cushion that he has on the rest of the pack however 

Indeed. We'll see how his defensive game evolves, but I do think there is a real world where he surpasses Ovie and Crosby in terms of greatness in the coming years. Will need a few more playoff runs like last year though to really cement his legacy. At least a finals run would be good.

• Cheers 1

Best player ever with puck on stick, at high speed, attacking. Not a fan of his play away from the puck, especially when the other team has it. Will never win the Cup as the “key” guy. 

He is the modern day Marcel Dionne. 

1 hour ago, Bounce000 said:

I like how before the start of the season Mcdavid was all like “I’m going to shoot the puck more”

And now he’s going to win the Richard.

but everyone knew that's what would happen. he's just that talented. 

maybe he should have the stevie y epiphany and set his mind to being the best two-way player the world has ever seen. he has the tools to accomplish it, if he's willing to sacrifice the personal accolades. 

McDavid will probably win a gold medal at the next summer Olympics for his diving.

9 hours ago, johngould21 said:

All of those guys would be top 4 in Edmonton.  Even after the trade for a second NHLer, the Oilers blueline is a contender for the worst in the history of the league.

• Wat 1

45 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

McDavid will probably win a gold medal at the next summer Olympics for his diving.

All of those guys would be top 4 in Edmonton.  Even after the trade for a second NHLer, the Oilers blueline is a contender for the worst in the history of the league.

Speaking of Olympics, anybody think we will ever get the chance to see McDavid, Crosby, and Bedard on the same team Canada before Crosby retires?

• Cheers 1

On 2/28/2023 at 9:17 AM, Baratheon said:

How is this news? We knew he was better than Crosby before he was drafted. He was basically a hall of famer before he was drafted. 

It would be news if he wasn't doing this.

Playing in an AHL western confrence helps too