The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

8 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Please explain how it isn’t given where we are in the standings and Hronek having only 1 year on his contract left with a $5M QO?

Don’t forget to include the vast wealth of cap space we have and will have. lol

Cap flexibility this management group sure like to say it if only they actually wanted it. 

we will be behind the cap eight ball this summer once again and then they speak of long term handcuffs on buyouts lolololol.

I wonder how the low ball EP offer is going to fair.

were not building anything we’re assembling a team that can maybe hopefully compete for the prized last wildcard spot!!! 

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, if we're gonna pay through the nose in terms of picks or prospects, then make sure it's for a really well established player.  Hronek is on pace for over 50 points this season.  That would put him among the top 15 best seasons by a Canuck defenceman in the history of the franchise!  Put that into perspective!

Sounds good on paper but;

1. He only has one year left on his current contract
  2. He will very likely want a big raise and eat up substantial cap if he's renewed
  3. There is no guarantee he'll even want to stay here and could very easily decide to leave the "Aqua-Lini Tire Fire" and go somewhere normal.
  4. He was in a substantial decline in the later part of this season
  5. He is now injured and likely can't even play with us for awhile.
  6.  We just threw away a First Round pick in a very deep draft year that we could have restocked the empty cupboards with.
  7. We just threw away a Second Round pick in a very deep draft year that we could have restocked the empty cupboards with.
  8. He better be Bobby Orr for giving up so much in a generational draft year where we could have layed the foundation for a rebuild for those of us who aren't 74 years old and are in a rush to try and get one more "hurrah' in life before you know what!
  9. This retool is no better than anything JB would have done and failed.
  10. This would have been the best year in the last decade to start a rebuid a) When we need it. b) When the draft Class is so talented c) When we have 3 picks in the top two rounds (two of them seeded high) and the fans were ready and even demanding it - because WE ARE ALL FED UP with half baked tinkering along the edes.
  11.  This Smells of Aqua-Lini Impatience ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL over it, just to sucker-in a few more fans and try and keep a few extra seats warm with a bit of false hope to finance his Leaky Condo Building empire.
  12. This proves JR misled us when he said a "Major Rebuild" was required, as all he's done is Trade Bo and a 3rd string Defenseman (Schenn) and that is far from a major rebuild in anyones books.
  13. This only delays the inevitable rebuild that we will need after this one pick because it won't change anything in the grand scheme of things.
  14. Lastly, this reconfirms my wise decision to cancel my season Tickets last year after well over two decades because nothing will ever change while that idiot Aqua-lini meddles in this teams affairs.

The Aqua-lini Tire Fire Continues...............tire fire GIF

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

2. He will very likely want a big raise and eat up substantial cap if he's renewed
  3. There is no guarantee he'll even want to stay here and could very easily decide to leave the "Aqua-Lini Tire Fire" and go somewhere normal.
  6.  We just threw away a First Round pick in a very deep draft year that we could have restocked the empty cupboards with.
  7. We just threw away a Second Round pick in a very deep draft year that we could have restocked the empty cupboards with.
  8. He better be Bobby Orr for giving up so much in a generational draft year where we could have layed the foundation for a rebuild for those of us who aren't 74 years old and are in a rush to try and get one more "hurrah' in life before you know what!
  10. This would have been the best year in the last decade to start a rebuid a) When we need it. b) When the draft Class is so talented c) When we have 3 picks in the top two rounds (two of them seeded high) and the fans were ready and even demanding it - because WE ARE ALL FED UP with half baked tinkering along the edes.
  11.  This Smells of Aqua-Lini Impatience ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL over it, just to sucker-in a few more fans and try and keep a few extra seats warm with a bit of false hope to finance his Leaky Condo Building empire.
  12. This proves JR misled us when he said a "Major Rebuild" was required, as all he's done is Trade Bo and a 3rd string Defenseman (Schenn) and that is far from a major rebuild in anyones books.
  13. This only delays the inevitable rebuild that we will need after this one pick because it won't change anything in the grand scheme of things.
  14. Lastly, this reconfirms my wise decision to cancel my season Tickets last year after well over two decades because nothing will ever change while that idiot Aqua-lini meddles in this teams affairs.

Tell us how you truly feel lol.

Honestly, I can see this from both sides.  I think there's LOTS to like about this trade, and there is plenty to not like as well.  Until we see how he plays for us, I'm not passing that much judgement.  All I know is we acquired a defenceman that is a huge upgrade on Myers.  With Myers contract ending at the same time, Hronek is the replacement on RHD. 

PS - he's an RFA, so he's not going anywhere without the Canucks having a say.

• Huggy Bear 1

16 hours ago, SilentSam said:

So we were going to draft these “impact players” , and wait how long for them to develop into prime NHL “impact players” ?

We would lose the core we have waiting for these players ,  who ever they are??

who are they ??   .. and what have they done to date? 

Said this before,   If you like watching young guys skate circles,  heavily invest your time in Pond Puppy,  Bantam, or major Midget hockey ..   you’ll enjoy it so much more.

So McDavid will be traded, what for? Picks maybe?

How long do picks take to become impact players? Dahlin was what 3 years? Hughes was 3 years? McVoy 2 years, Sergachev 2 years, any number of 21 year olds?

You ignore the very players on this team time line's.

With a proper plan and half decent, because that is all this team has had under Benning, drafting 2 to 3 years is not that much time, more thn that has been wasted on ready made players that failed on this team.

Name two winning teams that did it without top draft picks on it? Who are the most important players on this team? Where did they come from? How many are there and where is the team in the standings?

Watching young players skate in circles, isn't that what has been happening the last 7 years here? Horvat, then Boeser, then Juloevi, then Pettersson before he came, Hughes before he came and then one year for each. All done by accident without a plan and ended up aging out Horvat, Boeser and soon Pettersson and Hughes.

Just WHO are they going to trade for these superior players? ALL THEIR DRAFT PICKS? And then miss out on an accidental Hughes or Pettersson in the draft?

There wasn't before and will not be now any type of instant gratification, it is a long term plan. The cap does restrict some trades, if the team has it then trades can happen, if it doesn't have space then "TRADES ARE SO HARD IT IS DOLLAR IN AND DOLLAR OUT" which as demonstrated now is crud!

47 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Captain Horvat gone

Schenn gone

Boeser is going

maybe Miller too

things are happening, and TDL isn't until tomorrow

My math says 2 changes have occurred. One major with Bo and a minor change with an old 3rd string defenseman on the worst defensive corp. in the entire NHL..   

P.S. ever consider a job in politics with your skill in exaggeration?   Car sales, Real-estate sales, Sham-Wow or My Pillow company???

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I'm off the "rebuild" mindset as it's clear as day it will never ever happen under Franky. 

I HOPE we can find a strong defensive LHD along with hronek and signing Livingstone for our right side. The potential of our top 4 would would be light-years better than what we roll with now or really anything we have in the last 10 years

That is exactly it.  I still think the fast retool is a bad idea, but IF that is their plan they need to start figuring out the defence.  I would argue we still need a top pairing defensive D for the Hughes pairing as well as a strong defensive D for Hronek.  I don't think Livingstone can be pencilled in as more than a 6/7 guy this year.

Graves is a pretty ideal partner and Severson is a decent partner for Hughes... both of those guys are going to get paid.  Sadly they are probably in the same range, likely less as Myers and OEL cost, and imagine that cap being available to sign both those guys...

• Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

We have to be very excited about the potential. Pairing these two with reliable d-side partners is still out there. Maybe today will help with that.

I would be OK with it if management finally puts together a stable D core (by trading out our excess wingers) and getting top 4 defensive defenceman.

Still the challenge of what to do with OEL and Myers.

***fingers crossed ***

10 minutes ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Interesting times ahead.  Just don't see how they can keep all these players without some sort of salary dump by tomorrow or during the draft week.  They have 4 players on IR plus a bunch on LTIR and have cap space of about 3M+.  OEL is on IR and will take up 7M+ when he comes back. Then they have to resign Ethan Bear as he is a UFA.  Mikhevev is another 4.7M when he is off but not till next fall - think the mgmt and capologist have a bit of work to do.  Never boring in this Canucksville.

As you said, OEL is on IR, not LTIR so his 7m is still counting against the cap currently. We also aren't fully using the LTIR to full effect for those on LTIR, we are using just under 6.5M of LTIR. We have 3.775 of dead cap and buy out cap coming off the books, ferlands 3.5M will be off the books which is part of the LTIR used right now so that alone gets us above being compliant. Then consider any cap raises, and that I don't think Poolman or Pearson play again. We still probably need to trade Boeser or Garland to afford the raises and have a bit of wiggle room but its not as bad as you make it sound.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Yes, especially if Räty almost takes Horvats place himself. If so it’s almost flabbergasting good.

Who knows, if Beau continues his good play, he may bring back a 1st on his own, and then the Horvat +2nd would have brought back a 1st + a top 4 rhd + a C prospect...

To start with most folks would have snapped this up in a second.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Point #1 - 1 year left on his current deal and then a RFA.  A bridge contract is a distinct possibility.

Point #6 - The Canucks traded the pick for a bonafide top 4 RHD, which has been the biggest hole in the lineup for years.  If you consider that throwing away the pick there is no much to convince you otherwise.

Point #7 - See above.

Point #8 - You seriously think there is a single generational talent in the range that would be the NYI pick?  For real?? 

Point #10 - The draft is a complete crap shoot.  Sure there the talent may extend a bit deeper in to the first round, however, it is still a gamble.  I'm not fed up at all, so not sure why you are speaking on everyone's behalf.  

Point #11 - The owner has paid millions and millions for the team, so it's well within his rights to have input on decisions regarding his business interests.  Do I think this is the case, no but obviously you do.  You don't like that, then don't support the product.  

Point #12 - JR stated, multiple times, that the team needed major surgery and that it was his preference that it be done by way of trading for younger assets, not by acquiring picks that would take 4-5 years to develop.  So that misunderstanding is on you, not JR.

Point #14 - I support your decision to cancel your season tickets as its obvious you are unhappy with the product.  Spend that money on something that brings you joy and happiness as it's obvious you need some.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

14 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

No. I've been following for all 52 seasons. I'm tired of being content with just making the playoffs. I want the team to be a true contender once again. IMO, you don't get there by trading away draft picks just to make yourself a playoff  bubble team....

Anyway. This is getting redundant. I've made several posts about why I don't like this deal and why I want a rebuild. I can't explain myself any more clearly and if some folks still can't see why, then I can't help you.

I honestly hope that I'm wrong and all of you who like this trade are right.....but I don't think that's the case.

From 2003-2012… were those teams content with just making the playoffs? Or were we considered a contender for most of those years? We had the WCE who dominated, the Sedins evolving which was a smooth transition into the Sedin era where we were one of the best teams for several years. Both of those era’s were capable of winning a cup. You’ve been fortunate enough to watch 52 years of hockey and never really seen a true painful rebuild like many other hockey markets have gone through and are still currently going through.

If you and many other fans are asking for a rebuild, you havent been paying much attention. It may not have been a loud obnoxious full tear down rebuild like Buffalo or other teams like that. But we did spend several years rebuilding.

Demko

Boeser

Pettersson

Hughes

Podkolzin

JT Miller  (traded a 1st for a guaranteed young impact player)

We have been very close to making playoffs and some of that has been out of our control (COVID and injuries as well as learning) but once we can control what we do after gaining enough experience to be true pro’s, we will begin to take over. We have seen the potential with this team as recently as last year. The potential is all there, we ARE capable of it. We just need to put it all together and make it stick. Pettersson learned a valuable lesson last season, he took the off-season pretty easy, showed up last minute to camp kinda thing and didnt put in the work…. He had an absolutely horrendous first half of the season. This year, he was in town most of the summer and put in the work and look at the kid, he is one of the best players in the league. Top 10 in scoring and top 5 in 5v5 pts, was tied with McDavid 3 days ago.

Adding a guy like Hronek is something we needed and couldnt really sit around and wait to draft a top 4 RHD and go through the years of growing pains and development. Right now Hronek is 25, fits with the core age of this team, meaning we will be young and getting better for several years, meanwhile many other teams around the league are going to be trending downward and quickly.

While this core is about to enter their prime and playing their best hockey, its going to put up a wall and make it very difficult for our draft picks to make the team. Which means they will benefit from years of focusing on development, which is the key to success, developing your picks into NHLers.

The chances of that 1st round pick becoming an NHLer is probably less than 25% and the 2nd is significantly lower. Meanwhile Hronek, much like Miller was, is an impact NHL player without a doubt and is young and an organizational need. Whos to say that with either of those picks we would find a top 4 RHD at that draft position?

This season is lost, lets sit back and let it play out. We just added a bunch of youth to the system, we have our coach for the foreseeable future and he is implementing his systems now, in a losing season, so there is no confusion or unfamiliarity next season. We are coming out of the gates next season ready to go.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I'm off the "rebuild" mindset as it's clear as day it will never ever happen under Franky. 

I HOPE we can find a strong defensive LHD along with hronek and signing livingstone for our right side. The potential of our top 4 would would be light-years better than what we roll with now or really anything we have in the last 10 years

But isnt a "rebuild" what they've done, starting with Petey?

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

It allows for there to be two pairings with a quality offensive dman paired with a more defensive minded one. 

OEL - Hughes

??? - Hronek

Wolanin - Bear 

Just need to trade Myers and fill that hole with a  off-season signing or TDL/Draft trade. 

Hronek is a good pickup. 

We actually need Four (4) more defensemen.    Our entire defensive corp - except QH's - is "THE WORST IN THE NHL"   Stats back that up.

• elephant 1

would love to listen to more commentary on Hronek himself as an actual player.  Many of the Van. media I've listened to so far are just complaining about the trading of picks.... do your job and give us some insights on Hronek and if you think he can pan out into an elite defenseman!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Who knows, if Beau continues his good play, he may bring back a 1st on his own, and then the Horvat +2nd would have brought back a 1st + a top 4 rhd + a C prospect...

To start with most folks would have snapped this up in a second.

Yes and then we can quickly trade that pick and others in an overpayment  for another guy that might help win us nothing. 
and still have no depth. 

I keep waiting for this team to hit bottom but they keep magically  some how find a way to go deeper.

• Cheers 1

I did not want to knee jerk reaction post yesterday so I took a bit of time to process it. 

Two picks in the top 40 in this draft (2023 is an excellent draft) is an overpay. I get that Hronek is a good right shot D - something the Canucks are sorely lacking. The lack of draft picks is a concern given that the prospect pool is shallow. There is so little to look forward to, I just hope we end up with a prospect coming out of nowhere. 

Cap space is still a mess. Myers is not tradeable without retention. OEL is not tradeable without strapping a first to him. Boeser seems to be unwanted given his contract. Miller's extension is about to kick in. Beauvillier, Hronek and of course Pettersson are all up at the end of next season (fortunately Myers does come off the books then). There is no easy path to fixing this mess other than patience and management just went out and added 8 plus million (Hronek and Beauvillier) - in essence they kicked the Horvat contract issue down the field by a year.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the need for a good right shot D. I get you have to give to get. But this one hurts. There was a little bit of hope that with some smart drafting this June the Canucks could see a path forward. But instead they have their own first (wonder if they trade that too) and nothing more. I get there are no guarantees with picks or prospects, it just feels to me like the Canucks are going to waste Pettersson and Hughes by trying to not waste Pettersson and Hughes. 

This fan is very disappointed with this trade. Similar to the trades for Miller (not ready for a player like Miller at the time) and OEL/Garland, this trade just has the "wasted" feel to it. Time will tell how it works out but I am not optimistic. Personally I think the Canucks go nowhere until a true rebuild is done and given managements desire to retool this (again) they have just committed to 5 seasons of mediocrity. Hopefully after that the next management will embrace a rebuild. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, combover said:

Yes and then we can quickly trade that pick and others in an overpayment  for another guy that might help win us nothing. 
and still have no depth. 

I keep waiting for this team to hit bottom but they keep magically  some how find a way to go deeper.

To be fair amigo, if we really wanted to do so, we should either trade Petey and QH, or sit them... we are never really going to hit rock bottom withy these 2 players.

Now if either Petey doesn't sign an extension or wide are still standing pat in about 3 years, we should sell the lot, and get to the bottom of the league.

I was more referring to the fact, that we actually got a great haul for Bo....

Whether they trade the pick or not will not change that.... a bit like the Miller trade. It was a great trade, but the timing was wrong.

Only time will tell if the timing is wrong again this time...

• Upvote 2