The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

But, it does matter. There is this thing called a cap, and the difference between him making 10mil and 12 mil is quite immense. It's cap savings that can put us in a spot where we can retain another quality player instead of losing them cause we can't afford them. Hell, even 10mil vs 11mil is significant. I am pretty sure we still have yet to see a team win a cup with a player making 10+mil. Let alone 11+mil. I want Petey back, but we can't just give players blank checks and expect to compete. It's largely why Toronto are perennial one and done every April.

Thank you, I love the guy and if we were not in a Cap world I would say pay him what ever he wants too, but that's just not realistic. Toronto is a good example of this mind set, no thanks.

13 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Shhhh...what are you doing, don't let J.P. Barry read this, jeez

:lol:

10 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'm sure JP Barry is already thinking in the 12's.  ;)  @-AJ-'s figure is already a discounted one.

Funny enough, I do sometimes wonder if speculation on social media sites influences asking prices and if I'm part of the problem :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Excellent defensively is a bit of an overstatement. If he ever approaches the Selke conversation, then I'll say he's am excellent defensive forward. As of now, he's okay defensively at best. Regardless, you don't need to be excellent defensively to make 11mil. So I don't entirely disagree that he may get that. Toronto's top 3 guys make 11mil. He's better than them.

Although I do wish he'd take a Barkov contract, I get that's a Florida thing where they have better taxes. But still, just a wish on my part. Barkov is actually excellent defensively and is pretty damn good offensively. Good for 90ish points when healthy. 10.5mil over 8 years is my dream Petey contract.

I don't expect Pettersson to be a Selke finalist, but I do strongly expect him to get some votes here and there, thrusting him at least a little into the conversation. To say that he's okay I think is contrary to both the eye test and statistical analysis. At the 3/4 mark of the season, he led all NHL forwards in takeaways, just as a taste.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Having the same drive can happen at the same time as figuring out what's fair remuneration for him and in terms of costs for the team, but ultimately the $$$ involved is something that he'll have final say on, and if there is any discount involved, I don't expect it'll be to the point where he undercuts his own value too drastically.  Something like that impacts other potential FA negotiations, and can (and will) build resentment amongst other players.

He'll get paid, and as mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the $12s after all is said and done.

Thanks but still just your opinion. Is Miller getting that RESENTMENT you speak of? ::D

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

But, it does matter. There is this thing called a cap, and the difference between him making 10mil and 12 mil is quite immense. It's cap savings that can put us in a spot where we can retain another quality player instead of losing them cause we can't afford them. Hell, even 10mil vs 11mil is significant. I am pretty sure we still have yet to see a team win a cup with a player making 10+mil. Let alone 11+mil. I want Petey back, but we can't just give players blank checks and expect to compete. It's largely why Toronto are perennial one and done every April.

Yeah as I said in my post of course we want the cap hit as low as possible. 

But you are phrasing this as though I said give every guy on our team whatever they want. 

I'm specifically speaking about Elias Pettersson. There is no replacement for him. If he leaves the current team is a wash. We can't trade him for an equal player back, so if we do it should indicate a rebuild (which I'm fine with if they wanted to do that). 

So sure I'd love to sign him for 9 or 10 million. But if he wants 12, then you give him 12. EP and his agent aren't dumb, they are aware of the cap and know that taking more means less for other bodies on the roster. 

Also we should stop comparing ourselves to Toronto. Yeah I think it is funny they lose in the 1st round each year also, but they are one of the top teams each season and while I agree they have given too much money out at times they are in a far better position than Vancouver is. I'm looking forward to when our group are consistently in the playoffs and the next goal is to go deep. 

Seems like a far better problem to have then whatever Aqualini has been pulling off here. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I don't expect Pettersson to be a Selke finalist, but I do strongly expect him to get some votes here and there, thrusting him at least a little into the conversation. To say that he's okay I think is contrary to both the eye test and statistical analysis. At the 3\/4 mark of the season, he led all NHL forwards in takeaways, just as a taste.

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

And EP40 at $12+ isn't that bad in comparison.

We are talking about the same player who basically finally just grew into his man body and just starting taking full time duties as a center this year right? Take off your homer glasses there fellas. He is getting there but I am afraid we don't know what the final product is going to be yet. 

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

By the way, hate to burst your bubble, but MacKinnon will be paid higher than McOMMFG next season.  :rolleyes:

Plus nobody said EP40 was aiming to be the highest paid player in the league - although I'm sure his agents wouldn't mind if he were.

I'm sorry but is what you say fact? because I checked the FACTS and I think McDavid, with a Cap hit of 12.5 Million, IS the highest paid player. 

..............but you can speculate all you like. ::D

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

And that's the risk management will need to take.  If they can't come to a concensus, they'll have to find a replacement for him as they won't be letting him walk to UFA after next season.  The risk that he doesn't perform on a $12m contract vs the risk of having to find his replacement - certainly not a position I'd relish being in.

I am sure we are going to be handsomely remunerated for any trade that involves Petey, make no mistake. But like I said , I don't think Petey is that type of player. He will find a deal that will be reasonable for both sides. 

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

MacKinnon, starting next season:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, File, Page, Text

McDavid, current contract:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, File

I don't know about you, but last I checked, $12.6 is supposedly higher than $12.5, so it seems MacKinnon will be paid more next season than that other Mc.

Oh you're one of those "I need to be right all of the time" fellas. Ok , so McDavid IS the highest paid player, BUT, next year he won't be. Gotcha. 

Ok , so if I am following you correctly, so, Petey is better then McKinnon and McDavid then? or at least comparable? 

I just want to make sure I know what you are saying this time, ::D

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I don't expect Pettersson to be a Selke finalist, but I do strongly expect him to get some votes here and there, thrusting him at least a little into the conversation. To say that he's okay I think is contrary to both the eye test and statistical analysis. At the 3\/4 mark of the season, he led all NHL forwards in takeaways, just as a taste.

So I guess he sits between okay and excellent. Works for me. A guy with no current Selke consideration is not an excellent defensive forward in my books, and there was a time Virtanen was leading our team in takeaways. I remember, cause it was a metric I used to advocate playing him more. Lol. Not saying Petey can't get there, but I dunno. I am just tired of paying people for what-ifs instead of what they are. Teams with players making that kind of money (11mil+ players) aren't exactly lighting the standings/playoffs on fire. The only exception to this rule so far is the Rangers with Panarin and maybe Toronto if you count doing well in the standings but not the playoffs as succeeding.

But, Petey is not a guy I'd lowball. If we have to overpay anyone. I'd gladly overpay him, and Hughes. 11.5mil-12mil would hurt, but we'll just cut costs elsewhere. Petey's don't exactly fall into your lap everyday, we can maybe get draft lucky and find bottom 6ers on the cheap. But for a guy with supposed captain consideration it'd be pretty nice if he took a haircut on a contract and signed sub-11mil instead of over.

It's not a talent thing that keeps me caring about Petey's cap hit. If there was no cap in this league, I wouldn't care about cap hits at all. Not my money. But sadly with the cap being a thing, it's a discussion that needs to be had and it's never personal. Petey is our best forward and a key cog to our future success. He should by rights be one of if not the highest paid players on the team. But by how much is a debate that needs to happen by management and agent. And since we have nothing to talk about all summer, we may as well argue amongst ourselves as well.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Call me crazy, but I think anyone thinking Petey's contract is less than $11M is living off dreams. A 100+ point player who's also excellent defensively is getting far more than $10M IMO.

Signature bet? 

::D

44 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, by cap percentage, 10-12M puts him inside the top-40, but just outside the top-10. That seems fair right now, for market value.

I think he’s quite possibly a top-10 player already in this league, but he’s not yet a consensus top-10 (but he might be in a year’s time).

Right now I have Petey in the 11-15 group among forwards with the likes of Jason Robertson, Jack Hughes, and Tage Thompson. All are knocking on the door of top 10 but need to prove they can repeat their performances first.

48 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Now, what they ultimately settle for - you are right that the additional million or two that he might choose to give a discount to the team for could result in upgrades elsewhere on the team

Even more importantly, and I think that @EdgarM insinuated this, Petey would put a cap on the internal salaries as our undisputed best player. 

If he lands at 10 million even, no other player will have a case or the audacity to ask for anything close to that for the next 8 years (unless we win the Bedard lottery). 

I am really envious of the Boston Bruins model where Bergeron and Marchand left a lot of money on the table in order to build a winner. 

Demko, JT, and Quinn have each left 500k or 1 million on the table. Petey absolutely deserves 11 million per year, but him taking 10 would be a significant commitment to the team and building a winner. 

7 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Even more importantly, and I think that @EdgarM insinuated this, Petey would put a cap on the internal salaries as our undisputed best player. 

If he lands at 10 million even, no other player will have a case or the audacity to ask for anything close to that for the next 8 years (unless we win the Bedard lottery). 

I am really envious of the Boston Bruins model where Bergeron and Marchand left a lot of money on the table in order to build a winner. 

Demko, JT, and Quinn have each left 500k or 1 million on the table. Petey absolutely deserves 11 million per year, but him taking 10 would be a significant commitment to the team and building a winner. 

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

I'll guess EP40 accepts 8 x 10.5(certainly knowing he could get more)

This is the type of Player I think Petey is. Can he ask for a crazy amount of money and put the team behind the 8 ball? Sure, but would he do that? I don't think so. I don't think the team Low balls him either. They might start out on the low side but that's business. 

At the end of the day, I see him signing a reasonable offer and he is going to be a very wealthy young man. Much more then he already is.

• Cheers 1

Only 5 players have ever been paid 10 million a season as an RFA:

McDavid 

Matthews

Eichel (overpaid)

Barkov

Marner (overpaid)

The question is does he belong in that group?

I think 10 x 8 is fair for both sides anything over 10 million he better play like a top 5 center in the league consistently. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 1