The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Time's up! Finish your last sentence...

AngryElf

17 minutes ago, Kubrick said:

I think Hronek’s injured and shut down. This may not affect the tank.

Yes. Tank is still on. Love the trade. Got a young and very good RHD that won’t effect our current tank.  

We also lost Miller to injury which will help as well.

RT needs to stop playing Dem too much. That’s the biggest risk to our tank right now.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

So how much would Parayko cost? There were Oiler rumors but that has cooled since they acquired Ek.

QH Parayko

OEL Hronek

Wolanin Bear

It would cost a lot but at this point they seem to be all in on turning this around quickly with EP, etc.

Could be a sneaky good D core. Would be relying on Hronek to elevate OEL (ideally OEL slides down one spot and they can sign a top 4 UFA LHD).

Parayko is nowhere near the player he was, he has struggled a lot in recent years and had injury issues.  He still has lots of name recognition so would likely get more in trade than he is worth.

Having said that, he isn't OEL like someone posted.  He is still a top pairing D who plays the right style that we need, and his contract is going to keep looking cheaper as the cap goes up.

The only deal that makes sense for us would be Miller for Parayko (plus whatever smaller pieces either way to even it out... we probably have to take on Kapanen or someone else to make money work).  We move long term cap liability for long term cap liability.  I wouldn't want to spend more futures on him.  It retools both St. Louis and us on the fly which seems like it is the plan for both teams.

If we are all in for trying to improve in the short term (which I disagree with... but seems to be what the plan is), there is a world where we have a rebuilt defence as soon as next season.

1.  Trade Miller for Parayko.  Trade Bear for something this deadline
2.  Move out Boeser and Garland to free up cap space
3.  Sign Graves in the offseason as a UFA
4.  Move Myers out after his bonus is paid to someone

Hughes-Parayko
Graves-Hronek
OEL-Schenn/Tryamkin/Livingstone
Dermott

That is actually a really nice D and means we don't have to score 6 goals a game to win.. but it shows we really need 1-2 more D and they need to be quality shot suppressors to make the pairings work properly.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Not really.  Plays on crap team.  Hes 29, physically he is huge and skates really well, and is at least a legit #2 on every team.  Would take him here anyday

OEL played on a crap team as well, not much difference. Big guys tend to slow down as they age (IMO) but there are exceptions.

Parayko turns 30 this year and will cost $6.5 million until he's 37.....he does not fit our timeline and hinders our ability to resign our star players. 

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Blitz-Pix said:

OEL played on a crap team as well, not much difference. Big guys tend to slow down as they age (IMO) but there are exceptions.

Parayko turns 30 this year and will vost $6.5 million until he's 37.....he does not fit our timeline and hinders our ability to resign our star players. 

Big Guys slow down so they need to work extra hard on their off-season and in-season fitness. OEL said himself he needed to work harder on his fitness. We must buy this guy out. 

2 hours ago, Conscience said:

Dont know why they would trade Beau, hes young and has chemistry with Petey and Kuz, same cant be said for Boeser or Garland.

Hope its Boeser gone today and Myers gone in the summer

I think he’s gonna be staying too he fits in great and has the age and skill set they like in a winger 

If the Canucks could sign Jake Livingstone, that would be huge.

They'll want good players 25 and younger, so Parayko etc are probably not the right players. 

Hope they keep Demko as well. Without goaltending, this team is atrocious. 

Trade or buyout Myers in off season

Hughes - Livingstone

? - Hronek

OEL - Bear

Dermott

Demko-Silovs

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

So how much would Parayko cost? There were Oiler rumors but that has cooled since they acquired Ek.

QH Parayko

OEL Hronek

Wolanin Bear

It would cost a lot but at this point they seem to be all in on turning this around quickly with EP, etc. Edit given Parayko's heavy contract, he might be available for less than I thought?

Could be a sneaky good D core. Would be relying on Hronek to elevate OEL (ideally OEL slides down one spot and they can sign a top 4 UFA LHD).

Parayko age contract and skill level aren’t a fit for us or our competitive window

hard pass from me 

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

They'll want good players 25 and younger, so Parayko etc are probably not the right players. 

Hughes - Livingstone

? - Hronek

OEL - Bear

Dermott

Demko-Silovs

This is where I am at right now.

Livingstone signing has to happen and we have to acquire a LHD that kills penalties and plays a simple game 

OEL buy out depending on his health, and Dermotts health 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Hughes Bear

Pettersson Hronek

is a sneaky good top 4.

I rather see Bear in the bottom pair. Wouldn't mind bringing Schenn back to partner with Hughes again. Or someone similar.

Myers gotta go and OEL probably takes the last LD spot.

4 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Parayko age contract and skill level aren’t a fit for us or our competitive window

hard pass from me 

I thought the window was the next year or two? Haha

With the contract it would have to be something like Boeser and Garland headed the other way...which is highly unlikely.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Big Guys slow down so they need to work extra hard on their off-season and in-season fitness. OEL said himself he needed to work harder on his fitness. We must buy this guy out. 

It will be intresting to see if/when they decide to trade or buyout OEL. I could see them waiting a season or 2 before doing anything but who knows.

We do need to form an exit stratgey from the OEL debacle but Management is kinda like my kids they're stubborn & never listen. LOL

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

OEL’s contract is not a buy out candidate. Horrible idea.

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hughes - Livingstone

? - Hronek

OEL - Bear

Dermott

Demko-Silovs

Someone else mentioned Graves as well - would be interesting

Hughes Livingstone

Graves Hronek

OEL Bear

27 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Not really.  Plays on crap team.  Hes 29, physically he is huge and skates really well, and is at least a legit #2 on every team.  Would take him here anyday

Playing on our crap team will turn that around? Shouldn’t be targetting anyone 29.  That would be as short sighted as signing Miller to a long extension, oh, wait, crap we are short sighted and making I’ll advised moves. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hughes - Livingstone

? - Hronek

OEL - Bear

Dermott

Demko-Silovs

Need to include Filip Johansson in there on the right as well. He's an RD who is now deemed NHL ready by management. He will likely be here before the end of the season.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Parayko turns 30 this year and will cost $6.5 million until he's 37.....he does not fit our timeline and hinders our ability to resign our star players

Your right does sound like something Benning 2.0 would be interested I.  

15 minutes ago, CroSen said:

I don't understand all of the facets of the salary cap.  If we are over, when do we have to get under by?

The Canucks are cap compliant and don't need to get under this season as long as they don't exceed their authorised upper limit.  They are over because they are using LTIR.  Every player counts against the cap including those on IR or LTIR.  By going on LTIR it allows the team to exceed the salary cap up to the LTIR player's cap hit so that he can be replaced on the roster.

Teams are always cap compliant.  Every transaction is registered with the NHL's Central Registry to make sure that teams are following all rules and the cap.  

The regular season cap is calculated over the regular season (Oct-April).  Off-season accounting is different as every player is back on the roster and it can be tedious to keep track.  CapFriendly only shows regular season accounting.  

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Trade or buyout Myers this offseason

Myers contract is buyout proof. Would cost us $5333000 in cap space. Meaning we lose cap space even if we replace him with a league minimum player.

After his bonus is paid we will actually get a pick for him.