The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

Is not like we are fighting for the playoffs so why can't we make this kind of trade during the off season and keep the picks since it's a deep draft? This is something I am curious to know what management is thinking? Are we trying to tank or trying to make a run for the playoffs here? I am confused what management is trying to accomplish here by making this trade!!!

Not sure about this.

Good offensive defenseman... but I thought we already had one of those in Hughes?

Not a big D.... in fact not much meat on his 6 ft frame.

No question he is a decent player... but the cost is really high... especially in this Draft year.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Which forwards, that are good enough to fetch a young RHD (without picks)do you want to trade?

Miller, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Beauvillier, Garland, Raty, Lekkerimaki, and McDonough. 

Im not arguing the value or how good Hronek is. I’m mad at the timing of this trade. This is the move a playoff team makes not a 27th ranked team. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, RolexSub said:

Is not like we are fighting for the playoffs so why can't we make this kind of trade during the off season and keep the picks since it's a deep draft? This is something I am curious to know what management is thinking? Are we trying to tank or trying to make a run for the playoffs here? I am confused what management is trying to accomplish here by making this trade!!!

Trade them at the draft, depending where the isles end up.  They would be more valuable then

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DSVII said:

This is basically the Gudbranson trade in structure. A mid-low 1st, and a high 2nd for a RHD. Although in this case, it is a better bet than Gudbranson. 

Ceiling is Hronek can be the best D Partner Hughes has ever had, and I am counting Tanev. 

On the other hand, this is a timing thing....why not wait till the draft to see how much draft capital you have with the Isles pick and having Detroit be in a tighter squeeze for Larkin.

Gudbranson has waaay higher draft pedigree.

Because we half assed the rebuild the first time , we are stuck building around Petey and Hughs. So I don't oppose the move. But wish we tanked in 2015

1 hour ago, Steven Stamkos said:

You expect us to compete next year or the year after? How many teams go from a bottom 5 finish to cup contenders in a year or two?

Petey and Quinn aren’t getting younger but they’re just starting to enter the prime of their careers. Make this trade when we actually have a team who won’t be competing for a lottery pick.  

Maybe not a cup contender the next two years but it will steer the ship right and in year three with a bunch of other additions, yes.

Think of it as a first step.

bext year playoff, The year after that we’re talking win the pacific.

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

Then we will be right back in this place in 5 or 10 years with diminished assets in Pettey and Hughes. 

They are just spinning their wheels avoiding the inevitable. 

Your concern is valid. Especially since management messed up in the first place by signing Miller and Boeser to extensions.

But also, you really have to think: do you think Petey and Hughes would want to stick around waiting for 18 year olds to develop? How old would they really be by then? If they don't develop in time, you might as well sell Petey and Hughes while their values are sky high right now. 

Just now, MJDDawg said:

Was so excited for the new direction. 

And once again this team pulls the rug from under my feet. 

Yzerman and red wings in a fight for the playoffs but still have an eye on important draft capital.

All for what? To try to get a couple of playoff gates? 

Once again sacrificing the future the now. I’m beyond speechless with this deal. 

Sell the team aquaman. It’s clear you can only hire people who will carry out your greedy short term strategy every year and I’m sick of it.

Well Hronek is probably better than anyone they were going to get from the Islanders first and they desperately need a RD........the timing is what is mind boggling to me.

They could have leveraged those picks at the draft and now they've deflated anyone value their high value players had, namely Miller and Boeser.

Teams can now weaponize cap against Van.

Just now, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Like I said in my post a few pages back.

I'm just as nervous as you guys are, but you'll feel less frustrated if you just accept the fact that rebuilding through the draft was never the plan. 

From management's POV - they don't want to wait for 18 year old prospects to develop while Petey and Hughes push 30 at the end of their prime. 

There is no such thing as rebuilding, unless it is through the draft. 

Actually, in my very firm opinion, there are no perennial contenders who do not have consistently strong drafting to allow them to trade *insert injured player for free first rounder*.

People dont give away nice things for gummy bears and mickey mouse hats. Unless they are stupid. 

Steve Yzerman is far from stupid. Allvin and the chitmonks got fleeced. 

Just now, Oldmanpower said:

Kravstov, Raty, and Hronek ?

I actually have the feeling acquiring Kravstov for cheap, Raty and Bloom is the justification this management group had for trading those picks.

I’m sure according to Allvin that was like acquiring two firsts and a 2nd. :lol:

5 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Your concern is valid. Especially since management messed up in the first place by signing Miller and Boeser to extensions.

But also, you really have to think: do you think Petey and Hughes would want to stick around waiting for 18 year olds to develop? How old would they really be by then? If they don't develop in time, you might as well sell Petey and Hughes while their values are sky high right now. 

I was always on board and advocating selling Petey and Hughes right now to kick us into a hyper drive rebuild. 

Always said the best thing that can happen to this team is Petey demanding a trade out of this tire fire. Hughes would follow soon afterwards wanting to play with his brothers in NJ, though I think that will be inevitable anyways in a year or two unless we make the conference finals somehow. 

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, MystifyNCrucify said:

There is no such thing as rebuilding, unless it is through the draft

Actually, in my very firm opinion, there are no perennial contenders who do not have consistently strong drafting to allow them to trade *insert injured player for free first rounder*.

People dont give away nice things for gummy bears and mickey mouse hats. Unless they are stupid. 

Steve Yzerman is far from stupid. Allvin and the chitmonks got fleeced. 

And that really isn't a thing.  You use high picks to draft your core, which van has done.

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

I was always on board and advocating selling Petey and Hughes right now to kick is into a hyper drive rebuild. 

Always said the best thing that can happen to this team is Petey demanding a trade outnof thos tire fire. Hughes would follow soon afterwards wanting to play with his brothers in NJ, though I think that will be inevitable anyways in a year or two unless we make the conference finals somehow. 

That's a bold idea, but good luck pitching that to Aquilini. We can debate how much ownership has interfered over the past decade, but I would make a huge wager that they'd intervene if that was proposed.

3 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Maybe not a cup contender the next two years but it will steer the ship right and in year three with a bunch of other additions, yes.

Think of it as a first step.

bext year playoff, The year after that we’re talking win the pacific.

Bro I think you are the only one here that is happy about this trade!!! 

Ask yourself, wouldn't it make more sense to conduct this trade during the off season when you have these picks for high depth draft since 2015!!! 

1 minute ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

That's a bold idea, but good luck pitching that to Aquilini. We can debate how much ownership has interfered over the past decade, but I would make a huge wager that they'd intervene if that was proposed.

Ofcourse Aqua is not gonna agree that is why I said Pettey demanding a trade out forcing us into a proper rebuild.