Canucks Community

Rutherford: Canucks are not in the right 'cycle' to trade high draft picks

Rate this topic

The King of Kings

7 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

People really need to be less fixated on the NYI pick

It wasnt our pick

If he could have traded Bo for a Hronek package directly he would have

The Bo trade was engineered to get us a top-4 RD, but we got a better return by getting the package with the pick and then flipping the pick. 

We traded Bo and a 2nd

For

Hronek, Beauviller, Raty, and a 4th

Thats the trade to evaluate. 

Which is some really tidy business from management. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yes, the NYI 1st is irrelevant, as if it didn't exist.

VAN basically traded Bo to NYI for Beauvillier and Raty. Then VAN traded a 2nd for Hronek and a 4th. Wow, great trade for a young Top 4 RD. :bigblush:

VAN still has 6 picks in the first 4 rounds, including their 1st.  

Yup haha

And we also need to remember that we still have time to recoup picks before this draft

This years UFA pool is pretty bad. I expect PA figured it'll be easier to sell Boeser or Garland after the playoffs, when contracts are up and teams have to start digging around the bargain bin in UFA and find very little. 

Im pretty sure they'll bring back a 2nd round pick before the draft.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

The article is 15 months old so now we can actually see that it was complete BS.
JR hates pics, he is all about now decisions, it is how he has always worked and why FA went looking for him so specifically. 
FA and JR a match made in, well you decide. 

Do people her get confused by PA and JR roles? 
Isn’t it PA deciding what happens with the picks? 

• Vintage 1

18 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't think Guenther is going to amount to a whole lot .......not on his own anyway.  He looked good on the pp with endless feeds from Bedard, but his 5v5 game was meh.

Not saying I would t like him on the Canucks, but I don't see him being a needle mover.

Guenther surprised me.   Didn't think we missed much in the draft.   Know it's vogue to take a lot of stock from the WJ's.    His last couple games he was a boss.   Hard not to notice that. 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Guenther surprised me.   Didn't think we missed much in the draft.   Know it's vogue to take a lot of stock from the WJ's.    His last couple games he was a boss.   Hard not to notice that. 

I don't think he's bad, by any stretch.  He was good on the pp, with vedard feeding him.all tournament, but I found him pretty invisible 5v5.  I think he'll be like Boeser, in that he can be a good complimentary player if paired with a player who can dominate games.  I don't see him being better than Garland though.

• Cheers 1

On 3/9/2023 at 11:28 PM, Metal Face Doom said:

We're not rebuilding.  They've specifically said this.  Keep banging your head though.

Hilarious. Retool/Rebuild.. it's the same absolute donkeypoop that you're buying.

• RoughGame 1

On 3/13/2023 at 10:14 AM, GB5 said:

But it took them almost 14 months to start to do anything so it should be the same.

Why? JR did say he wasn't going to rush into anything and would take his time to assess things. You don't think his initial assesment from arrival could possibly change after taking time to assess the team? Plans are always fluid. Hronek is 25 not 32. He's a whopping one year older than Petey. If Hronek doesn't fit the plan we might as well move Petey and just start over from square one. The odds are that 1st and 2nd moved for him are years away from stepping on NHL ice and becoming what they need to be. How many years of Petey, Hughes, and Demko do you want to waste waiting for magic beans to grow, or *gasp* fail? 

• Like 2