The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I think we gotta remember we didn't move our pick. That's the real money maker. The Isles pick at best was gonna get us a player we hope would become a Hronek type 5-7 years from now. By then Hughes and Petey are either gone or approaching the end of their prime, and who knows what we have in Demko, 5 years from now he's 33. Our pick at least has the chance of being a difference maker in 2-3 years.

Horvat for Hronek, Beauvillier and Raty is a pretty big trade for us. We got a cheaper center and helped improve a depleted RD spot and a speedy winger. We still need more work. If the plan was full rebuild, we may as well move Hughes and Petey. But we all knew the idea was retool. We had an extra 1st rounder to target a mid 25 year old player, the fact he's a RD is actually very nice for us. If it was another winger I would have smashed my monitor.

I don’t know. Mid 1st has players projected to be pretty good. 

getting an rd is difficult so the price is justified. But why now? That’s desperation. You never make the best decision out of desperation. 

3 minutes ago, High and Inside said:

We also gave up a 2nd this year where we could of potentially got a pretty good defenceman. There is no way this deal should have happened.  

We need to draft D yea but we also need D in our core age range. This is a good trade, right Handed D men are the hardest assets to acquire .

We still have 6 picks in the first 4 rounds 

Edited by BlakeQuinnAndEggs

With the acquisitions of AB, Raty, VK and Bloom we were able to stock pile some young talent with some NHL ready talent.  This enabled us to let go of the NYI pick and a 2nd round pick.  I would have preferred only 1 pick going out for Hronek but it's not as bad as people are making it out to be.

With the way things are going this season, we will still have our lottery pick which is all that really matters now with the young players we've acquired so far.  I'm hoping BB is moved for another pick and or piece and then this TDL can be labeled as a success.  If not, it's still not a bad way moving forward.

Edited by Metal Face Doom

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

It's REALLY hard to find a top 4 RD in the draft.

I'm good with this trade, Hronek is just entering his prime, he's at a really reasonable cap hit for next season and he's an RFA when this contract expires.

Go through the past draft database and see how many RD past the first 12 picks (which was a restriction on the NYI pick) develop into guys who put up .63 points per game.

Our problem isn't offense or even coaching, it's our ability to move the puck out of our own zone. This guy directly addresses that, which is what we were hoping to accomplish by trading Horvat.

YA, and if this was a LD id be sad, but cause its a RD, i feel its a worthy trade and something we need

1 minute ago, High and Inside said:

We also gave up a 2nd this year where we could of potentially got a pretty good defenceman. There is no way this deal should have happened.  

5 years from now, if he ever played an NHL game, which the odds are against

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bissurnette said:

Yeah that doesn't tell me you watched him play, that just tells me you looked up his stats.

I never said he sucks, he's just not the right type of dman we need. It's like with the Oilers going after Karlsson...

Seider has been getting the matchup assignments for 2 years now. Hronek plays behind him. He plays pp, and he skates decently well, but gets lost in 5on5 coverage. Has a good first pass and can skate the puck but he's not the shutdown dman we need to complement our existing top 4 dmen in OEL and Hughes. At least not for the foreseeable future. He's never been great at defence but he's having an up year statistically. But offence isn't the question mark with him, or with this team for that matter. The only hope is that he gels well in Tocchets system where his defense isn't an issue.

Not what we needed, especially for a 1st rounder that could turn out to be a top 5 pick next year. And if we're going to trade this pick, we should have gone after chychrun who's younger, played the right side under Tocchet and is much more of a fit for what we need in our top 4 the way it's currently constructed.

650 had a guy on from Detroit, who has watched every Detroit game, which obviously neither one of us have done.  He said Hronek has improved defensively and shut down Stamkos when they played Tampa.  He said he is a legit top 4 Dman and the reason they traded him is they were worried about his next contract.  He obviously is behind Seider on their depth chart, so they probably didn't want to pay both of them.

OEL is not going to be on this team next year.  Even Satiar Shah is now saying there is a real possibility they will buy him out.  So, we are most likely targeting someone like Olli Maata to play with him next year.  Ryan Graves would be my first choice.  Hronek will be on the 2nd pairing, no he's not a shutdown Dman, I never said he was, but he will complement a shutdown Dman that we hopefullly will acquire to partner him.

The NYI pick won't be a top 5 pick.  They will finish at 13th or higher this year and Detroit will get that pick in 2023.

Chychrun is a LHD.  We were targeting a RHD.  If Tocchet really wanted Chychrun I am sure he is the guy we would have traded for...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Stevie didn't want Hughes. have you seen the blue line he's drafting. 

Sieder6'4 Edvinsson 6'4

Wallinder6'4 Tuomisto 6'5

Buium 6'3

It was holland at that time. I think… please correct me if I’m wrong. 

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Explain Arizona please.

The coyotes are caught between the Ahl and Nhl in a mode where they collect draft piks and can’t fill a five thousand seat arena and pay to take other teams junk

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Stop pretending that everyone had the same opinion on this....

Many of us who hate this deal weren't saying squat about RHD. We wanted an effing rebuild.

So did u want to trade EP and QH as well as part of that rebuild? Because what mgmt just did was help secure a little more stability with which we can at least utilize in encouraging our stars to stay. You can’t have it both ways Rupert. 
id rather us do what we can to keep our two ELITE players than burn shit down with hopes we one day find another EP or QH.

• Upvote 1

As it stands right now the islanders pick would be 17 oa. With 64 games played and 70 pts. and pitts with 4 games in hand at 60 games 69 pts. With all the moves pitts made it’s safe to say they’ll pass NYI thereby making the pick 18 oa. 

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Stop pretending that everyone had the same opinion on this....

Many of us who hate this deal weren't saying squat about RHD. We wanted an effing rebuild.

What? Another 10 or more years? Wow. Buffalo and Arizona are in perpetual rebuild. When does it stop? 

You need "the right guy" running the show, otherwise, you're just spinning your wheels.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

It's REALLY hard to find a top 4 RD in the draft.

I'm good with this trade, Hronek is just entering his prime, he's at a really reasonable cap hit for next season and he's an RFA when this contract expires.

Go through the past draft database and see how many RD past the first 12 picks (which was a restriction on the NYI pick) develop into guys who put up .63 points per game.

Our problem isn't offense or even coaching, it's our ability to move the puck out of our own zone. This guy directly addresses that, which is what we were hoping to accomplish by trading Horvat.

Forget about moving the puck out. We can't even get the puck before it goes in our net

15 minutes ago, GB5 said:

Except for the bubble year Canucks have been in the bottom 10 for a decade and need a proper rebuild.

This is a move you make when you're close but these guys are delusional if the think this team is close.

Canucks could rebuild and become a powerhouse but rather choose to strive to try and become a middle of the pack team.

To add :    Arizona last years draft alone:

424D19AD-A81C-4AB3-B618-CF84CA345AB2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

And who are you?

Why don't you ask the Canuck fans here if they heard of Filip Hronek? 

I have nothing against him but I am just saying? If he was good, I am sure many of us would be ok with this trade. But I think the fans aren't happy because it appears we gave up too much for him. But we could be wrong. And this forum is for everyone to voice their opinion!!! 

Just now, stawns said:

so what, just piss all over Petey and Hughes?

You mean as opposed to what they're going through right now?

They're pros. They get how the business works and I'd wager they'd prefer being a true contender in 5 years, over a bubble team in 2....

5 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

You're right but we should have gotten a better D for giving up a deep draft year for 1st and 2nd plus.

I think most of us aren't happy is because of the mediocre D that is coming back in return for high draft picks!! I never even heard of him until today!!! 

This has just as much to do with cap as everything else this player offers