The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Make-Me-Laughs, Saturday March 4, 2023 @ 4PM PST / 7PM EST - Bottom Feeder vs a Powerhouse. Place ... Da Garage

Rate this topic

Roberts

• Rocket-68 changed the title to [GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Make-Me-Laughs, Saturday March 4, 2023 @7PM PST - Bottom Feeder vs a Powerhouse. Place ... Da Garage
  • Roberts changed the title to [GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Toronto Maple Leafs | March 4th, 2023 | 4:00 PM Pacific, Sportsnet
  • Rocket-68 changed the title to [GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Make-Me-Laughs, Saturday March 4, 2023 @ 4PM PST / 7PM EST - Bottom Feeder vs a Powerhouse. Place ... Da Garage
3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The games at 4:00.

The thread title is wrong…

*&%#$@$!$@$@

I have tickets to Five Alarm Funk anyways ...far more entertaining . 

Edited by Gnarcore
  • There it is 1

Leaf fans are louder tomorrow.

Our voices are all worn out after the draft month.

My memory... Adam's!

My hope... 

Van 4 3 ot winner quinn.

Watch Dangle lose it....  gonna have to watch David Ayres again...

My money...

Tor 5 1 they are rolling but dont we have there number somewhat...

Only tickets I got, better enjoy it.

Nice Original Post cheers, my mom has stories like that from  back in the day of the forum... Richard's, beliaveau...

2 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

A Random Hockey Story

As some of you may already know, I came from the land of Kangaroos and Koala Bears (which are marsupials, not bears). Came to Canada not knowing a word of English and straight to Grade 1 aged 4 years and 11 months old. My earliest memories were Halloween and snow, both on the same day for the very first time in my life. What fun we had the the next day, I learned what a snowball fight was - grades 1 though 5 against the "big kids", the grade 6-ers. 

One day our teacher took the entire class outside to help the fire department. At the very end of the field, there was a sandy area enclosed by short walls about waist high, I was 6 the time so about 2'. This was the outdoor hockey rink. I didn't know what hockey really was but knew it was a game big people played on TV. Our teacher lined up up at one end and ran us ragged back and forth. What fun! We were outside skipping class. What I didn't know was that were were building an skating rink and the first step was packing down the snow. The fire department was across the street and out came the fire truck with the fire fighters who set up their hose and started spraying down the area. Viola, we had a skating rink! Every year in elementary at that school, we all looked forward to helping "build the rink" and hoped we would be the lucky ones to be outside packing down the snow. 

My mom bought me second hand skates and every night after school, kids and people around the area would be at the rink skating and playing hockey. Weekends, we were there pretty much all day, me and all my friends lived within a 5 minute walk of the school / rink. I started out skating on my ankles but soon was able to skate properly. Taped up hockey sticks, a puck, old pairs of shoes for goals. What more did we need. I still remember the crisp, biting air of the -20oC moonlit nights, running across the street to sit in the library for a few minutes to warm up and then back out on the ice. 

Our uniforms were jeans, coats, ear muffs, skirts (girls played to) as we checked each other over the boards and into the snow banks. Our games would go on for hours and hours until parents would come by and scream at us to get home. Teams were 5, 6, 8, or so aside depending on how many showed up at that particular time. Everyone pretended to be their favorite player. I didn't yet know much about hockey so didn't have a favorite but I was playing!

One night, during a game of shinny on a Sunday night, I found myself on a break away with with everyone going the other way - I scored. I turned around and saw everyone at the other end of the rink jumping up and down. There were some grownups that showed up, no yelling. I skated over and one of them with golden hair was shaking hands with the kids. I didn't know it then but I was in the presence of greatness. It was Guy Lafleur - I had to be told who he was. Not sure why he was in our little town (it was hockey season and he should have been playing hockey somewhere else, LOL), perhaps he was visiting some friends. He jumped onto the ice in shoes, grabbed a little kid stick and hunched over played for a few minutes. Some of the older kids were going nuts to be playing against him.

The next day I learned what a hockey card was. My friend showed a Montreal Candiens hockey card of Guy and low and behold, it really was him last night. I started buying gum packs, well my mom gave me money to, and eventually got a Guy Lafleur card. I still learned to cheer for the Canucks along with my uncles and dad but secretly was a fan of Guy's.

Oh to be able to go back and relive that time, but alas, time marches on.

Thanks for sharing your story! Your story and about Guy Lafleur is awesome! Guy was one of my favorite hockey players, and I had the opportunity to meet him as well.  I as so starstruck by him, his presence, his overall him. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, brilac said:

Thanks for sharing your story! Your story and about Guy Lafleur is awesome! Guy was one of my favorite hockey players, and I had the opportunity to meet him as well.  I as so starstruck by him, his presence, his overall him. 

I remember his smile most of all from that day. He pretended to try hard but lost the puck, or let it be taken away, to the kids playing against him. It was a great moment. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, brilac said:

Yes a great story.  ‘The Flower’! I was a fan from his draft day. The greatest GM of all time Sammy Pollack snagged Guy away from the Golden Seals? I think. Loved watching Lafleur-Tardiff-Huel just fly up and down the ice. Truly a beautiful thing. I met Reggy Houle in Moscow in ‘74 WHA-Russia series. I told him what a fan I was and asked why did you leave the Habs. He rubbed his fingers together, smiled and said for the money. I didn’t think any less of him. Between Pollock and Bowman it couldn’t have been easy playing for the Canadians.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

I remember his smile most of all from that day. He pretended to try hard but lost the puck, or let it be taken away, to the kids playing against him. It was a great moment. 

I read Guy’s bio. As a kid he got a key to the local arena and would go there and skate for hours by himself. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1