The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

John Garrett to retire after this season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to take a second to point out just how grateful we should all feel for how absolutely blessed we've been with broadcasting, period.

robson, larscheid, hughson, garrett, shorthouse. most markets aren't lucky enough to get even one of these gems, and in our 50+ year history we've effectively never had to know life without some combination of those guys describing our team to us. 

how lucky are we?

• Cheers 2

On 4/8/2023 at 11:44 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

That's an awfully huge commitment though, considering he has a young family with kids.  He'd have to leave the family behind and reposition himself in Vancouver (or uproot the kids and wife and move the whole family to Vancouver), and then hit the road with the broadcast crew for half the season.

At least with the HNIC gig, he only has to give up Saturdays (and maybe Fridays and Sundays, for travel).

And if he does the SPac regional gig, it's unlikely he'll be able to do the HNIC gig, because he'd have to either patch in remotely (if he's doing the game that night), or find a way to zip in and out of T.O. when he's not doing a game that night.

I doubt he'd want to make that kind of sacrifice with a young family like his.

As much as I'd love Bieksa to take over, you're right. It's more likely a former player that's an empty nester. Kids all grown up and has time on his hands now. 

Absolutely loved listening to Cheech and Shorty all these years - no matter how terrible the on ice product has been it always felt great to hear their voices again at the start of every season. Cheech will be sorely missed and a big set of shoes to fill. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Kevin Bieksa would be the dream replacement, but I suspect Corey Hirsch would move up into the TV broadcast colour analyst role? 

As far as I know Hirsch has moved on to the mental health related work and endeavours. 

Imo he’s not up to the task of TV colour commenting on a regular basis. He seemed to struggle the few times he filled in this season. Pretty tough for him to fill John Garrett’s shoes. 

Was just listening to Jannik Hansen on 650 and he’s a shoe in if he is interested.

Easy to listen to and such great hockey analytical knowledge. 

I doubt Bieksa would give up his current gig despite the company he keeps. 

Edited by Barnstorm
  • Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...