The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

Well, this does nothing to move us out of mediocrity and in fact keeps us there. Fans get what's wrong. Management doesn't have a clue. Let's keep retooling on the fly. It sure is working.

Fans 8- Management -0

fans 8 - years they have missed playoffs and what fans know needs to happen -  management nothing 0- they just don't and haven't gotten it. 
Fans with the trading of Horvat and Schenn  to todays trade of picks. 

wait what smile GIF by Bounce

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • RoughGame 2

6 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Hronek is not a good top 4 D though but will be paid like one.

We have too many holes in the lineup, can't afford to spend premium assets like this. 

Petey and Hughes will run away after seeing this terrible trade, and realize that we'll be capped out with little help on the way.

He is a legit top 4D.  He doesn't seem suited for either of our top two pairings though.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Somehow Allvin made a desperation move during a time that’s reserved for buyers to be desperate.

The timeline for this sucks too. He’s gonna be asking for top dollar as soon as Petey’s new contract kicks in. We could have just signed an overpriced D man in free agency. It’s not like we’re gonna be good in the next two years when he still has a reasonable contract.

This move just doesn’t make sense unless there’s another big move to address the D core coming.

How the heck did we become buyers?  What are we doing?  Giving away 1st rounders for what? A chance to make the playoffs? I don’t get it.     Desperately CLINGING to Mediocrity.   

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Which has value to the team for the near term and long term. 

Having Hronek as a second offensive option to Hughes, then it opens up more opportunities for games to be won.

If the opposition puts their best against Hughes and PP1, then PP2 could be the group that burns them. That’s the hope of course. 

Same thing 5v5. If the opposition’s top defensive assets go up against out top line plus top D-pair, then Coach Tik-Tocc has another offensive weapon to help produce that offense without having to get Hughes play so many big minutes game to game. 

Hronek can help alleviate that issue as well. 

All your points are solid, but I don't want the team to bring player value in right now. I want them to lean into being bad this season and be patient. So, fundamentally I'm gonna struggle with this deal no matter what.

43 minutes ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

Detroit has been among the worst teams in the league for almost a decade.

Larkin is like -80 for his career and they just paid him $70M for 8 years.

Comparing Dylan Larkin and Hronek is not helping chase this trade down. 

• Haha 1

I agree it's weird that we are trading picks. But lets be real, they told us they weren't rebuilding. As far as retooling moves go, it's hard to be mad at Hronek. Right handed, defensively responsible, hits on occasion. RIGHT HANDED :wub: He's 26 in November. If we can dump Boeser for literally anything and an expiring contract. We have some cap space to make some moves.

We were literally celebrating having 8 picks in the draft. Like that meant we were a true rebuilder. Writing was on the wall that's not what we do. Not sure why y'all are surprised. And like I said, as far as retooling moves. Trading for a 25 year old RHD that is putting up 38 points in 60 games for Detroit? Come on. He won't fix our defensive issues on his own, but he's actually not terrible at it like everyone else on our blueline. I like it. Call me stupid. B)

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Ronning4center said:

9 goals and 40 points?  When did we last have that production from any Defenceman not names hughes?  and at 25 years old?  Edler only did it twice

in his whole career.  This guy makes just over 4 million.  He's a RHD ....Sooo we got everything we wanted and are still upset?  Foolishness...

The stats make him look better than he is.

Go watch him play, consistently. He's not that good defensively.

Edited by Master Mind

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Well, this does nothing to move us out of mediocrity and in fact keeps us there. Fans get what's wrong. Management doesn't have a clue. Let's keep retooling on the fly. It sure is working.

delusions of grandeur. 

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

May have to unfortunately to get rid of Myers, Miller or Boeser. 

Hopefully picks, players and prospects in return help even out the loss of picks. 

I’d prefer retention instead of picks but ya never know. 

That would be the dumbest thing ever. Spend assets to end up in the bottom 15 ... like wtf?

Just let them expire. We're hooped on Miller.

1 minute ago, Ronning4center said:

9 goals and 40 points?  When did we last have that production from any Defenceman not names hughes?  and at 25 years old?  Edler only did it twice

in his whole career.  This guy makes just over 4 million.  He's a RHD ....Sooo we got everything we wanted and are still upset?  Foolishness...

Yzerman obviously decided to become a seller after losing twice to the Sens.

I look at this as opportunistic as it's probably just the first of a number of Wing moves coming now.

Hronek hits a lot of the right buttons for us as others have pointed out.... and RHD are harder to come by let alone one in our wheelhouse.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think PA sees himself as 

YARN | Look, we're gonna shake things up. | Moneyball (2011) | Video gifs  by quotes | 3a47b2d2 | 紗

when really, he's more 

Airplane Auntie Em GIF - Airplane Auntie Em Twister - Discover & Share GIFs

He probably thinks he can pull off what Kevin Costner did in Draft Day. God forbid if we somehow manage to get 1OA, he'd still pick someone not named Bedard.

• Tanks a lot 1