The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Cam Talbot to hit free agency

4 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

So everything will go right for Ottawa, even though they have one of the worst d corps and systems, no NHL goalies, and forwards who don't help on defense, and miraculously Florida, Tampa Bay and Toronto will all drop in the next 2 years, even though they are each stronger at every single fundamental position? Hell, Buffalo and Detroit are more promising, albeit more boring teams. 

The things people complain about here in Vancouver; no backchecking, poor defensive corps, goaltending (when Demko was injured or playing injured), no system... This is the current Ottawa model. They finished a whopping 3 points ahead of us this year, and we were pitiful, injured, had the worst PK in league history, the most 2 goal leads blown in NHL history.... Our rock bottom is 3 points away from their promising team that you seem to like. It just doesn't really add up and there are absolutely no signs of the Sens being a bubble playoff team anytime soon, no matter how drunk Tkachuk gets screaming in the market that they're making it next year. 

Hmmm, not saying it will go perfectly. You seem more upset that people like Ottawa's rebuild compared to Vancouver's never-ending retool or something. Idk, Ottawa has some very exciting pieces imo which has nothing to do with the Canucks. Whatever makes you happy I guess. I like their players and draft choices personally and I find them an exciting young team.

14 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hmmm, not saying it will go perfectly. You seem more upset that people like Ottawa's rebuild compared to Vancouver's never-ending retool or something. Idk, Ottawa has some very exciting pieces imo which has nothing to do with the Canucks. Whatever makes you happy I guess. I like their players and draft choices personally and I find them an exciting young team.

I'm a tad biased since I'm based in Ottawa and have to listen to their insufferable fanbase constantly. They have interesting pieces and a lot of young players, who imo shine in a system-less team. They're allowed to cheat to create offense (Tkachuk and Stutzle consistently cherrypick for breakaways), and they are a tire fire in their own end. It's a pleasure every single year going to CTC to watch Sens vs Nucks because if Ryan isn't out of rehab (and I actually enjoyed that game because the venue was on fire when he scored all 3 goals), it's a free win and it's usually a shellacking. 

They could benefit from an actual NHL coach, and of course, NHL goaltending and defensive corps. 

My point: they are still very far from beating out Boston, Tampa Bay, Toronto, and Florida, while teams like Montreal Buffalo and Detroit seem more interesting (Montreal will need 2-3 years though).

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi

14 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I'm a tad biased since I'm based in Ottawa and have to listen to their insufferable fanbase constantly. They have interesting pieces and a lot of young players, who imo shine in a system-less team. They're allowed to cheat to create offense (Tkachuk and Stutzle consistently cherrypick for breakaways), and they are a tire fire in their own end. It's a pleasure every single year going to CTC to watch Sens vs Nucks because if Ryan isn't out of rehab (and I actually enjoyed that game because the venue was on fire when he scored all 3 goals), it's a free win and it's usually a shellacking. 

They could benefit from an actual NHL coach, and of course, NHL goaltending and defensive corps. 

My point: they are still very far from beating out Boston, Tampa Bay, Toronto, and Florida, while teams like Montreal Buffalo and Detroit seem more interesting (Montreal will need 2-3 years though).

That game really pissed me off. Outplayed them, but all the goals Ryan scored were softies. Also, I was pissed because we needed the points for a tight playoff race and of course we are the first team to play Ryan out of rehab at home. And then how it all turns, Ryan eventually got back into his drinking habits again and got arrested for intoxication charges.

• Cheers 1

This team has relied on stellar goaltending for years. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if was our team defensive structure (coach), the defenses structure (asst.coach), or our poor actual players which resulted in this. By my estimation, it was a combination of all 3.

But that's not a playoff team. A playoff team plays well enough as a team and individually that the goalie isn't hung out to dry every. single. night.

I think we saw improvement after the coaching switch. I believe we are close to having the right players, oddly enough. Myers aside.

But if we are going to continue asking the goalie to bail this team out, a solid veteran backup is a must. Otherwise, I actually think that between Delia and Martin, there is an argument to be made to take the risk.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2023 at 3:41 PM, King Heffy said:

For all his faults, Benning at least understood this.

And yet for the 15.2 million he spent between Holtby, Halak, and Nilsson they had a combined 21-40-10 record.

For $1.5 million Martin and Delia were 21-21-3

The difference is Benning spent a lot of money in bad goalies 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

And yet for the 15.2 million he spent between Holtby, Halak, and Nilsson they had a combined 21-40-10 record.

Mostly because of the absolute garbage Benning allowed to coach the team.  You think those guys do that badly under an actual NHL coach instead of Green and Desjardins?  You don't think that having a Baumgartner coached blueline makes it harder for a goalie to succeed?

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

They weren't bad goalies. Almost all of the goalies ended up doing better after Vancouver, including Holtby. Nilsson didn't cost that much and he did have some good games.

Benning's problem was that almost every transaction that he did, whether it was trade or free signing, ended up blowing up in his face. Everyone talks about OEL being a bad trade. It really isn't at all, in the grand scheme of things. The worst one IMO is Forsling, one that didn't cost much initially, but ended up being a worse trade in the end.

I also agree with @King HeffyThe personnel that were chosen to run the team were not very good. Keeping Green was a massive mistake.

Edited by Dazzle