The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rick Tocchet

Rate this topic

Phat Fingers

Thought that we finally have a coach worth having a thread about.

I find Tocchet’s post game interviews to be the most interesting and most engaging descriptions of the play of his team.

Without being mean spirited.  

It’s a refreshing change from the coaches we have had over the last number of years since AV left.

We have a players coach that the management took a great deal of responsibility in hiring.

Alvin and Rutherford have bet the farm on Tocchet and the players here now, and definitely roster coming into camp.

This is Tocchet’s team now, not EP40’s, not JT Miller’s or Quinn Hughes team but Rick Tocchet’s Team.

In other words, if this core is making it to the Promised Land, the Team needs Rick Tocchet’s straight forward approach with his expectations and the grounded reasoning behind every decision.

wow.

Rick Tocchet could already give motivational lectures to organizations and companies about what Leadership is.

He accepts questions, gives answers, is accountable for his own actions and doesn’t expect anyone to be above him or beneath him, and the he puts the future goals that are very hard to accomplish into each and every situation as the ‘Why’.

To Rick Tocchet’s Coaching Career with the Vancouver Canucks.

Our great young players have a Coach who leads like a Leader should.  

By example and educated approach that is always communicated with clear understanding on all sides.

Just wow.

We are finally seeing the biggest weakness the team has had in the Post AV world.  

A Great Coach, to make a great team with great players,

56E5AD3F-8D6C-44EF-B449-AAE1F38AB9F3.jpeg

3D63233F-EB48-4E8B-80B8-71D0124965A7.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I would re tittle this thread….

Rick Tocchet and the ‘Goonies’.

Our team being the ‘Goonies’

We are constantly the underdog and the unwanted ones in the inner circles of the NHL.

Always a spectacle to the ‘Rest of Canada’ and or the ‘Rest of the NHL’ since the very first days of the clubs existence.

Plus as a thick skulled guy with a Mug, I love that our Coach looks tougher in a fight than any one else in the room.

Leadership with the ability to back it up, while never having to distract his players away from the goal. 

The treasure…

14FB9218-D7D6-45AF-8191-E1AC1166513A.jpeg

Tocchet is a good guy to learn from.  Basically became a 100 point and 1,000 point player from being a 6th round pick by playing tough hockey.  Not many players could score 100 points and also be the team's enforcer too.  That's a very small group of players in hockey history.

• Vintage 1

While there is a way to go in the Vancouver d-zone fans cannot watch the team today and not recognize the improvements. Their ability to break up ice is regular stuff now. Yes, Hughes got caught by the Flames but that was kinda lucky. The regular high risk plays aren't really happening anymore. 

Credit to Tocchet but also Foote and Gonchar. That is a group of coaches that have done it all. 

• Like 1

I just hope he doesn't coach the fun and creativity out of Kuzmenko.  I am not sure Kuzmenko deserves the treatment coach Tocchet has been giving him as he is a near 40 goal man in his rookie season.  

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

While there is a way to go in the Vancouver d-zone fans cannot watch the team today and not recognize the improvements. Their ability to break up ice is regular stuff now. Yes, Hughes got caught by the Flames but that was kinda lucky. The regular high risk plays aren't really happening anymore. 

Credit to Tocchet but also Foote and Gonchar. That is a group of coaches that have done it all. 

Other than their coaching record, yes they have. I'm still on the fence with Tocchet. Are you including JT, Boeser, Myers? I'm not trying to be a dick, but, I see no difference in this team, than when BB was here. BB didn't have a healthy Demko, who I believe is saving this Canuck team from being a total embarrassment.

1 hour ago, Bell said:

I just hope he doesn't coach the fun and creativity out of Kuzmenko.  I am not sure Kuzmenko deserves the treatment coach Tocchet has been giving him as he is a near 40 goal man in his rookie season.  

He definitely doesn't.

13 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Other than their coaching record, yes they have. I'm still on the fence with Tocchet. Are you including JT, Boeser, Myers? I'm not trying to be a dick, but, I see no difference in this team, than when BB was here. BB didn't have a healthy Demko, who I believe is saving this Canuck team from being a total embarrassment.

Demko was there until Dec and they were beyond awful.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

I would re tittle this thread….

Rick Tocchet and the ‘Goonies’.

Our team being the ‘Goonies’

We are constantly the underdog and the unwanted ones in the inner circles of the NHL.

Always a spectacle to the ‘Rest of Canada’ and or the ‘Rest of the NHL’ since the very first days of the clubs existence.

Plus as a thick skulled guy with a Mug, I love that our Coach looks tougher in a fight than any one else in the room.

Leadership with the ability to back it up, while never having to distract his players away from the goal. 

The treasure…

14FB9218-D7D6-45AF-8191-E1AC1166513A.jpeg

Let's face it, the Canucks have been irrelevant for since the Sedins run.  There's been a few bright spots over the

last half century, but overall the franchise record is uninspiring.  I don't think 'the rest of Canada'  or 'the rest of the

NHL' care much about the Canucks.

Was a big Bruce fan so understandably was very annoyed at the Org when / how Tocchet was brought in, which of course was no fault of the new coach. 

Didn't know much about him when he arrived, had not seen any of his broadcast being a SN viewer. I remember he had some good seasons on Zona with 'poor' teams but I mostly remember that team being frustrating and boring, while also beating prime Sedin era teams.

I have to say since he has arrived I have been impressed. He's very honest and insightful to the press, he clearly holds players accountable for not living up to expectations and also, and maybe most importantly is clearly there in the trenches with them, being very hands-on in drills and exercises which I think is all-important for modern managers and coaches these days.  

Still too early to say if the on-ice produce is truly a step forward as there have been too many variables since he took over to tell. The true test will be the start to next season and that first East coast road trip.

Signs for hope tho - I'm happy with the appointment at this point in time.  Still think they should have waited till EoS tho, the traditional late run up the standings as once again likely made our draft position much weaker. 

I just like him, I didn't think I would but I do. He's quite different than I expected and I already have a lot of respect for him as a coach.

He seems candid and direct. I feel like he has a good vision of what he wants/expects from the team and now that Captain Country Club is gone everyone can buy fully into that. Tocchet is hard nosed but seemingly in a pretty effective way. I think he's a real asset to this team.

I like what he's said about the off season/summer and that guys better show up in shape. That matters. There's a lot of down time when you miss the playoffs so the bar has been set. No Jake'ing.

I hate throwing ex players under the bus but sometimes it's warranted. Bo never had his teammate's backs and is showing how he's all about the Bo show. I don't know that Tocchet would've accepted that or loved how he turned a cheek when teammates like Petey were being mugged. Casual skate by's. There is a new "culture" being developed and I see that maybe some of our subtractions were additions.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I hate throwing ex players under the bus but sometimes it's warranted. Bo never had his teammate's backs and is showing how he's all about the Bo show. I don't know that Tocchet would've loved how he turned a cheek when teammates like Petey were being mugged. Casual skate by's.

Tocchet would have hated it.  He was the guy that not only scored more points than Bo ever will but he was the enforcer in Philadelphia.  It was quite the setup they had on those Flyers teams...one of their main scoring stars and their goalie that laid down the law.  And it got them to game 7 of the final against Gretzky's Oilers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Tocchet would have hated it.  He was the guy that not only scored more points than Bo ever will but he was the enforcer in Philadelphia.  It was quite the setup they had on those Flyers teams...one of their main scoring stars and their goalie that laid down the law.  And it got them to game 7 of the final against Gretzky's Oilers.

My brother in law's favourite team back then....he was a total Flyer's fan and so I kind of followed them.

Yep.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

My brother in law's favourite team back then....he was a total Flyer's fan and so I kind of followed them.

Yep.

1987 Flyers is one of my favorite lineups in NHL history.  Your brother in law knows his stuff.

They actually have 20 players that I distinctly remember as being very good.  Plus a great goon in Berube.  Some of those 20 were on the 18th hole like Glenn Resch and Kevin McCarthy but...I honestly don't know if any other team in history has that many that I could name.

• Cheers 1

• -AJ- locked this topic