The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

John Garrett to retire after this season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

16 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

John Garrett took over Canucks colour commentary on the heels of Tommy Larschied, two very similar and truly colourful characters who brought life to each and every broadcast..  I really hope that another, similar 'character' can be found to take over Canucks' colour, as opposed to a more a serious, buttoned-down analyst-type.

Maybe it should be Bieksa. I saw his name floated around and the more I think about it, the more I like it.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

Maybe it should be Bieksa. I saw his name floated around and the more I think about it, the more I like it.

I'm all for this. Bieksa is a funny and smart hockey guy, and has a bit of an edge while still being likeable. I don't want to see someone who's too polished and professional - the color guy needs to be a real character.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

John Garrett took over Canucks colour commentary on the heels of Tommy Larschied, two very similar and truly colourful characters who brought life to each and every broadcast..  I really hope that another, similar 'character' can be found to take over Canucks' colour, as opposed to a more a serious, buttoned-down analyst-type.

Was just going to say this. We have been spoiled in this market going from Larscheid straight to Cheech.

Next guy has some big shoes to fill.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Citizen Erased said:

That's actually the first name that came to mind for me as well, in terms of being a bit of a 'character' in addition to a decent hockey analyst.  I noticed that Elliot Friedman helped host the previous Canucks broadcast.  He's not as much of a character, but a very interesting and dialed-in guy nonetheless.  I wonder if he's another possibility?

Edited by Captain Canuck #12

End of an era for sure.   Glad Friedman said something.   He cut his teeth in our circuit during the WCE era, and has pretty intimate knowledge/connection to those days (EF).   As for Garret, if there ever was a reason to put a colour commentator in the HHOF,  sure would love to see him get that honour.   Only guy on the planet that i could see filling those shoes is KB.    Make it happen! 

• Like 2

I don't really know what to say, this was very unexpected. He was simply the best. I'm going to miss him so much, he was a joy to listen to, every.f**king.time.

But if he's really going, I hope Bieksa is interested in the job and that they'll offer him the position.

Edited by Rubik
  • Like 1