• Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7
    • Kings in 4
    • Kings in 5
    • Kings in 6
    • Kings in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/20/2023 at 02:00 AM

2 minutes ago, McBackup said:

That’s a pretty silly argument. McDavid’s freakish ability doesn’t come from his speed but his ability to do at things at a full head of steam that most players need to open up and slow down to execute. The difference between McDavid’s speed and other elite players is hundredths or thousandths of a second. Saying “take away his speed and we won’t be top 10” is like saying take away Petey’s awareness and he won’t be top 10.

Take away Petey’s arms and legs and his name will be Matt.

Edited by Wise Guy

7 minutes ago, McBackup said:

That’s a pretty silly argument. McDavid’s freakish ability doesn’t come from his speed but his ability to do at things at a full head of steam that most players need to open up and slow down to execute. The difference between McDavid’s speed and other elite players is hundredths or thousandths of a second. Saying “take away his speed and we won’t be top 10” is like saying take away Petey’s awareness and he won’t be top 10.

Awareness doesn’t go away with age.  Speed does.  Ovechkin can score 50 goals at 35 years old because he doesn’t rely on speed to do it.  Also, I never said “take away his speed”, I said once McDavid loses a step.  It’s not hard to lose a step in the NHL.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Awareness doesn’t go away with age.  Speed does.  Ovechkin can score 50 goals at 35 years old because he doesn’t rely on speed to do it.  Also, I never said “take away his speed”, I said once McDavid loses a step.  It’s not hard to lose a step in the NHL.  

You said without his speed he “isn’t a top 10 player”. 

Awareness does decrease with age, not to the same level as other physical attributes but it will degrade. If you don’t like that example fine, take away Pettersson’s hand eye coordination and he isn’t nearly as good. Take away Ovi’s shot and he isn’t nearly as good. Take away Crosby’s inner-ear vestibular system so he’s no longer capable of balancing on his own two feet and he isn’t the player he was. My point still stands.

1 minute ago, McBackup said:

You said without his speed he “isn’t a top 10 player”. 

Awareness does decrease with age, not to the same level as other physical attributes but it will degrade. If you don’t like that example fine, take away Pettersson’s hand eye coordination and he isn’t nearly as good. Take away Ovi’s shot and he isn’t nearly as good. Take away Crosby’s inner-ear vestibular system so he’s no longer capable of balancing on his own two feet and he isn’t the player he was. My point still stands.

Speed decreases with age alot faster than anything else you mentioned.  Even Bure wasn’t the same player once he lost a step.  Same with Glenn Anderson.  Messier had to adjust his game.  Gretzky never had blazing speed which is why he was able to be so dominate for so long.  Even into his 30’s he was still winning scoring titles… 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Speed decreases with age alot faster than anything else you mentioned.  Even Bure wasn’t the same player once he lost a step.  Same with Glenn Anderson.  Messier had to adjust his game.  Gretzky never had blazing speed which is why he was able to be so dominate for so long.  Even into his 30’s he was still winning scoring titles… 

I am not saying McDavid is better than Gretzky. I am saying that saying McDavid isn’t very good if you take away his speed is dumb, it’s like me saying I could kick the shit out of Mike Tyson as long as you pumped him full of horse tranquilizer first. 

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You’re assuming all his other skills stay stagnant but they’ll keep improving, I really can’t see him aging badly.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Darius said:

Enjoying this LA DJ. He’s not playing Taylor Swift and ABBA like our DJ 

So true,  I's surprised our 'ol DJ has survived the hatchet so far.    Hipefully he's gon by next season as everyone complains about him. Dj old man Stock Photos, Royalty Free Dj old man Images | Depositphotos