The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[3-Way Trade] Rangers acquire Patrick Kane, Cooper Zech; Blackhawks acquire Andy Welinski, Vili Saarijarvi, conditional 2023 2nd-round pick, 2025 4th-round pick; Coyotes acquire 2025 3rd-round pick

2 minutes ago, mll said:

PLD just signed his 6M QO last year.  Would expect him to do the same if he isn't traded.  

That's what I think will happen too. And then if the Jets don't look like they will be competing for a cup next year, they will create a bidding war for him as strictly a rental to teams that are.

Just now, myre said:

Sure and then Winnipeg gets absolutely nothing for him. You're kind of contradicting yourself between that matter and this matter. The fact that he's a restricted free agent doesn't really change a whole lot. He only wants to play in Montreal. I have thought for a while that Winnipeg was totally going to get screwed in that deal, but based on what Kane returned they might get screwed harder than I thought.

I'm not contradicting myself at all. Kane has a full NMC, he can pick and choose where he would accept a trade to and if there was only one team well then that team doesn't have to pay a premium. With PLD, he has no control where he plays at this point in time, he can want to play in Montreal all he wants but the fact is the Jets have all the control until summer 2024 when PLD can become a free agent.

If he only signs his QO this summer and not a long term extension, and the Jets aren't looking like they can be competitive for a cup they will trade him to a team who will be. And they have the ability to make a bidding war, because they can trade PLD to the highest bidder. The Hawks could only trade Kane to where Kane would allow it, thus no bidding war.

8 minutes ago, .Naslund said:

NYR already gifted us Kravstov what more do you guys want!?!

He's not really that good - yet. Pretty overrated considering a lot of the NYR fans have resigned to the fact that they ruined yet another prospect.

1 minute ago, greenbean30 said:

I'm not contradicting myself at all. Kane has a full NMC, he can pick and choose where he would accept a trade to and if there was only one team well then that team doesn't have to pay a premium. With PLD, he has no control where he plays at this point in time, he can want to play in Montreal all he wants but the fact is the Jets have all the control until summer 2024 when PLD can become a free agent.

If he only signs his QO this summer and not a long term extension, and the Jets aren't looking like they can be competitive for a cup they will trade him to a team who will be. And they have the ability to make a bidding war, because they can trade PLD to the highest bidder. The Hawks could only trade Kane to where Kane would allow it, thus no bidding war.

Why would any other team pay a premium? And why would there be a bidding war when everybody knows he only wants to play in Montreal? That is my point so it's pretty much identical.

13 minutes ago, myre said:

Just imagine if he was a Vancouver Canuck people would be livid with that return. Remember Kesler trade? Looking better and better now haha

Yes. Kesler had full NTC and there was no bidding war. JB still managed to get 1st, Bonino (3C), and Sbisa (6D).

I guess one difference compared to Kane is that Kesler had terms left in his deal so Vancouver didn't have to trade him if the return was truly underwhelming. Chicago had to get something as Kane is a pending UFA.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, myre said:

Why would any other team pay a premium? And why would there be a bidding war when everybody knows he only wants to play in Montreal? That is my point so it's pretty much identical.

Because teams will be competing for a cup, and will want to give themselves the best possible chance. If PLD is available, there will be teams that will be in on him hard for their playoff run and will pay to get him, because if the teams they are competing against get him for their run, it would make things a lot tougher. Teams pay premiums all the time for rentals thinking it will make them more competitive which gives them a better chance at winning the cup.

1 minute ago, myre said:

He's still an option as a TDL rental - most TDL trades are upcoming UFAs.  He can always then sign with Montreal as UFA.

3 minutes ago, myre said:

Hmm, I guess there will be a bidding war between teams wanting his service for one season to help push for the cup.

The team acquiring him knows he is a pending UFA and very unlikely to re-sign him. So the price won't be sky high, that part you are right.

• Cheers 1

Just now, jyu said:

Yes. Kesler had full NTC and there was no bidding war. JB still managed to get 1st, Bonino (3C), and Sbisa (6D).

I guess one difference compared to Kane is that Kesler had terms left in his deal so Vancouver didn't have to trade him if the return was truly underwhelming. Chicago had to get something as Kane is a pending UFA.

I agree I was just expecting more I guess. Feel like Bettman wants the Rangers to do well.:frantic:

4 minutes ago, myre said:

For the same reason why team's pay a premium for a pending UFA. PDL would be a trade deadline rental for a playoff push - which teams pay a premium for.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

He's still an option as a TDL rental - most TDL trades are upcoming UFAs.  He can always then sign with Montreal as UFA.

Of course but the offers likely won't be earth shattering.

2 minutes ago, jyu said:

Hmm, I guess there will be a bidding war between teams wanting his service for one season to help push for the cup.

The team acquiring him knows he is a pending UFA and very unlikely to re-sign him. So the price won't be sky high, that part you are right.

Yeah, to be honest I think he's totally screwed. Winnipeg. Even if that's what he wanted, he should have just kept his mouth shut.