The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

1 minute ago, Ilunga said:

Panarin,Trouba and Fox, the players they traded for made it clear that the Rangers were the team they wanted to be traded to. 

I wish that happened with us.

So?  Doesn't change the fact that they are the example of retool, not rebuild.

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I don’t they will get much besides a late pick, but if they don’t plan on re-signing him they should do it.

So considering the value of Hronek what would Bear yield, likely a 1st ...and I feel he's worth more to us than that. 

• Haha 1

Just now, DrJockitch said:

Hard to really say with all the extras thrown into these deals but there are a number of defenceman traded today for reasonably similar costs that I like better than Hronek. 
Maybe once see him play more and see if he compliments Hughes I may change mind. 
‘Hard to be dissatisfied because this is what expected from the management group. No money off the wing and shortcut trades. 
Hope Livingston wants to come here and helps improve the RHD depth.  
Two high pics and we haven’t even payed our way out of any of the bad contracts yet. The cost of rushing is the system and it just payed heavily with more to come. 

I think the pertinent question here is how many of them were traded to teams with zero chance of making the playoffs?

23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is correct.  There are 6 Dmen that dress for every game.  So, Hughes and Hronek will be on different pairs, with 2 solid defensive Dmen paired with them.  The confusing part for some is that they think that OEL and Bear are going to be part of that top 4.  Bear will be on the 3rd pairing at best where he belongs, or they may ship him out and bring back Schenn for the bottom pairing.  OEL will be bought out in the summer to free up the $7 million in cap space for next year, which also seems confusing to some who think we don't have any cap space now.  Once OEL is bought out we will go hard after Ryan Graves in free agency to partner Hronek.  As for Hughes partner, I haven't figured that one out yet.  I need more time to think...

Hear me out. Arizona just traded for Shea Weber. If we can sweeten the pot, I think we could bring him home. Some guy named Jim mentioned that one to me. 

Bear is staying. He’ll be with Schenn on the 3rd pairing. 

• Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

I keep forgetting about Poolman. Where does he fit into all of this?

Poolman was lights out for like 3 games this year… but seriously, I think he’s LTIR-etired?

he’d actually be a nice bottom pairing RHD if he was healthy and paid about 700 k less.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Apples to oranges. Can't compare what the Canucks and Rangers are capable of in terms of attracting players. 

UFAs and college free agents are lined up outside the Ranger's front office every year. 

I am not comparing, I was stating the fact that those players wanted to go to the Rangers and I wish that players of that calibre wanted to sign with us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

So?  Doesn't change the fact that they are the example of retool, not rebuild.

Makes that retool easier when players of that calibre state the team retooling is the only team they will go to.

Just an absolute terrible trade. 

good player fills big need on roster. 

Paid way too much. And definately not the right timing for this team. 

same as it always is for the last decade. Start moving in the right direction with a few smal steps. 
then take 10 giant leaps backwards. 

more mediocrity and always drafting in the mushy middle and never acquiring (and using) meaningful picks

Just now, Ilunga said:

Makes that retool easier when players of that calibre state the team retooling is the only team they will go to.

No argument here.......I wasnt gauging why they're successful at it, just how they got there.  They re-tooled in a short time period through trades and signings, they didn't "rebuild"

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Just to clarify.

Purchasing Hronek now was like buying bitcoin at its peak and hoping for more.

A lot of people have rightfully questioned why the ever loving hell this deal was made now immediately after Hronek was injured duering the single week of the year where player returns are higher than at any other point in time.  This deal could have been made in July.  September.  December.  Probably costing far less; but this is a conditional first that could very well be a lottery pick next year if NYI missing the playoffs this year and a 2nd round pick that will be as close to a late first as one can get.

This trade has people worried and questioning the why and the when for very good reason.  It's hard not to like Hronek and what he may bring if he is healthy, but it's also hard not to hate the timing or the price.  Yzerman does not get fleeced or make moves on players just because; and rumours abound that he has been looking to offload Hronek for some time; so it makes for a head scratcher for sure.

For myself, I stand by a previous statement about GMs knowing exactly what the Canucks need and how they would leverage that in to a better return; it's hard to say tat this might not be the case right now.

I agree. Like the player don’t understand the timing at all.

It feels alot like Benning where he got the blinders on and was determined to get a player at all costs. Other smart GMs pick up on that and take advantage of it.

Allvin needed to realize he had valuable assets and no pressure to make a move right now. If the Red Wings really wanted to unload Hronek and wanted that 1st they likely would have dropped the price in the summer.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Bure1010 said:

Just an absolute terrible trade. 

good player fills big need on roster. 

Paid way too much. And definately not the right timing for this team. 

same as it always is for the last decade. Start moving in the right direction with a few smal steps. 
then take 10 giant leaps backwards. 

more mediocrity and always drafting in the mushy middle and never acquiring (and using) meaningful picks

How is it paying to much? A player like him could have got them more if other teams had a bidding war.

• Cheers 1