The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Aidan McDonough to two year contract

Odd.

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He's a big body with a great shot.  His skating is average to above average but has gotten better.  He was a 7th round pick so his game only started to come together the last 3-4 years.  He would have been better off to go pro last year and played a full year in Abby already.

I think he has the ability to be a 3rd liner and be a weapon on the PP.  We have lots of wingers though, so he will most likely play in Abby next year with his BFF Rathbone.  Maybe they can get some chemistry together on the PP.  

Thx. Good background info. Don’t know why but I wasn’t familiar with the draft history. Kept thinking he was a dman fir done strange reason. 
Hit the web last night for some reels. Lots of pp goals from Leon’s spot. No wonder he went back to school. Seems he’s a campus superstar on a pretty good team. Eating a year of the elc to play a few games always seems like a throwaway for me but looking forward to a shiny new toy. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Dries is a pretty decent, underrated forward. I thought he'd be the type where offense goes to die, but that isn't the case. He's demonstrated just how difficult it is to score in this league. The people who score a lot are among the best in the world.

He’s also pretty tough and chippy. I think the team has plans for him. Camp is gonna be huge for this guy. 

Edited by bad alice french
  • Cheers 2

58 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Dries is a pretty decent, underrated forward. I thought he'd be the type where offense goes to die, but that isn't the case. He's demonstrated just how difficult it is to score in this league. The people who score a lot are among the best in the world.

100% he reminds me of Dayle Weiss, sneaky good offense, does the little things well.

21 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Let Boeser go with the 1rd pick

for Pettersen (D) and Pittsburghs 1st rnd pick in 2025 ?

trying to realize when The Penguins go into a rebuild,  which seems likely in 2 years ?

Canucks having 2 first round picks in 2025 might time out better for “after “ this retool ?

just a thought.

They aren't trading OUR first rd pick. They only traded one for Hronek because it was an extra.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Karlsson's a winger. That's how he's been utilized. Don't be fooled by his stats pages.

Abbotsford had the Swedish House Mafia line of Hoglander-Aman-Karlsson who had chemistry together. I reckon that's a line we could see at the NHL level, especially considering all three of those guys are closer than the majority of our prospects.

McDonagh likely in the AHL next year.

The last few games Karlsson has been playing center especially on the pk.  Also, he is better than ok as a scorer.  He is leading all forwards in scoring all in his rookie year in the AHL.  I think he maybe better than some are giving him credit for. B)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I am excited to see how Big Mac does.  I think he is going to thrive next season and if he has a similar start to his NHL career as Brock did as a NCAA player, everyone will be excited about our new signing.

1 hour ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

They aren't trading OUR first rd pick. They only traded one for Hronek because it was an extra.

And ultimately that 1st we traded was not a shortsighted move, it was a longterm solution that came with a guarantee of a young NHL top 4 RHD. That pick has no guarantees, just potential.

Trading 1sts for rentals or guys over the hump or at the peak would go against what JR and PA said. Such as if we were to trade for JT Miller right now at 29, thinking he would solve the problem, that would only cause further damage to the prospect pipeline/future. 
As much as the 1st would be nice, the top 4 RHD is much nicer

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Patrik Allvin:

"Aidan has continued to improve his game each year since being drafted and we are very pleased to have agreed to terms with him today. He has steadily grown into a leadership role with Northeastern throughout his time there and our development team is looking forward to working with him as he starts his pro hockey career."

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

• Odd. changed the title to [Signing] Canucks sign Aidan McDonough to two year contract

Glad to see he's officially signed.

I think many of us were worried he might take off considering how things have turned out with his buddy Rathbone here.

I guess the reality is it is actually pretty rare for college draft picks to abandon their team.  We just take notice of the ones that do, when in reality the majority of the players sign on with the team that drafted them.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh!! The New Aidan #25 Era has begun!!!!!! 

Sooooooooooo much hype (anxiety) over last few months since our infamous hockey Gaud.... 

now, sign up Jake Livingstone ASAP please.... and our retool (rebuild) is off to an exciting start!

• Like 1