The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Aidan McDonough to two year contract

Odd.

Low cost depth for free. We need people in Abby and people that can move up and down.

Our young guys like Podz need to be moved down sooner rather than later. It's not because they have sucked (Podz is playing much better and showing good drive for example) but because they need to get their lines put together so that they are in Synch for the playoffs. Also so they can log big minutes.

Keep the old guys up here. I would count him in the middle. Come right in to the big club unless there's some reason that he won't be able to join them in Abby. 

The young guys now know what Tochet wants out of the them. So lets get them back into big minute in Abby.

So this guy will apparently join the team right away, is ineligible to join Abby this season and will have one year left year on an expiring deal next season.

Hearing lots of good things about him. Good skill and hard working guy. 

Excellent Cap hit obviously. 

Edited by grandmaster
  • Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Yes, but you're assessing the trade based on the actual result of the player, which has ended up looking worse and worse with time. However, had Forsling busted (as do many 5th round picks), the assessment would be completely different. Clendenning had been an AHL superstar. Who was to say he'd be a bust?

There was nothing to suggest at the time of the trade that Forsling would end up being Benning's worst trade. Let's be honest here.

Well no sh*t. If things work out differently you have different opinions. Doesn't change the fact I don't like giving up players with high potential for shortcuts that fail more than just developing those players ourselves. We trade Forsling for Clendening. It was a shortcut move and it was ass then it is even more ass now. I also didn't really like giving up Myrenberg. I'd rather see players we draft fail with us rather than trading for someones older already failed player and risk those players succeeding on another team. It makes no sense to me. Myrenberg may fail, I am still not a fan of trading him. DiPietro is whatever, although I also kinda would have preferred keeping him too.

Trading these youngsters for proven commodities is a different animal. Studnicka and Clendening or whatever the F his name was are not proven commodities. They are attempts at shortcutting development. So again, I hated that Forsling trade the moment it was made. This isn't some hindsight goggles thing. I got flamed at the time the trade was made that it was bad.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Well no sh*t. If things work out differently you have different opinions. Doesn't change the fact I don't like giving up players with high potential for shortcuts that fail more than just developing those players ourselves. We trade Forsling for Clendening. It was a shortcut move and it was ass then it is even more ass now. I also didn't really like giving up Myrenberg. I'd rather see players we draft fail with us rather than trading for someones older already failed player and risk those players succeeding on another team. It makes no sense to me. Myrenberg may fail, I am still not a fan of trading him. DiPietro is whatever, although I also kinda would have preferred keeping him too.

Trading these youngsters for proven commodities is a different animal. Studnicka and Clendening or whatever the F his name was are not proven commodities. They are attempts at shortcutting development. So again, I hated that Forsling trade the moment it was made. This isn't some hindsight goggles thing. I got flamed at the time the trade was made that it was bad.

I agree with what you are saying. I wasn't a fan of the trade when it was made either - particularly when I saw Clendening play for the first time and could see his inability to skate well. Trade was bad then, bad now. 

Edited by HomeBrew
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

OEL and Myers wouldn't be missed at all but unfortunately not a single other team wants anything to do with OEL. We're stuck with him for at least another 2 years as a buyout now is just totally dumb. Myers will be smarter to move at the TDL unless we're interested in giving up our 2024 first, which would be incredibly dumb. We have lots of wingers but nobody wants Boeser's or Garland's contracts. We definitely need another center. Those LD's you mentioned all have interesting aspects to them but it's also possible none of them are playing in the NHL next year or beyond. Personally I think only Petterson has a 50/50 chance. Wolanin has been decent but he's had a problem sticking everywhere he's been as his defence eventually lets him down. A lot of hopes here but nothing concrete at all. It will be a very difficult off-season for Allvin and company to get the parts we need to improve the team enough to be in the conversation for playoffs..

It’s always possible that no-one’s prospects play in the NHL, yet it’s a certainty that somebody from somewhere will fill those rolls. That’s the nature of the game - if results were certain there would be no game. You draft as well as you can, develop as best as you can, then see what you have got. It’s a lottery of educated guesses where you are able to polish your bets. That’s why I said that it’s possible that a couple of prospects will rise to the task. If picking players was a science, Tanev, Edler, and Bieksa would have been first round picks - based on perfect hindsight. Personally, I think Kudryavtsev and Pettersson are going to play in Vancouver within three years, and at worst be journeymen - we shall see.

3 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

I agree with what you are saying. I wasn't a fan of the trade when it was made either - particularly when I saw Clendening play for the first time and could see his inability to skate well. Trade was bad then, bad now. 

I don't recall a single person being overly concerned about that deal.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

I said this a long time ago, if anyone thinks this season would be water off the ducks back for Boeser, they are dead wrong. This is the first season without his dad. First game in Minnesota without his dad…His first thanksgiving without his dad, first Christmas, birthday, new years, dads birthday, Easter, Fathers day etc etc…. These are allll the emotional hills he has to climb this year. Ontop of that he’s expected to perform, rumoured to be traded, The team is struggling, his wrist isnt 100%, he’s deep in the dashes…. This kid is going through hell, but hes persevering. Hes puttn up .74ppg. He’s on the verge of surpassing last years totals in fewer games. Hes only 7pts back from the 2020-21 season where he was our MVP. I’m proud of Brock and how he’s handled the last 2 seasons, im proud hes still able to perform and I feel it in my gut, when he breaks free from the emotional trauma and stress of not having his dad around… He is going to come up big and be that guy we need when we need him most.

@HKSR hows this for Boeser “hate”?

• Cheers 1