The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

John Garrett to retire after this season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

Maybe it should be Bieksa. I saw his name floated around and the more I think about it, the more I like it.

That was my first thought, but he's got a gig too good to give up I think.

6 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Yeah my guess is maybe he is being forced out. Kind of felt the script he was reading wasn’t even prepared by him.

I don't think so.  He's been on the road forva long, long, long time.  I'm sure he and his family want some stability and time together.  

• Cheers 2

I would be okay with him being added to the ring of honour, or maybe even naming a certain entry gate after him. 

I always enjoyed his content. Never a super homer, told it like it REALLY was, no matter the team. 

Edited by grumpyone

33 minutes ago, cocanuck said:

Very sad to see him go.  Had dinner with him a few times,, as good a guy as there is!   Treats everyone well and makes everybody feel welcome.  Great story teller as well..

A very good point. We're slowly losing (in one form or another) all the great storytellers of the past. 

I love hearing the stories of days gone by and when it was different than it is now. Which is why my favourite reading material is often hockey books that tell those stories.

Garrett was a total homer, like me. But it's ok to wear that badge of pride in honour...especially through the rough times when supporters are few and far between. He never wavered and I respected that. Being PC is over rated at times...it becomes a bit of a sheeple thing in order to fit in and be popular. Hop on and off the bandwagon with success dictating that. Image is everything stuff. He wasn't concerned about that...he was just himself. Humble and honest. And I loved that about him. What you saw was what you got (and heard).

4 minutes ago, Muttley said:

john-garrett-1982-46.jpg       

Definitely Looks all hockey player. He hinted he'd be going forward with something after he stops being the color guy, wonder what?

"Fans will still be able to hear John on select NHL [on] Sportsnet broadcasts throughout the 2023-24 season"

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

End of an era for sure.   Glad Friedman said something.   He cut his teeth in our circuit during the WCE era, and has pretty intimate knowledge/connection to those days (EF).   As for Garret, if there ever was a reason to put a colour commentator in the HHOF,  sure would love to see him get that honour.   Only guy on the planet that i could see filling those shoes is KB.    Make it happen! 

Tom Larscheid would be pretty deserving as well.  At least unlike Tommy, John got to go out on his own terms.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

Rather than lament John’s moving on I feel fortunate to have enjoyed the time we had. It’s been a privilege to share the games with him.

He’s done a good job in his public life and is loved by thousands. Going out on a high note is a luxury many public figures don’t earn or benefit from. John has  earned the adoration and appreciation. 

He’s not getting any younger and I’m happy knowing  he can focus on himself and his  family in the years ahead. He gave so much… time to let him go with a smile. 

Thanks John and all the best to you in the years ahead. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

This actually really blows. You never truly appreciate what you have, til it's gone. These last 8ish years have sucked, but John Garrett was always a staple voice that added some fun and energy to the games. His presence will sorely be missed. I wish him well in retirement though. He's more than earned it. Sounds like he'll still be around in a lesser capacity though. So that's good to hear.

• Like 1