The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Anaheim Ducks at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 08, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Wow Miller playing like MVP again, these past few weeks totally to me makes up for months of poor performance. He is electric and sooo fun to watch.

Yeah totally makes up for his poor performance during games that actually matter

• Cheers 2

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Again. It's not about them missing out on the chance to draft Bedard. It's the fact they decide to keep trading picks when they are at the bottom of the league and they don't have a strong farm system. It is not sustainable to keep trading their picks and think they can be a top team long term. I just think they have and are neglecting the long term sustainability of this franchise to win now which has up to this point not worked. I guess keep trying until it works.

If you’re referring to the Islander’s first we got for dumping Bo, then your argument makes no sense. We moved that pick for a 25 year old top pairing right shot D. That’s called building. It’s a smart move. We basically traded Bo for a more important piece. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Again. It's not about them missing out on the chance to draft Bedard. It's the fact they decide to keep trading picks when they are at the bottom of the league and they don't have a strong farm system. It is not sustainable to keep trading their picks and think they can be a top team long term. I just think they have and are neglecting the long term sustainability of this franchise to win now which has up to this point not worked. I guess keep trying until it works.

Would you rather have Filip Hronek or Patrick White? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I won’t agree with you on intentionally losing games, but this right here is bang on.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

If you’re referring to the Islander’s first we got for dumping Bo, then your argument makes no sense. We moved that pick for a 25 year old top pairing right shot D. That’s called building. It’s a smart move. We basically traded Bo for a more important piece. 

We also gave up a second and the last few years we have been giving out seconds like crazy. Please don't pretend that they haven't traded multiple 1st and second rounders. The fewest picks for a team that finished at the bottom as often as this team has. 

Just now, BCNate said:

If Demko gives us solid goaltending (.910ish) and we have a middle of the pack penalty kill, this is going to be a pretty good team next year.  There isnt really too much more to it.

I don’t think that is out of question for Demko.  I think Tochet is the real deal, I reallly like his approach.  Our best players have been insanely good since he came in,  on both end of the ice.  

Yup. We are 6-2-1 in our last nine. Playing the right way, and not cheating the game for offence, makes a difference.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

We also gave up a second and the last few years we have been giving out seconds like crazy. Please don't pretend that they haven't traded multiple 1st and second rounders. The fewest picks for a team that finished at the bottom as often as this team has. 

We now have our key core. Hronek was the final piece. Now we (which is always fluid) build the supporting cast and it’s Cup time! “Don’t worry; be happy”. 

• Vintage 1
  • elephant 1

4 minutes ago, BCNate said:

If Demko gives us solid goaltending (.910ish) and we have a middle of the pack penalty kill, this is going to be a pretty good team next year.  There isnt really too much more to it.

I don’t think that is out of question for Demko.  I think Tochet is the real deal, I reallly like his approach.  Our best players have been insanely good since he came in,  on both end of the ice.  

What happens when a significant injury happens ?

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Maybe the hockey gods will grant the Canucks a lottery win.

1st try….

CA752EE6-A600-4AC1-A86B-7BEDD8184343.jpeg

I did not realize that he was 5'10. If we drafted Bedard, could we have him center a line with Garland and Hogz?

Edited by FaninMex

20 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Lets be realistic.

Canucks just beat Anaheim in OT... bottom feeder.... before that they beat Nashville, not quite a bottom feeder, but without two key offensive players in Forsberg and Johannsen.

Is this a sign of a worldbeater?  Are we on our way to the Cup?

No, we are actually hardly holding our heads above water.

The points are meaningless, and we are grinding our best players into the dirt for them... how beat up does Hughes need to get?  Next step... he gets seriously injured and we are screwed for next season start.  Meanwhile Demko is playing 4 of 5 games on legs which are not in season shape... invitation for another groin injury?... yes.

Tocchet is definitely motivating the team, but he also needs to be cognizant this season is not the goal, its next season.

He should be playing his best conservatively... giving the young guys more ice time and relaxing about the outcome.

And of course there's that little matter of draft position... with Bedard, Fantilli, etc. on the line.

I don't see a lot of logic in the way management and the coach are proceeding.

Hey Bozo players get injured no matter what the minutes they play. 

Just now, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I won’t agree with you on intentionally losing games, but this right here is bang on.

I think the winning at the end just gives me bad vibes of how this team does this every year and the retool is part of it. They have tried and tried and when they made the Hronek deal and it wreaked of speeding up the process. Trading picks every year has hurt this franchise long term. The winning now gives them I am sure that good feeling they have gotten every year. It just hasn't translated to the next year so when people say oh wait until next year its like ya but we said that last year and we hear the players talk every year about starting out strong. It's a combination of things. A eye roll tends to happen until they change the storyline.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The idea that the team simply underachieved this season snd should do better next season would be a lot easier to swallow if we hadn't already seen this movie last year. I'm not ready to have my heart broken again. 

Better coaching. Healthy Demko. Improved roster. We are better, and by a lot. 

• Vintage 1