The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

46 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

So the Canucks shouldn’t take a shot with an established 25 year old offensive capable RHD, that’s in the timeline of Petey, Hughes, Demko, Kuzmenko, Mikhalaev, Hronek, Podkolzin and then some? 

While having the Nucks 1st Round pick which could fetch another great asset possibly able to be inserted into the lineup full time within 2-3 years, while the rest of those players mentioned are still in their prime and capable? 

We should strip it all down instead or just draft a mid 1st rounder now?  

And signing aging players has worked out so well for the Canucks.   You know what the definition of insanity is?  Doing the same thing over and over for over a decade and every year expecting a different result.   But it’s a mute point anyway.  Petey and Hughes don’t want to be part of a rebuild. 

2 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

To the people still freaking out about the trade...

Petey has already indicated that he wants to play for a winner. He most likely doesn't want to waste his prime playing for a losing team that is tearing everything down.

Hughes earlier today echoed those comments.

We have our franchise players in both those guys. One is only 23. One is 24. Both late birthdays. 

With this trade, Management has shown they want to go forward with those two guys to retool around instead of starting from scratch which would take, who knows how long, to build a title contender? Another 10+ years? 

If anything, the Benning regime/ownership should've triggered a rebuild 7-8 years ago when the sedins were in their late 30's (but "it wouldn't be fair to the sedins blah blah", it didn't happen)

Management has also already indicated we will be retooling not rebuilding. Should not be a surprise. 

And since we suck a*s this year, our 1st will likely be a lottery pick (let's go team tank!). 

So.... from a point of optimism: 

we add a very good, young two-way RHD (finally) and still have a potential franchise quality piece we can draft this year?

mind you, if we land a top 5 or even top 7 pick in this year's draft especially, that prospect might be ready sooner than later to contribute to the team. 

latest, maybe two years tops? similar to Quinn and Petey's transition?

By that time, Hronek will be 27 (start of his prime), Petey will only be 26, and Hughes will be 25. Demko.. if he sticks around and regains his form will be 29 which is prime time for goalies Add our top draft pick from this year to that roster?

that excites me a lot. 

we could also further accumulate draft picks down the line through trades too. 

the trade is already finished. no point in dwelling on it and the outlook isn't actually all that bad.

Hronek will need a new contrac5 in one year. He’s a 7+ per guy. How do we afford him? 

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Really, line up all the teams that have been tanking so hard and tell me which one is willing to trade down. 
And we have depleted that type of capital for that sort of move, not added to it. 

Nobody will trade down in this draft....not unless they're outside of the top 10.....

10 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yeah I've feel like I've had to remind people that they don't have to like the trade in order to like the player we got out of the deal. There comes a point where I wonder if people exist on this forum just to complain about everything.

We have 2 elite players that'll fetch the high draft picks/trades that tankers seem to want.

Management/Owners have little choice but to try find supporting talent for these two before they decide to walk.

It's where we're at now because of past mistakes, not where we dream to be.

Alvin's done well this week, we have some quality players on their way.

We'd look even worse than today's 'Yotes roster, if we'd gone full-out collecting picks.

Were it possible, would any of our tank-supporters swap our full roster for Arizona's?

Just now, Alflives said:

Hronek will need a new contrac5 in one year. He’s a 7+ per guy. How do we afford him? 

i'd like to think management was already aware of that scenario before offloading the price we paid. 

if we somehow can't afford him and he walks or just becomes a waste of a player for this team, then i'll call out and blast management. 

if we make transactions from here on out that could somehow get rid of our bad contracts/players we don't need to make room,  then i don't think the outcome will be as awful as everyone is making it out to be.

as with everything, time will tell.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

i'd like to think management was already aware of that scenario before offloading the price we paid. 

if we somehow can't afford him and he walks or just becomes a waste of a player for this team, then i'll call out and blast management. 

if we make transactions from here on out that could somehow get rid of our bad contracts/players we don't need to make room,  then i don't think the outcome will be as awful as everyone is making it out to be.

We're all good. Myers off the books will help. Plus you get the feeling this management group doesn't plan on spending to the cap like Benning did. Clear they plan on always leaving themselves some wiggle room. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Sounds like, from what other posters are saying, that Myers cap is cleared by the time we need to extend Hronek, and that’s where the cap allocation comes from. Makes good sense. Myers is our highest paid rhd. Hronek, who is 7 years younger and a much better player, will get that cap. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

in which case, they'll flip him at the next tdl and, at least, getting something good back.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Everyone keeps saying well we don't have time to wait we needed a player now it fits our age group. That we can't wait three or four years for development.

Except, we have been doing this exact same thing since 2009 and where are we? Spent to the cap, no prospects, no depth, and we have missed the playoffs eight out of 10 years and one of those years, was a bubble year.

We need to stop saying this stuff because it's this mindset that is put us in this position for a decade

I wonder what the sentiment would be if before this deal was made a rumour circulated that the Canucks were in on a former Calder winning RHD with good size and offensive ability....the only caveat being that he was 29....

From what I'm reading, it sounds like it would be a popular move, especially considering it would cost b=nothing in the way of draft picks or players....just cash....

That player would be Tyler Myers....

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I had a dream that we moved up to 3 in the lottery draw. We then traded that pick to ARZ (who got 1st) in a massive deal that completely mortgaged our entire forseeable future (next 5 unprotected 1st round picks + our recent early round draft picks in Lekkerimaki and EP +) and used that to draft Bedard. 

Us landing him would alter time and space for this franchise and a karmic reward for the last 53 years 

Until he got a career ending injury in his first week of playing.  That sounds about right for Vancouvers luck

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Since the Hronek Trade I’ve been trying to see the positive, like you’re doing.

So we have this lineup for next year?

Demko

Hughes Bear

OEL Hronek

Dermott Myers

Kuz, Petey, Beau

Myk, Miller, Boes

Podz, Kravtsov, Garland 

Joshua, Lazar, Hogs

Might make moves like signing Livingston and McDonough?

Young guys from the farm taking a spot?

Buyout OEL?

Trade Myers? 

Honestly I think Wolanin is better than OEL at this point.  And former 1st rounder Filip Johansson is the Canucks best rhd is having a really good year in the SHL. I think he’ll make the team next year.  And Attu will be the 3rd centre playing with Kavtsov and Hoglander for a very interesting 3rd line.   Buyout for OEL for sure.  Myers has one year left 

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

13 minutes ago, rekker said:

I will still never eat a Lays chip.

Doritos jalapeno & cheddar, flaming hot cool ranch my go to doritos.

A lot of Miss Vickie's flavor especially sour cream and caramelized onions. They use to have a honey and roasted garlic flavor that was incredible. Dutch crunch sea salt and malt vinegar is better than Miss Vickies Salt & Vinegar. 

Arriba zesty taco tortilla chips are good. 

Hard Bite chips are pretty good too. Sweet ghost pepper or Greek yogurt and wild onion. 

Or Ruffles all-dressed, sour cream & bacon or flaming hot bbq. All good with dip.

La Cocina tortilla chips are the best plain tortilla chips I have ever had. Good for nachos or spinach dip. 

I hate being on a diet. 

5 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

We're all good. Myers off the books will help. Plus you get the feeling this management group doesn't plan on spending to the cap like Benning did. Clear they plan on always leaving themselves some wiggle room. 

exactly! so it isn't as bad as people think.

benning left this team in a literal mess personnel wise and cap wise.

it's definitely not easy to try and fix. 

we'll see what happens for this team.

i for one am pretty optimistic.

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Doritos jalapeno & cheddar, flaming hot cool ranch my go to doritos.

A lot of Miss Vickie's flavor especially sour cream and caramelized onions. They use to have a honey and roasted garlic flavor that was incredible. Dutch crunch sea salt and malt vinegar is better than Miss Vickies Salt & Vinegar. 

Arriba zesty taco tortilla chips are good. 

Hard Bite chips are pretty good too. Sweet ghost pepper or Greek yogurt and wild onion. 

Or Ruffles all-dressed, sour cream & bacon or flaming hot bbq. All good with dip.

La Cocina tortilla chips are the best plain tortilla chips I have ever had. Good for nachos or spinach dip. 

I hate being on a diet. 

Try Covered Bridge. Real good chips.