The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Dallas Stars at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 14, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

Fans just accept there is very little they can do about it either way...

Getting yourself wound up about this won't make a difference at all.... Just hope it isn't a flash in a pan....again.

The thing that gives me the most hope is Tochett already addressing the clubs off-season.    I hope we keep winning games.   And this time it sticks.   

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We got a number 2, right shot D to anchor our second pairing for the next 5-7 years for that 2023 first. Our young core is clearly ready to compete right now and for the next 5-7 years. Using the islanders’ pick to bring in Hronek to fill in a much needed piece was a very smart move. 

If we are being completely accurate, we have that spot filled for one season.   A lot will depend on his play, and what his next deal looks like. 

For me it's given the club a lot of flexibility.     

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I've gottent hose exact '08 vibes from the team, even at the end of last season. Demko being injured this season just stalled it for 1 season. We'll be good next season.

Same here.   Had it last off season too.  So hope it's not just gas instead of vibes. 

• Cheers 1

Anyone starting to feel like, in the last handful of games, our best players (Petey, Hughes, Demko) have been the best players on either team? 

Having vague flashbacks of how good Pettersson and Hughes were in the bubble playoffs... and thinking about how much better/more experienced they are today.

It's all becoming clear why we can't do a scorched-earth rebuild with these guys on the roster. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

This summer's training camp should be fascinating, and there will be high expectations from the coaches for players to be ready. I can see a guy like Tocchet taking even a preseason game very seriously and expecting wins, a winning mindset heading into the season. Instead of figuring out on the fly what lines to use and letting the players play however they want. 

The Draft is what it is. Canucks will draft a good player not yet ready to play next season (unless some sort of miracle happens). That's fine, they already have quite a few good, young players and some developing. 

I can see them biting the bullet and either trading OEL or buying him out in the off season. Then, they can move forward with building a winner.

2 minutes ago, nergish said:

Anyone starting to feel like, in the last handful of games, our best players (Petey, Hughes, Demko) have been the best players on either team? 

Having vague flashbacks of how good Pettersson and Hughes were in the bubble playoffs... and thinking about how much better/more experienced they are today.

It's all becoming clear why we can't do a scorched-earth rebuild with these guys on the roster. 

The core, sans Bo, is emerging as the leaders. Hughes, Demko, Petey, Miller.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm shocked that Yeo, and King are still on the coaching staff. Yeo I think is part of the problem that the team had no defensive structure because he can't teach defence or coach at all. Maybe they are going to quietly let them go in the offseason, and they just wanted to see where the issues were from the previous regime.

I have a feeling enjoy Foote as an assistant while we can. If he can turn around the Canucks defence, you know there are other rebuilding teams that might want to take a gamble on him as a head coach. Gonchar and Foote are probably the strongest defensive development coaches and assistant coaches we've had in a long while. One of the positives is the Abby farm team is doing a great job in getting players ready for the NHL level. The coaches and staff in Abby are doing a great job. And just maybe we can start having a strong farm system, that gives us important reinforcements for the NHL club.

These are important building blocks to having a strong NHL club.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The team also needs to get Huggybear more help. He's going to get injured or burnt out if they play him 30 minutes a game.

Come on PA snag Livingstone. Even if he's going to spend part of the time in Abby. We need some long term help here.

I dnt see it as a huge problem.  He's such an effortless skater that ge expels less energy than other players playing 18-20 mins

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm shocked that Yeo, and King are still on the coaching staff. Yeo I think is part of the problem that the team had no defensive structure because he can't teach defence or coach at all. Maybe they are going to quietly let them go in the offseason, and they just wanted to see where the issues were from the previous regime.

I have a feeling enjoy Foote as an assistant while we can. If he can turn around the Canucks defence, you know there are other rebuilding teams that might want to take a gamble on him as a head coach. Gonchar and Foote are probably the strongest defensive development coaches and assistant coaches we've had in a long while. One of the positives is the Abby farm team is doing a great job in getting players ready for the NHL level. The coaches and staff in Abby are doing a great job. And just maybe we can start having a strong farm system, that gives us important reinforcements for the NHL club.

These are important building blocks to having a strong NHL club.

King's survived 2 different coaches now and the PP actually looks good. 

Yeo, I'm not sure... 

The coaches need to give this team a very specific off season workout target. 

Literally hand holding them this summer. 

Boeser finally looks like he's back to his peak self. 

17 pts in last 18 games and more importantly, moving his feet. 

His goal should be a point per game player but i believe he will top out as a 70-75 PT player. 

He's starting to make Garland look expendable... 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I dnt see it as a huge problem.  He's such an effortless skater that ge expels less energy than other players playing 18-20 mins

It's going to wear him out though. Both physically and mentally. His conditioning is fine It's just more wear and tear and abuse he is going to take.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, swimsWithDucks said:

Jesus.... when will you people learn? It's the same thing last year and the year before that. We win all the games at seasons end and #$!t the bed when next season starts. 

Its the same pony ride year in and year out and you guys are still complacent on being made an idiot. My God... have some self respect people

47 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The thing that gives me the most hope is Tochett already addressing the clubs off-season.    I hope we keep winning games.   And this time it sticks.   

Supply and demand, man. Selling Hope? Big demand!

In so far as mentioned above by swimsWithDucks; it does fit the pattern in the past few seasons. That being said.......

I'm really digging' the winning streak we're on. Where we fall regarding the lottery odds is in the hands of the hockey gods.

I reserve judgement at this point in time. Our roster isn't 100%. Lotta' farm kids in the line up and our injured semi-core players haven't been a factor; Hronek yet to play a game for us as well.

What management does in the offseason will be telling regarding our performance out of the gate next season. That, in combination with Tocchet's commitment for the offseason training and such; we'll have to wait and see.

Go Canucks Go!

• There it is 1

23 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

redemption sake GIF

I'm 49 ... I think I'm on the dying side :frantic: lol just joking :lol:

You know the saying ... the moment you're born you begin to die.

Seriously though this team has proven exactly zero in my books. We've seen this song and dance before. Namely last year. We'll see next year if they can have a playoff caliber season or not. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Playing with Garland seems to make everyone better, including Miller.

Do you disagree? 
Do you not see a vast impeovement on Millers play? 
I thought Pizzaman and Boeser played with Miller?

Garland is a great support player, but don't see him leading a line. 

As for Beau being great, as I said Petey makes everyone better. 

Edited by spook007
  • There it is 2