The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

Just now, N7Nucks said:

Y'all act like Hronek is 32 or something. He's one year older than Petey and is younger than Demko. He's right in line age wise with our core players.

Unless the Canucks get rid of OEL it doesn’t make sense.  We’re going to have far too many aging players locked into long term contracts. Winning teams don’t do this.   This reeks of desperation 

This deal confuses me as far as the direction of this team.

Solud RHD but giving up high picks is confusing.

So is it win now, build for the future, acquire picks? Not really sure.

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

The frustrating part of this is we STILL need another top-4 RD. Are we taking a run at Severson in UFA?

If we get Severson without having to trade anything for him, I'll feel better about this move. a 1st and a 2nd for 2x top-4 RD is much less painful. 

Hughes-Severson

OEL-Hronek

Dermott-Bear

Is probably an NHL defense if OEL can play like he did last year. 

We are making a pitch for severson for sure. I can see it from miles away. 

they desperately need to trade Myers though and probably Boeser as well. 

Not the right time to make such move when we're at bottom of the standing.  Let make some picks then we'll talk about such moves in the off-season on what we have got from those picks.  What if NYI wins the first overall next year and that would have been us.  So much ganble here.

2 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Sure, they can go on all they want about it, but one guy posted...  

"Lol try to find any posts of mine complaining about defensemen. We need to stock up with as much draft picks as possible and pray to get at least ONE offensive game changer. We currently have zero.

Hello??? You could've drafted Hughes! Haha! Too funny.

Think of how disgusting their blueline would be with Hronek, Seider and Hughes? Sheeeeeesh. Now they are trading Hronek hoping to draft someone that can move the puck. I am guessing they are hoping for Sandin Pellika with that Isles pick. If not with their own pick. They'd be out of a rebuild already if they took Hughes instead of Zadina.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Pure961089 said:

Unless the Canucks get rid of OEL it doesn’t make sense.  We’re going to have far too many aging players locked into long term contracts. Winning teams don’t do this.   This reeks of desperation 

They have been looking for an rd for a long time. And when one became available, they jumped on it without hesitation. 

3 hours later and this trade still SUCKS

Trades Horvat, gets fans excited we're finally REBUILDING.

Wakes up today and decides to pull off a JB retool special

Edited by Gator
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, Pure961089 said:

No, it reeks of addressing one of a couple longstanding needs. You can appreciate that aspect, right?

2 minutes ago, GB5 said:

Neither are any of the dolts in management. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

Not enough impact players, the need is for twice as many as that

So we were going to draft these “impact players” , and wait how long for them to develop into prime NHL “impact players” ?

We would lose the core we have waiting for these players ,  who ever they are??

who are they ??   .. and what have they done to date? 

Said this before,   If you like watching young guys skate circles,  heavily invest your time in Pond Puppy,  Bantam, or major Midget hockey ..   you’ll enjoy it so much more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pure961089 said:

We needed d-men, preferably RHD. We need to move wingers. Not d-men. Boeser and Garland out. That's 12 mil in cap. We have wingers that can take their spots. OEL, Hughes, Hronek and another top 4 RHD and now our defence isn't so pathetic. Again, adding Hronek is not really an issue if we can move some of our redundant forwards.

let's keep in mind that they have Johanssen having a heckuva year in Sweden as well

Hughes     Hronek

OEL          Johanssen

Wolanin    Myers/ Schenn (maybe)

Breezer

Not horrible  if nothing else happens

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I've watched several of their games.  Hronek is a legit top 4 Dman.  He plays both ends of the ice.  He's a +8 on a team where most of the players are a minus.  Seider is a -8, Larkin a -4, Chiarot a -23.  He has the 2nd best +/- on the entire team while averaging over 21 minutes a night which is the 2nd most average minutes on the entire team.  He is on pace for over 50 points and is 2nd on the entire team in points.  He averages almost 2 hits per game and 1 block per game.  

He has literally been one of the best, if not, the best Detroit Red Wings player this year.  

What about you?  What makes you think this player sucks?

Plus, what does Stevie Y think about NYI?

Does he prefer the 13th this year or the unbridled 2024 1st?

I'm betting he prefers to go long for the 2024; does that mean he thinks NYI are doomed?

(Personally, I wouldn't mind knowing what he thinks, that would be interesting, but I think his rep is a bit overblown on here.)

PA has dealt with that variable, its Stevie's now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GB5 said:

It's a re-tool as advertised... front office was convinced this is what fans wanted...

Whoever we draft first round will be expected to make an immediate impact.  After that... don't expect any of those picks (traded or drafted) to see the light of day in Vancouver.  They will inevitably be flipped for other 25-year olds.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

they'll have to clear out major cap to do that and those windows are closing fst

.. but there could be help immediately from Livingstone / Tryamkin / D Petterssen .. at least at a 6/7 role to start.

Just now, stawns said:

let's keep in mind that they have Johanssen having a heckuva year in Sweden as well

Hughes     Hronek

OEL          Johanssen

Wolanin    Myers/ Schenn (maybe)

Breezer

Not horrible  if nothing else happens

The Canuck way since 2014.

Eh, we're not horrible. SUCCESS!

SMH

• Like 1