The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

And this overlooked prospect pool has a ton of 'ifs' and is considered one of the worst in the league. We could've added two more high-end prospects into our system to help continue building for the long-term future, but we mortgaged those picks for the short-term.

We would lose Hughes and Petey in that process Jester,    Hughes even elaborated that today,   He said “ We don’t want to be here for a rebuild” .

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's what they're doing is it not?  They didn't trade away their pick, they traded the isles pick which will likely be 16-18 and 3-5 years away.

All these teams amassing draft picks that get held as some kind of example, still suck balls if you didn't notice and will for a long, long time to come, if they ever get out of the bottom at all.

Not next year it isn't

And 3 to 5 years down the line they will need those players to step up IF it takes that long. Seems the good picks step in within a year and make a dent within two.

Which teams?

• There it is 1

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I know people hate OEL, but I see no reason why he wouldn't fit with Hronek. And there's no reason Hronek can't fit with Hughes either. As much as I like Bear, he's a 3rd pair guy. We just need another top 4 RHD to either play with OEL or Hughes. Whichever doesn't play as well with Hronek. But first and foremost is finding homes for Garland and Boeser. ASAP. Not one or the other, both gotta go.

The only value in OEL is if he's on the IR then he generates cap space.

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Honestly what do you expect him to say? "Yeah it's totally fine being trash for 3-4 years as long as I get paid". He'd get ripped to shreds.

But he sighed here long term so I guess he is OK with being on rubbish team for awhile.

Every athlete I ever heard speak say "nothing kills your enjoyment or ages you quicker than losing." I don't think fans realize how much it sucks losing and losing for years and years. Quinn Hughes by the end of this contract will have been in the NHL roughly 9 years. Do you really think he wants to "respect the process" for over a decade? What kind of player do we expect Miller to be in 5 years, how about 4 years?

I get why people are mad, I truly do. I been preaching rebuild for a while just like everyone else. But lets be real, Hughes and Petey are not just gonna sit by and brush off losing because they make money. They can make money anywhere. May as well win while you do it. Hughes is a point per game guy, and he's looking at the standings and I can only imagine how demoralizing it must feel. I play sports and competitive games. Nothing feels worse than popping off but you still lose. Makes your effort feel meaningless. Now magnify that by 10 for professional athletes.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Cut corners how?  That's such bullsh!t.  They just got Detroit's top dman this year for two draft picks that probably won't play in the NHL for 4 years, if they ever do.  

The goal isnt to win at getting draft picks ffs

Only in Vancouver where people scream for the addition of a top four right handed defenseman would you get complete chaos, anger and bewilderment that the team acquires a very good top four right handed dman as you noted the Wings top dmanand now its so awful lol.

I honestly don't know how people take Vancouver seriously.

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

We would lose Hughes and Petey in that process Jester,    Hughes even elaborated that today,   He said “ We don’t want to be here for a rebuild” .

I don't see using those two picks as signaling a rebuild. More of a step-back re-tool this year and next. It is what it is. I accept they're decision to take short cuts for the short term, and I'm pumped to see how Hronek performs. I just don't agree with it. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Cut corners how?  That's such bullsh!t.  They just got Detroit's top dman this year for two draft picks that probably won't play in the NHL for 4 years, if they ever do.  

The goal isnt to win at getting draft picks ffs

And we just traded away our captain because the team painted itself into a corner due to being in cap purgatory. More sideways for less draft picks. A bottom feeding team in cap purgatory. 

Stevey Y has a better team than us and he has traded two high, or potentially high cost players and now has a boatload of picks coming up. And he just signed his best player. 

8 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I saw that. That being said I'm not convinced Hughes will be here for the remainder of his career anyway. 

9 minutes ago, ronthecivil said:

Petey and Hughes will be just as screwed as every other good player we have had because we have never had good depth and development

This part holds so true. We are in the situation we are in almost entirely based on this deficiency. 

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

I don't see using those two picks as signaling a rebuild. More of a step-back re-tool this year and next. It is what it is. I accept they're decision to take short cuts for the short term, and I'm pumped to see how Hronek performs. I just don't agree with it. 

My guess on what's happening is we're on a path of trying to save what we have at this point. Perhaps it will work. Perhaps it won't. We can't say for sure what's going to happen.

I agree with other people though that, if we're truly thinking about a rebuild, we can't expect any player to stay. Quinn's words even make me wonder if the players are even at the point where a retool as you say won't cut it anymore. It's certainly possible.

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Hughes just said today nobody wants to stick around for a rebuild.  

Not that he’d have much of a choice, but still.

This says everything....

Rebuild.... bye bye Petey and maybe QH etc.

• Cheers 2

Took some time to digest this. 

The take "Canucks are a bottom 5 team, why are they trading picks??" isn't accurate in my opinion. 

The other bottom feeders don't have what the Canucks have in Petey, Hughes and Demko. They may have 2 of 3 key positions but not 3 of 3. This team underperformed in a major way due to:

A. Construction of the D

B. Demko going down - which previously covered up A

C. Team chemistry and structure - Boudreau has never been known for his D structure

Keeping our top pick and dealing the Islanders pick to address the teams biggest need a young reliable RHD, will make this team better next year and help address A. Demko back and hopefully healthy addresses B. and C has been addressed (hopefully) with the new Coaching regime. 

Canucks still need to rework team Chemistry, but thats an offseason move. The draft pick will be a good one and could step in right away filling a C hole. 

I want the Canucks to start winning and be competitive. So a trade for Hronek is ok with me. I like the lottery magic beans of draft picks, it's fun for us fans, but i'd prefer a team that can legitimately play competitive hockey. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Kinda seems like it to me. 
you guys are getting 50% of your cake right now, but you refuse to even acknowledge that. You want a full rebuild? Well the team is effectively being dismantled right before your eyes, with some requisite pieces coming in to mitigate and potentially greatly improve upon departures. 

We are finally seeing the plan actioned, but because you can only vilify what has been done up to the present, you focus solely on that without providing any benefit of the doubt towards what other moves are in the cards that could benefit this club. You look at the present as though it’s finite when it’s fluid. The reason you ignore what has been communicated by mgmt, by the players, is because you’re not a fan of this team in it’s organic state, you’re more a fan of what your circle jerk fantasy ego trip deems it should be, and instead refuse to contemplate that you are potentially

receiving some of the rebuild that you want, only it’s accelerated because we are realistically further ahead than you want us to be. 

none of the above even accounts for the gross disrespect shown in that we have developed a franchise tag player, arguably two, who has become dominant enough that he has displaced the captain in terms of leadership. The emergence of that, the asset that he has become, you folks want to take that, mine it for pieces, HOPING out of those pieces you find a fraction of the player EP is and will be.
It’s f**king bonkers.

It’s a crapshoot and roll of the dice and you folks would rather put more weight into that than you would faith in the potential of these two superstars and what could be built around them.

you fail to even see the forest for the trees.

and yet you propose rebuild. 

Oh wow. Well while we’re putting words in each others mouths based on strawmans, why do you think the OEL and Gudbranson deals were so amazing? They seem pretty bad in hindsight but if you insist they were great trades I don’t think any amount of convincing will change your view.

9 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Every athlete I ever heard speak say "nothing kills your enjoyment or ages you quicker than losing." I don't think fans realize how much it sucks losing and losing for years and years. Quinn Hughes by the end of this contract will have been in the NHL roughly 9 years. Do you really think he wants to "respect the process" for over a decade? What kind of player do we expect Miller to be in 5 years, how about 4 years?

I get why people are mad, I truly do. I been preaching rebuild for a while just like everyone else. But lets be real, Hughes and Petey are not just gonna sit by and brush off losing because they make money. They can make money anywhere. May as well win while you do it. Hughes is a point per game guy, and he's looking at the standings and I can only imagine how demoralizing it must feel. I play sports and competitive games. Nothing feels worse than popping off but you still lose. Makes your effort feel meaningless. Now magnify that by 10 for professional athletes.

Your right. But not investing in the future is kind of foolish when your present is terrible. They might not like loosing but they are part and parcel of the stale core that is surrounded by AHLers. I don't think there is a path that will make them happy in the short term. It's the same problem they have always had. Always looking for the miracle trade that makes the team an instant contender. It's never worked and it likely never will. Especially when your in salary cap purgator.

5 minutes ago, ronthecivil said:

And we just traded away our captain because the team painted itself into a corner due to being in cap purgatory. More sideways for less draft picks. A bottom feeding team in cap purgatory. 

Stevey Y has a better team than us and he has traded two high, or potentially high cost players and now has a boatload of picks coming up. And he just signed his best player. 

Captain Fly By painted his own box .

We are still in a position to trade up for Bedard regardless..  We should be close enough to the first overall,  and have assets and other picks in the following years to ante up with.

Would be a shame to see Bedard go to a team like Phoenix,  that would sting the kid.

Worse than McD going to Edm.

13 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Good points but juxtapose that with Bo Horvat. He was here for 8 full years and made the playoffs twice and if his number was met was probably happy to sign here long term and we appear to be going nowhere. Then he gets traded to a middling team and signs long term. He's seems OK with having his enjoyment killed and aging prematurely.

• Cheers 1