The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Chuck Fletcher out as Flyers GM and President, Daniel Briere to Serve as Interim GM

Rate this topic

This is something fans here aren't going to want to hear, but with Fletcher gone I think we are now the #1 mismanaged team in the league.  Complete and total dysfunction where they have absolutely no idea what should be done.  Philly, out of sheer incompetence, decided to not to sell at the deadline and let all their expiring assets walk away this summer.  True to his reputation, Chuckie burned that franchise to the ground all the way to his last day.  The other deadline fiasco was Vancouver, the only team out of the playoffs (by a large margin, mind you) that was a buyer.  All the other teams had a relatively clear approach (buy, sell or hold) and it made sense.  But the Canucks and Flyers moves made no sense, and yet our management team is still secure?

• Tanks a lot 1

9 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

This is something fans here aren't going to want to hear, but with Fletcher gone I think we are now the #1 mismanaged team in the league.  Complete and total dysfunction where they have absolutely no idea what should be done.  Philly, out of sheer incompetence, decided to not to sell at the deadline and let all their expiring assets walk away this summer.  True to his reputation, Chuckie burned that franchise to the ground all the way to his last day.  The other deadline fiasco was Vancouver, the only team out of the playoffs (by a large margin, mind you) that was a buyer.  All the other teams had a relatively clear approach (buy, sell or hold) and it made sense.  But the Canucks and Flyers moves made no sense, and yet our management team is still secure?

I mean, you can think whatever you want. If we looked at Benning in retrospect, I might even agree with you. I haven't really thought too hard about that though and don't really have the time at the moment to do an analysis to come up with an opinion that's not in a vacuum.

Right now though, it's all going to remain to be seen in my opinion. We don't know the outcome of the moves this trade deadline has brought. If you think you know the outcome, no matter what you think that outcome is, you're just lying to yourself.

Edited by The Lock

12 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Miss Lippy's car is green 

34 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I mean, you can think whatever you want. If we looked at Benning in retrospect, I might even agree with you. I haven't really thought too hard about that though and don't really have the time at the moment to do an analysis to come up with an opinion that's not in a vacuum.

Right now though, it's all going to remain to be seen in my opinion. We don't know the outcome of the moves this trade deadline has brought. If you think you know the outcome, no matter what you think that outcome is, you're just lying to yourself.

You're lying to yourself if you think management hasn't burned away any goodwill that the fans have for this team.  There is no doubt this season has not gone the way they've wanted it to go.  On top of that, the Boudreau fiasco disgraced the image of the team across the league.  You are aware of this team's reputation across the hockey community, right?  Every single fanbase is actually pitying us for putting up with whatever the front office has done this year.  It's embarrassing.

I think most people can accurately predict the outcome of this team, in the same we can predict the outcome of the draft lottery.  We are not drafting top 3.  This team is not going to win the cup.  We might sniff the playoffs and even steal a round with Demko in net.  We can predict these things because we have seen the decisions management have made in these past 16 months.  With some exceptions, most of the decisions have been unpopular with both media and the fans.  Nobody knows the future, but everyone has expectations, and they are not good.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

You're lying to yourself if you think management hasn't burned away any goodwill that the fans have for this team.  There is no doubt this season has not gone the way they've wanted it to go.  On top of that, the Boudreau fiasco disgraced the image of the team across the league.  You are aware of this team's reputation across the hockey community, right?  Every single fanbase is actually pitying us for putting up with whatever the front office has done this year.  It's embarrassing.

I think most people can accurately predict the outcome of this team, in the same we can predict the outcome of the draft lottery.  We are not drafting top 3.  This team is not going to win the cup.  We might sniff the playoffs and even steal a round with Demko in net.  We can predict these things because we have seen the decisions management have made in these past 16 months.  With some exceptions, most of the decisions have been unpopular with both media and the fans.  Nobody knows the future, but everyone has expectations, and they are not good.

Reminds me of the Gillis regime. We went from a very likeable Nonis to a curmudgeonly Gillis. We recently went from a very likeable Benning to a group of not so nice guys. I see these new guys, who aren’t at all likeable, doing what Gillis did. Building us a fabulous team that we fans are very proud of. 

21 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Let me ask you this. What's goodwill in this case? What actually is it? Is it making the right trades? Is it making the right signings? Or is it perhaps just merely getting from point A to point B? Sure, fans are going to have their opinions about what should happen and when their precious ideas don't come to fruition, they complain. But do those fans know how to actually run the business in the end? Would you trust a random CDCer with ideas to steer the ship in the right direction? Do you consider yourself among those potential candidates who could right that ship and, if so, why? What would make you special?

As far as this team's perception goes, apparently I don't know the reputation. Please enlighten me on this and please provide me with at least one link from somewhere outside of Vancouver as I'm not just going to listen to a random fan blabber their mouth off on what they think the outside world thinks. No offense. ;)

You think most people... based on what? What gives you this conclusion? Actually, perhaps the most important question to this is what makes you think most people are you? My guess is that most people don't even care. Most people wouldn't be able to tell you who half the players are on the team. Most Canucks fans aren't even on CDC nor any social media about the Canucks. Think about that. Most people don't spend as much time as we do talking about this stuff. So to say most people think like you do? Give me a break. And then you want to claim they can accurately predict things... they don't care dude. This is your world and your world alone. Some people will agree yes, but you're not most people. I can 100% guarantee that. lol

And I'm not going to defend the Boudreau handling, nor am I going to say they haven't made mistakes. I've even been vocal about being AGAINST the Boudreau handling. But, your take on this just seems a little far fetched at this point when we haven't seen the outcome. Maybe it will happen. Maybe it won't. The most likely scenario, honestly: you'll probably end up right on a couple of things and then very wrong on other things. lol That's how the world works.

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

4 hours ago, The Lock said:

Let me ask you this. What's goodwill in this case? What actually is it? Is it making the right trades? Is it making the right signings? Or is it perhaps just merely getting from point A to point B? Sure, fans are going to have their opinions about what should happen and when their precious ideas don't come to fruition, they complain. But do those fans know how to actually run the business in the end? Would you trust a random CDCer with ideas to steer the ship in the right direction? Do you consider yourself among those potential candidates who could right that ship and, if so, why? What would make you special?

As far as this team's perception goes, apparently I don't know the reputation. Please enlighten me on this and please provide me with at least one link from somewhere outside of Vancouver as I'm not just going to listen to a random fan blabber their mouth off on what they think the outside world thinks. No offense. ;)

You think most people... based on what? What gives you this conclusion? Actually, perhaps the most important question to this is what makes you think most people are you? My guess is that most people don't even care. Most people wouldn't be able to tell you who half the players are on the team. Most Canucks fans aren't even on CDC nor any social media about the Canucks. Think about that. Most people don't spend as much time as we do talking about this stuff. So to say most people think like you do? Give me a break. And then you want to claim they can accurately predict things... they don't care dude. This is your world and your world alone. Some people will agree yes, but you're not most people. I can 100% guarantee that. lol

And I'm not going to defend the Boudreau handling, nor am I going to say they haven't made mistakes. I've even been vocal about being AGAINST the Boudreau handling. But, your take on this just seems a little far fetched at this point when we haven't seen the outcome. Maybe it will happen. Maybe it won't. The most likely scenario, honestly: you'll probably end up right on a couple of things and then very wrong on other things. lol That's how the world works.

There are plenty of hockey channels out there on YouTube, and they are overwhelmingly cynical about the Canucks.  You have Eck (a Rangers fan from Halifax), Johnny Hawkey (Flames), UrinatingTree (Penguins), you have Jesse Pollock (Jets) and the rest of the Bardown team (mostly Leafs except for Luca the Avs fan), and then of course the crew from Spittin' Chiclets.  On top of that, the main hockey subreddit is diverse enough to get a decent first take.  They are all OVERWHELMINGLY embarrassed for Vancouver and how everything has been mismanaged this season.  Our reputation is atrocious across the league, and the Boudreau fiasco did make an impression on players.  None of them have 100% accurate takes on it, because they are human, like you and me.  But the feeling that the Canucks are screwed is universal.  The only place I've found that remains somewhat optimistic about the Canucks is right here on CDC.  It's really not that hard to hear hockey opinions from hockey fans outside Vancouver nowadays.

Everything you're saying here is a bunch of fluffy nonsense.  All of it can be boiled down to statement "How do you know?  Let's just wait and see."  Nobody knows, not even management.  But this is a forum, man.  People who come here (especially on non-game days) are here to talk about the Canucks and try to predict what's gonna happen.  We're all just fans who have no control over team decisions - you don't think we know that?  You don't think any other hockey people on YouTube or even notable figures like Eliotte Friedman know that? 

If everyone here was like you, they'd be living in a vacuum where nothing that's happened in the past matters.  Forget this disaster of a season and the ones before.  Forget Aquilini's reputation.  Forget Rutherford's history with Carolina/Pittsburgh, or even so far with Vancouver.  Forget all of it.  Who knows what'll happen?  Maybe this core will magically wake up and win the cup next year, and maybe they won't.  What a nonsense take.  Why are you even on this forum if you're not interested in trying to predict what'll happen?

P.S.: Get out from that rock you've been living under and face the reality of what outsiders think of us.  

Edited by Bob.Loblaw

From new intern GM Briere:

There's no doubt in my mind that this isn't a quick fix. It's going to take a little while," said Briere.

Fletcher famously said last season that the Flyers needed "an aggressive retool" rather than a rebuild. While Briere said he wasn't afraid to call the next phase of the team a "rebuild," he cautioned that doesn't mean Philadelphia will "have a complete new team" next season.

"We have to be careful. I want to make sure that 'rebuild' doesn't mean fire sale," Briere said. "There's a big difference between the two. So I want to make that clear. We're not going get rid of everybody. We have some good players here, some players that are in certain roles that we're going to keep as well."

Well there it is from Briere. Not afraid to say the word rebuild. We will be the lone franchise that still believes that a retool team is a proper path to building a cup winner. I see the flyers doing what the rangers did and build for the future instead of the aggressive retool. Just like SJ, LA,Nashville, STL, Chi and now Flyers are just examples of teams doing the rebuild opposed to retool on the fly. Let’s see what teams win a cup the quickest with their method of roster construction. None of us have crystal balls but we have watched enough hockey to have some foresight what works and determines what doesn’t. Still not sold on the retool, but let’s see if take 2 will be the winning formula.

I’m happy for Philly fans that they are going to take their time with their roster construction. At certain timelines patience is absolutely required for long term success. I question if this franchise’s FO/Ownership patience matching markets want for a patient rebuild. Just have to watch what the other teams are doing and see the results in the standings the next few seasons to see if it holds true. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

From new intern GM Briere:

There's no doubt in my mind that this isn't a quick fix. It's going to take a little while," said Briere.

Fletcher famously said last season that the Flyers needed "an aggressive retool" rather than a rebuild. While Briere said he wasn't afraid to call the next phase of the team a "rebuild," he cautioned that doesn't mean Philadelphia will "have a complete new team" next season.

"We have to be careful. I want to make sure that 'rebuild' doesn't mean fire sale," Briere said. "There's a big difference between the two. So I want to make that clear. We're not going get rid of everybody. We have some good players here, some players that are in certain roles that we're going to keep as well."

Well there it is from Briere. Not afraid to say the word rebuild. We will be the lone franchise that still believes that a retool team is a proper path to building a cup winner. I see the flyers doing what the rangers did and build for the future instead of the aggressive retool. Just like SJ, LA,Nashville, STL, Chi and now Flyers are just examples of teams doing the rebuild opposed to retool on the fly. Let’s see what teams win a cup the quickest with their method of roster construction. None of us have crystal balls but we have watched enough hockey to have some foresight what works and determines what doesn’t. Still not sold on the retool, but let’s see if take 2 will be the winning formula.

I’m happy for Philly fans that they are going to take their time with their roster construction. At certain timelines patience is absolutely required for long term success. I question if this franchise’s FO/Ownership patience matching markets want for a patient rebuild. Just have to watch what the other teams are doing and see the results in the standings the next few seasons to see if it holds true. 

Philly has a lot of contracts to deal with during this rebuild.  Hayes, Provorov, Ristolainen (who has suddenly become a defensive D-man), are all on bonkers Fletcher deals.  Sanheim just signed for eight years and has struggled under Torts this year.  And then you have the unintentional LTIR crew: Atkinson, Ellis, & Couturier.  Can you believe they actually traded for some of these guys?  Oof.  And they didn't trade away the one guy (JVR) who still had value at the deadline.  Good luck Briere - it'll get harder before it gets better!

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Danny Brière was always a respectable figure off the ice and an absurdly clutch player on the ice.  But now this: 

The apple falls FAR from the tree, unfortunately.  He immediately got kicked off the team.

guy should spend a month in a wheelchair so that he would understand why you don't do sth like this. Spoiled brat.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Danny Brière was always a respectable figure off the ice and an absurdly clutch player on the ice.  But now this: 

The apple falls FAR from the tree, unfortunately.  He immediately got kicked off the team.

Entitled POS. 

How many chances is this kid gonna get?