The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Jesperi Kotkaniemi as 3C

Basically,

KK fits our age group very well, younger than Hughes.

7 more years on his deal so no worries about re-signing or anything.

Cap hit is high but will age well as cap increase. 4+ million 3Cs will be common place in 3 years. 

very good defensively, active stick good board play and has really filled out last couple years (6’ 200 lbs)

40 point pace this year. Probably reliable 40 point player going forward

if you can send one of Boeser or garland back to even out the cap hit, this should be a no brainer target for vancouver. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • There it is 1

They are having scoring issues, and only Necas and Svechnikov are close to being point/ game wingers.  Jarvis has really cooled off, same as Teravainen and they're trying Puljujarvi on line 1.  Of course, trading Kotkaniemi to us does create a glaring hole at 2C so I don't know if they'd do it for Boeser... but if their GM has a replacement available (say if they don't re-sign Pacioretty or Staal they'd have $13 million available right there) then they could make the move and then sign or trade for another 2C.

I wonder if they would make this trade (we throw in a pick to shore up their wing scoring) and then they could sign say Ryan O'Reilly to be their matchup C behind Aho.

To be fair he's almost a 0.5 PPG player this season and has been a plus player most of his career so respectable value given his contract.

The more I think about it though the more I am included to decline, acquiring a 3C with that term and money reminds me of Brandon Sutter somehow, and we know how that turned out.

The option for this team is develop a 3C within their system.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Raty is going to be our 3C in 2 years.  No need to trade for a guy who's making almost $5 million with 7 years left on his contract...

We're talking about the Vancouver canucks. Not the Abbotsford canucks. 

9 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

Basically,

KK fits our age group very well, younger than Hughes.

7 more years on his deal so no worries about re-signing or anything.

Cap hit is high but will age well as cap increase. 4+ million 3Cs will be common place in 3 years. 

very good defensively, active stick good board play and has really filled out last couple years (6’ 200 lbs)

40 point pace this year. Probably reliable 40 point player going forward

if you can send one of Boeser or garland back to even out the cap hit, this should be a no brainer target for vancouver. 

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

ummm why would the Canes want to do that??

I would suggest Boeser and Garland hold more NHL value then what most here see them as valued, so get that right off the bat and acknowledge that yes either could fetch an NHL return and no you don't buyout either, Garland is not a buyout option, not even a consideration. Crap on Boeser like we heard his caphit and term is far too much for other clubs, no. He has two years at over 6.5m. He averages about 65 games a year, pots close to or around 20 goals and 45 to 50 points, he is not going to require incentive to move.

That being said, Kotkaniemi is a player the Hurricanes are very high on, hence the offer sheet and the long term extension. He is the Hurricanes up and coming top six centre, he's not going to be a third line centre and if any team was going to try and pry him from the Hurricanes it would have happened a couple months before the deadline. The team frankly likes what they have in him, he is young and has cost certainty he will not be getting traded by the Hurricanes if you follow how they operate.

You may have been able to discuss him in a deal around Miller prior but thats the extent of it.

2 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I would suggest Boeser and Garland hold more NHL value then what most here see them as valued, so get that right off the bat and acknowledge that yes either could fetch an NHL return and no you don't buyout either, Garland is not a buyout option, not even a consideration. Crap on Boeser like we heard his caphit and term is far too much for other clubs, no. He has two years at over 6.5m. He averages about 65 games a year, pots close to or around 20 goals and 45 to 50 points, he is not going to require incentive to move.

That being said, Kotkaniemi is a player the Hurricanes are very high on, hence the offer sheet and the long term extension. He is the Hurricanes up and coming top six centre, he's not going to be a third line centre and if any team was going to try and pry him from the Hurricanes it would have happened a couple months before the deadline. The team frankly likes what they have in him, he is young and has cost certainty he will not be getting traded by the Hurricanes if you follow how they operate.

You may have been able to discuss him in a deal around Miller prior but thats the extent of it.

This is well said about Kotkaniemi's role in Carolina.  He is part of their core for years to come.  It's why they offer sheeted him, and why he got paid a tidy sum with term.  They wouldn't risk the team balance by trading him away for some offensive upside.

I was surprised at CARs overall inaction at the deadline and polparty is a useless pick up, almost like they did it just to say they made a move, now with patches and Svechy done for the year, I bet they would like a time machine and re do the TDL.

Point being, they shold be looking for offense this season, a buy low move on garland or boeser would be smart for them, somethin like 3rd for garland, no retention, Im not sure nucks would accept a 3rd for Brock, maybe a 2nd with no retention, or a 1st with 1. 5 million retention, scott morrow to CAR for Brock, 1.66 million in retention? Brcok just got a career high in assists in a "down year"