The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

25 minutes ago, sxqhfeh said:

Of course players want to win now. Players are stupid. There’s no incentive for them to be patient. There’s no incentive for them to want what’s best for the team. There’s a reason why the players don’t run the team.

Seriously, though. There is no choice between good now and good later. GMs don’t rebuild because they love waiting. They do it because it’s the right way to build a team, and it gives them the best possible chance of winning a championship. Anyone who tells you they want a bottom five team to “win now” is telling you they want to cut corners and take shortcuts. That’s the bottom line.

What’s your long term plan? Lay it out I want to hear

Edited by .Naslund
Clarification

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

And signing aging players has worked out so well for the Canucks.   You know what the definition of insanity is?  Doing the same thing over and over for over a decade and every year expecting a different result.   But it’s a mute point anyway.  Petey and Hughes don’t want to be part of a rebuild. 

Then that's all you need to justify management's current approach right now. End of story. 

Has the execution of the re-tool so far been great? Hell no. But you better bet your ass hoarding draft picks is not the way we're going, so either buckle up for the ride ahead or sell your season tickets now and we'll see you back in a decade. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Then that's all you need to justify management's current approach right now. End of story. 

Has the execution of the re-tool so far been great? Hell no. But you better bet your ass hoarding draft picks is not the way we're going, so either buckle up for the ride ahead or sell your season tickets now and we'll see you back in a decade. 

I love this trade. A real NHL defensman who can play now for a couple prospect guesses.

We can still trade for Bedard with our real life players over the summer

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Jurmo, Klimovich, Hoglander, Bloom, Rathbone, Silovs, Petey D, Johansson, Raty, Lekkerimaki.  Not sure how people can say our cupboards are bare…

what stands out is how long it takes these prospects to be ready for. NHL. its not like a Huges or Petty. the trade today was way better than what we gave Toronto for Schenn.

4 minutes ago, Mbnuckfan said:

I don’t understand why people are slamming the coilers for wasting mcdavid and draisaitls prime are so willing to waste Petterssons and Hughes prime by wanting a full rebuild.
   Management is doing exactly what they said were going to do. I’m in the minority here but I really like the trade. I hope Hronek has a great and long career with the Nucks. 
    Everyone clamouring for a RHD have gotten what they asked for, including myself. 
    Do I think this puts them in the conversation for the cup next year? Probably not, but I do believe we have a lot of really good pieces to start heading that way. 

****GO CANUCKS GO****

To be fair McDavid and Drais have wasted their prime years themselves when they squeezed every last penny from their organization.  They’ve got no money left to build a team around them. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

This trade had some real sticker price shock to it. But, man, if he does hit...

I really want to see Hughes and Hronek together to see what they can do. The ceiling is so high, but will they reach it?

I think having two offensive dmen together is dangerous. They both can move the puck and skate and make plays and score, but then they also both need a partner to help defensively. 

That’s not a knock on them per se, just a realization that they both ought to be split up, driving the play from the backend, and having a D partner that can be a reliable player if and when the play goes quickly the other way. 

Just my thoughts. 

7 minutes ago, jovocop55 said:

Let’s see when he will actually plays.  This guy was already injured and made it worst last game.  Someone mention he had something around his arm wrapped

If he doesn’t play for a while, no big deal. 

The team needs to tank. 

Climbing up the standings doesn’t help the future of the franchise. 

• Cheers 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

26 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

hold on now, we are bottom 6 not bottom 5, we can still fight to barely not make the playoffs

Well we are keeping with tradition by trading our picks, we might as well keep with tradition and go on our yearly winning streak at the end. Why this team tries so hard after they are out of it is beyond me. Then the fans who say this winning will do wonders come out and guess what, it don't mean crap.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Tanks a lot 1

20 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I think having two offensive dmen together is dangerous. They both can move the puck and skate and make plays and score, but then they also both need a partner to help defensively. 

That’s not a knock on them per se, just a realization that they both ought to be split up, driving the play from the backend, and having a D partner that can be a reliable player if and when the play goes quickly the other way. 

Just my thoughts. 

Hughes is underrated defensively and still continues to get better, which is crazy. Hronek has also improved defensively, apparently. They'll have the puck so often. Great passer with great shot. Gotta give them a go.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Hughes is underrated defensively and still continues to get better, which is crazy. Hronek has also improved defensively, apparently. They'll have the puck so often. Great passer with great shot. Gotta give them a go.

Imagine the Petey line on with Hughes and Hronek when we need a goal.  We'd be all the over the ice.  And the PP too.  With Hronek, we could play the PP with 2 Dmen now.  Miller could just play the bumper and we put Hronek in Miller's spot for the one timer...

• Cheers 2