The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Avalanche sign Sam Malinski

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This would typically go in the Minor Signings Thread, but the Canucks were one of the teams interested:

Can't blame him.  With Erik Johnson likely on his way out the door, it opens up a spot on the right side on a Stanley Cup winning team.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

A team known for producing quality d-men signs Livingstone and a cup winning team adds Malinski. I hoped we'd get at least one of these chaps. Hirose sounds good on paper, just sucks that our RHD quality plummets after Hronek and Bear. 

It really does plummet. It's what happens when you totally neglect it during drafts. I am hoping they find some gems in the European route because they can't pretend AGAIN that it's adequate. Even for depth purposes. We have Johanssen coming so that's great but man it sucks they didn't draft a few. 

5 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It really does plummet. It's what happens when you totally neglect it during drafts. I am hoping they find some gems in the European route because they can't pretend AGAIN that it's adequate. Even for depth purposes. We have Johanssen coming so that's great but man it sucks they didn't draft a few. 

This is why we traded for Hronek.  We didn't have any RHD in the system to come play on the big club.  And there aren't many RHD in the first couple of rounds in this year's draft.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 3
  • There it is 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is why we traded for Hronek.  We didn't have any RHD in the system to come play on the big club.  And there aren't many RHD in the first couple of rounds in this year's draft.

Woo and Johansson isn't in the system?

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Juulsen?

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Don't want to mess with a good thing too much (i.e. Hughes steller year) but I wonder if Mgmt would flirt with something like:

Gavrikov Hughes

OEL Hronek

LHD Bear

LHD:

Wolanin

Rathbone

Johansson

Brisebois

Etc.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wow, the Avalanche are really going hard to have the smallest defence in the entire NHL.  Not sure that is going to help them win another cup...

..? 

Manson's 6'3, Toew's 6'1, 2x Johnson's 6'1 and 6'3. Makar is really strong. Not sure what you are talking about. That is more muscle than what we are acing on our blueline... 

• Cheers 2

43 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

A team known for producing quality d-men signs Livingstone and a cup winning team adds Malinski. I hoped we'd get at least one of these chaps. Hirose sounds good on paper, just sucks that our RHD quality plummets after Hronek and Bear. 

I'm sure management have a plan for this offseason to address the issue. 

Let's all keep in mind that players like Noah Juulsen were getting picked in the first round while guys like Malinski went undrafted once or twice. 

For every Chris Tanev, there are 10 Brogan Raffertys. 

I'm happy to see new prospects added to the system, but we shouldn't lose track of the big picture of where guys like Hirose, Livingston, and Malinski fit. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wow, the Avalanche are really going hard to have the smallest defence in the entire NHL.  Not sure that is going to help them win another cup...

Canucks could have 6 dwarfs on D.... if they win a Stanley Cup I wouldn't care who was on the team size wise!

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I'm sure management have a plan for this offseason to address the issue. 

I hope that plan starts with Reinbacher. He won't be an option for years, but I think he greatly helps the prospect pool and gives us a future top 4 RHD. But it still sucks to see us miss on the freebie, more NHL ready RHD options. Reinbacher is anywhere from 2-4 years away from being able to really help us. Livingstone and Malinski should be knocking on the NHL door today, if not, next year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I hope that plan starts with Reinbacher. He won't be an option for years, but I think he greatly helps the prospect pool and gives us a future top 4 RHD. But it still sucks to see us miss on the freebie, more NHL ready RHD options. Reinbacher is anywhere from 2-4 years away from being able to really help us. Livingstone and Malinski should be knocking on the NHL door today, if not, next year.

There are still the euro FA’s, Berglund and Harman-Äktell

• There it is 1