The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Cam Talbot to hit free agency

55 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Do we even have money for a decent backup?  I'd reckon we'd have to pay him or anyone something around 1.2-1.5 million.  And we can't afford that.

We have to be able to.

A reliable backup is going to be just as important as any move they make this offseason IMO. If they can’t win with their backup it’s season over again. Demko will be overworked and get injured.

If they can afford to re-sign Bear they should prioritize a quality backup first.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Demko backup?

Pretty much where he’s at in his career.

He would definitely be more reliable than going with Martin again next year and can probably take more of the workload from Demko. I think he's probably going to be looking for a 1B type role though which won't happen here. Maybe if no one signs him early in free agency he will double back to teams inquiring about him as a backup. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Do we even have money for a decent backup?  I'd reckon we'd have to pay him or anyone something around 1.2-1.5 million.  And we can't afford that.

Yeah, Spencer Martin.

Don't write him off. He only started playing poorly cause the team had to play him to the ground behind a terrible defence when Demko was injured. 

4 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Yeah, Spencer Martin.

Don't write him off. He only started playing poorly cause the team had to play him to the ground behind a terrible defence when Demko was injured. 

No way we go with Martin again.

The point is to have a backup that can take over if Demko goes down. Martin proved he could not handle that role. We need a cheaper NHL vet there until Silovs or someone else is ready.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Yeah, Spencer Martin.

The sample size of him playing all is a lot smaller than the sample size of him playing poorly.  He's fine as an AHL call-up, but he can't go into the season on the NHL roster.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No way we go with Martin again.

The point is to have a backup that can take over if Demko goes down. Martin proved he could not handle that role. We need a cheaper NHL vet there until Silovs or someone else is ready.

For all his faults, Benning at least understood this.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Yeah, Spencer Martin.

I don't blame anyone for thinking Martin could be a solid backup before this season started.  He was actually outperforming Demko in the beginning of this year too.  And it really isn't fair to blame individuals on that disastrous first half.  So much went wrong on a team level.

But shouldn't Vancouver learn from the lesson of losing Demko?  Without any goaltending depth, the season is over.  Most of the Western playoff teams have gotten through because their backup (or 3rd string) stepped up.  I guess you could try and argue Martin would do well in Vegas or LA but he played exceptionally poor this year.  I doubt the Canucks will put that much trust in him again.  Not all 3rd string goalies are made the same.  He had the potential to be a full-time NHLer and lost that spot to Colin Delia.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I don't blame anyone for thinking Martin could be a solid backup before this season started.  He was actually outperforming Demko in the beginning of this year too.  And it really isn't fair to blame individuals on that disastrous first half.  So much went wrong on a team level.

But shouldn't Vancouver learn from the lesson of losing Demko?  Without any goaltending depth, the season is over.  Most of the Western playoff teams have gotten through because their backup (or 3rd string) stepped up.  I guess you could try and argue Martin would do well in Vegas or LA but he played exceptionally poor this year.  I doubt the Canucks will put that much trust in him again.  Not all 3rd string goalies are made the same.  He had the potential to be a full-time NHLer and lost that spot to Colin Delia.

I think the lesson of losing Demko is to get a better defence. 

I don't think a team is well-constructed if its season hinges on the performance of its starting goalie. 

If teams like the Leafs and Oilers can run on mid-tier goaltending, the Canucks should at least be able to make some kind of an impact with much better goaltending in Demko and a mid-tier backup. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I think the lesson of losing Demko is to get a better defence. 

I don't think a team is well-constructed if its season hinges on the performance of its starting goalie. 

If teams like the Leafs and Oilers can run on mid-tier goaltending, the Canucks should at least be able to make some kind of an impact with much better goaltending in Demko and a mid-tier backup. 

The Canucks already have a better defence than the Leafs and Oilers, neither of which is a good example of how to build a franchise.