The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

9 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I’m new at this so you can tell me wich RFA RHD with offensive capabilities that have been cheap lately?

I also am new at this.  tell me which offensive D will play PP1 over potential Norris nominee Hughes?

I also would argue that we didn't need an ehrhoff light, we needed a Mitchell.  Again it's ok to like the player it is also questionable as to the timing.  It feels very knee jerk and at a bad time.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Again, same mantra, same this, same that when in fact there are so many differences. So easy for ppl to generalize though because it’s so easy, even when it’s unwarranted.

Last GM had a vision and it didn’t work. It did yield some franchise tag players though. Another mgmt team is attempting to clean up the residue of that previous regime and deserves a clean slate at it. They’ve made some errors and also made some great moves. If you expect perfect execution and instant gratification from where this team actually has been, and is, in reality and can’t understand the direction we are taking that has been vocalized ad nauseum, then you’re just not being realistic of, grounded within or understanding of how delicate it is to try and establish a winning culture from a losing one and how to make it appeal to your top talent.

problem is the fans in your corner want to paint so much with the same

paint brush because it seems to soothe (or willingly inflames) their internal acrimony.  I don’t understand it. As a fan one should find a way to be objective and support rather than constantly shitting on and pissing all over the people behind the jersey, even if you wish it was someone else.

Blind support is still blind.

You can't tell me I'm not a fan because I want the team to win a cup. This move is shortsighted garbage and won't help. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I would argue that we didn’t really need an offensive D. That cap space should have been reserved for a stay at home guy with some bite.

If we can’t unload OEL we’re gonna have three D men making over 7 mil after next season. I don’t think you can build a D core like that.

Totally. But I think we’re gonna see wholesale change on that end, even if it hurts for one season. Hronek is the first piece in what I think will be a real interchangeable top 4 with those lines balanced so try complimentary pairings. 
it’s starting…the changes to the d

corps we’ve been patiently waiting on. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Just to clarify.

Purchasing Hronek now was like buying bitcoin at its peak and hoping for more.

A lot of people have rightfully questioned why the ever loving hell this deal was made now immediately after Hronek was injured duering the single week of the year where player returns are higher than at any other point in time.  This deal could have been made in July.  September.  December.  Probably costing far less; but this is a conditional first that could very well be a lottery pick next year if NYI missing the playoffs this year and a 2nd round pick that will be as close to a late first as one can get.

This trade has people worried and questioning the why and the when for very good reason.  It's hard not to like Hronek and what he may bring if he is healthy, but it's also hard not to hate the timing or the price.  Yzerman does not get fleeced or make moves on players just because; and rumours abound that he has been looking to offload Hronek for some time; so it makes for a head scratcher for sure.

For myself, I stand by a previous statement about GMs knowing exactly what the Canucks need and how they would leverage that in to a better return; it's hard to say tat this might not be the case right now.

This was a hockey trade.  If you ask both GM's, they will tell you that both of them won.  However, it is a trade that cannot be fully analyzed for several years because it involves future picks that cannot be judged on at this time.

At the end of the day, the Canucks looked at the draft and did not see any top end RHD in the first round or even parts of the 2nd round that they liked.  And felt that Hronek was the best one out there that was available at this time.  They probably also felt that they preferred to get a RHD that was already in the NHL and entering his prime versus having to wait 4-5 years on the guy they drafted.  It seems a simple concept but one that some don't seem to understand.

What part of trading a futures pick for a known 25 year old already top 4 RHD in the NHL is confusing to you?  Why do you feel that it is a better idea to use the pick and draft a RHD and wait on that player for 4-5 years and then have him ready to go when Petey and Hughes are 29-30 years old?  Is there an advantage to wait on that pick?  How do we know that pick will even be as good as Hronek?  What if that pick turns out to be like Juolevi, then what?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I still think they're going to hope that he comes in, ups his value and they can flip him next tdl.  AB as well 

I go back to your take that a deal with Carolina is still in the works for Miller.

• There it is 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

So?  Doesn't change the fact that they are the example of retool, not rebuild.

More of a rebuild on the fly which I think they're on record for saying at the time.

From 2017 to 2020 they had

8 1st round picks

4 2nd round picks.

I was more the mindset of rebuild on the fly with our group but more so 2022-2024. I would have kept the core traded some vets, built the prospect pool, clear/wait out cap and ultimately reshape the roster via multiple means. Add a couple top 10 picks. I would have made a Hronek type move more towards the end. The goal would be to have flexibility in improving the roster.

A little late now to do it.

I guess a rebuild on the fly is a variation/mixture of a retool/rebuild. 

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Totally. But I think we’re gonna see wholesale change on that end, even if it hurts for one season. Hronek is the first piece in what I think will be a real interchangeable top 4 with those lines balanced so try complimentary pairings. 
it’s starting…the changes to the d

corps we’ve been patiently waiting on. 

They cannot buyout OEL this year, it's beyond stupid, especially when they aren't going to compete next year anyway.  

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Blind support is still blind.

You can't tell me I'm not a fan because I want the team to win a cup. This move is shortsighted garbage and won't help. 

Our problem on the pp is passes and no rhd.It sure will help.Plus break out passes and getting shot from the right side.Great move if we get more of a defensive D to help.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This was a hockey trade.  If you ask both GM's, they will tell you that both of them won.  However, it is a trade that cannot be fully analyzed for several years because it involves future picks that cannot be judged on at this time.

At the end of the day, the Canucks looked at the draft and did not see any top end RHD in the first round or even parts of the 2nd round that they liked.  And felt that Hronek was the best one out there that was available at this time.  They probably also felt that they preferred to get a RHD that was already in the NHL and entering his prime versus having to wait 4-5 years on the guy they drafted.  It seems a simple concept but one that some don't seem to understand.

What part of trading a futures pick for a known 25 year old already top 4 RHD in the NHL is confusing to you?  Why do you feel that it is a better idea to use the pick and draft a RHD and wait on that player for 4-5 years and then have him ready to go when Petey and Hughes are 29-30 years old?  Is there an advantage to wait on that pick?  How do we know that pick will even be as good as Hronek?  What if that pick turns out to be like Juolevi, then what?

I’m beginning to think you might be AILvin’s burner account. 

• Haha 1