The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Never have we been so goonless

Rate this topic

Slegr

I've posted the following video a million times:

Bruins had Lucic while he was still in prime beast mode (and he was on the ice of at the time of the cheapshot as well!).  Cooke just laughed after laying that headshot & suffered ZERO consequences.  Savard wasn't the same player I don't think after that hit.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

Miller's willing and he has an attitude that is a bit more intimidating than some of our more congenial players. I saw him drag two different guys away from our crease last game.

Burroughs. Joshua's shown a bit of grit.

But yes, I agree. Matters, Goons aren't so much a thing anymore but guys who can play and are big/gritty and can fight. Hard to come by.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Game has changed though, the sort of toughness from the old days into say the 2000's has gradually diminished. The early 2010's was the last hurrah for it imo. This isn't to say it's completely gone but guys like Schenn are throwbacks to a different era of hockey, even Schenn is more a product of having grown up when hockey was more "tough". At pushing 34 him and guys like Gudbranson are a few of the remaining throwback players from that era. 

Reaves is likely the last traditional enforcer, he's pretty useless out there otherwise. Toughness still exists in the game but you've gotta be able to play, and it simply ain't as common as it was. It's why guys like Wilson in Washington are so valuable. 

5 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I almost posted that.

He has a fiesty side for sure...if he fills out more, he could be a bit of an issue.

He always has, who could forget his "death stare", it's just showing up in his game more as time goes on. He's got more of a quiet intensity to him but he also reminds me of Naslund in a number of ways. 

10 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Miller's willing and he has an attitude that is a bit more intimidating than some of our more congenial players. I saw him drag two different guys away from our crease last game.

Burroughs. Joshua's shown a bit of grit.

But yes, I agree. Matters, Goons aren't so much a thing anymore but guys who can play and are big/gritty and can fight. Hard to come by.

Last year Bo-Miller-Podz played on a line. All big boys who dominated the boards. We still have 2 of them. I don’t particularly like Podz as a top 6, yet, but he will be there eventually. I like Aman’s size and physicality. After a year he might blossom. Having a physical team is much more than fisticuffs. That is kinda passé actually. It is about board battle with gusto and a PK that can bail out teammates when they go to far. IMHO the elements are there with add ons coming. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Reaves is likely the last traditional enforcer, he's pretty useless out there otherwise. Toughness still exists in the game but you've gotta be able to play, and it simply ain't as common as it was. It's why guys like Wilson in Washington are so valuable. 

Tom Wilson is still around:

:ph34r:

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I've posted the following video a million times:

Bruins had Lucic while he was still in prime beast mode (and he was on the ice of at the time of the cheapshot as well!).  Cooke just laughed after laying that headshot & suffered ZERO consequences.  Savard wasn't the same player I don't think after that hit.

You do not provide enough context; just enough to make your point; don't you have anything real to do?

2 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

You do not provide enough context; just enough to make your point; don't you have anything real to do?

eh?  Having the toughest goon on the ice didn't stop Cooke from 'doing his thing'.  What is your point?  What's the purpose of having a goon player (who has limited hockey skills)  if it provides little deterence?

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 2

It was once almost impossible to imagine the Canucks being a pushover.  We used to have so many tough guys that we would just send our extras (Ron Stern, Craig Coxe) to Calgary and those leftovers were some of the toughest guys in the league.  Used to have three 30 goal scorers who were absolute destroyers (Smyl, Fraser and Williams) and a 40 goal scorer who took no crap (Rota) to go with the somewhat more peaceful skill players like Gradin and then there were Butcher and Snepsts on the back end to lay down beatings when required.

That lineup didn't win every night, especially in the Smythe division back then, but if you wanted your two points you were going to leave with bruises.  And that lineup did still get to the final once too.

Same deal in 1994.  Odjick, Hunter and Antoski just for thug power and then you had scary guys like Momesso who could score too, Linden who could hit players literally through the glass, Babych the physically strongest player in the NHL and then Diduck and Murzyn clearing the crease as well, and Bure who could send you home for the rest of the playoffs with an elbow.  Even tiny little Ronning was feisty and Courtnall was as good an agitator as Burrows or Linseman.

Even the 2011 lineup looked like animals compared to the last half dozen years.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I don't think I would call it "Goonless" I would say more like "Team Toughness" . It also means way more then fighting too. Team toughness wins you battles in the boards, body checks intimidate the opposition, especially the smaller offensive players. If you are not willing to fight in front of the goalie for possession of the puck, its going to make it awfully difficult for your goalie. 

Team toughness IS a part of the game and is not going to go away, as it is a CONTACT SPORT. Imagine if there was no contact when the playoffs came around? That is one of those things that makes games exciting in the post season. 

3 hours ago, Slegr said:

It’s a tough time for Canucks fans who grew up watching so many toughies on the club. There were times when our team was feared. So many goons over the years. And then that stopped, but at least we had guys who were still tough as nails and could throw them with most toughies. 
Now with Schenn gone, I look at this line-up and sure, there might be some guys who could protect themselves against regular-class toughies. But WHO is the toughest Canuck right now? Who is most likely to win a fight? If a team gets nasty on Hughes or Petey, who is there to put opposition in its place?
This is a priority piece that continually gets pushed aside. I know the game has changed. But look around. Most teams still have real toughies who can play too. We have nobody who can regularly win fights and create intimidation. 
I’m sick of how easy it is to push this team around. We need more toughies!

Did you sleep through the last 5-6 years?  That kind of hockey is long gone now

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Did you sleep through the last 5-6 years?  That kind of hockey is long gone now

I’ve been watching the Canucks get softer each year. They’re being pushed around by the sissy Leafs tonight.

• Wat 1

Milan Lucic comes home for a 1 year 1 million contract. 

Suddenly we have the toughest guy in the league and everybody plays bigger on our team.  

Give him 7 minutes of ice time per night and give more ice time to our other wingers.