[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

6 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Only 5 players have ever been paid 10 million a season as an RFA:

McDavid 

Matthews

Eichel

Barkov

Marner

The question is does he belong in that group?

I think 10 x 8 is fair for both sides anything over 10 million he better play like a top 5 center in the league consistently. 

Yes, possibly as high as #2 on that list IMO.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

The bidding started at $8.5 mil and went up to $13. Alf was bidding against himself and raised the asking price by $2 mil all by himself. I always liked IBatch's approach as a % of the CAP. Petey will be followed by Hughes. Van could easily end up like the Laffers with 3 guys wiping out their roster. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Even more importantly, and I think that @EdgarM insinuated this, Petey would put a cap on the internal salaries as our undisputed best player. 

If he lands at 10 million even, no other player will have a case or the audacity to ask for anything close to that for the next 8 years (unless we win the Bedard lottery). 

I am really envious of the Boston Bruins model where Bergeron and Marchand left a lot of money on the table in order to build a winner. 

Demko, JT, and Quinn have each left 500k or 1 million on the table. Petey absolutely deserves 11 million per year, but him taking 10 would be a significant commitment to the team and building a winner. 

JT left $1M on the table.  He could have got $9M for sure.

Demko didn't leave anything on the table at the time of signing.  Although one could argue he's worth at least $1M more than his current cap hit.

We just hope Petey and Quinn each leave about $1M on the table.

If those 4 are providing $1M or more extra value on each of their contracts moving into our playoff/contender years, we'll be a major threat as the core guys would be "saving" us $4M+ in cap value.  That's a solid middle 6 forward right there.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Demko didn't leave anything on the table at the time of signing.  Although one could argue he's worth at least $1M more than his current cap hit.

If those 4 are providing $1M or more extra value on each of their contracts moving into our playoff/contender years, we'll be a major threat as the core guys would be "saving" us $4M+ in cap value.  That's a solid middle 6 forward right there.

We had players on this team, and probably still have a few, that play the game as a job and that's it. The country club?

We have seen a few who are ultra competitive and want to win badly, and it shows. 

The good thing about management is that they know the difference and are keeping the right guys.

I foresee in the near future that we will have a team hell bent on winning and will take a pay cut to do it. 

We are moving in the right direction IMHO.

Just now, EdgarM said:

We had players on this team, and probably still have a few, that play the game as a job and that's it. The country club?

We have seen a few who are ultra competitive and want to win badly, and it shows. 

The good thing about management is that they know the difference and are keeping the right guys.

I foresee in the near future that we will have a team hell bent on winning and will take a pay cut to do it. 

We are moving in the right direction IMHO.

Hope so.  IF the core guys are the ones hell bent on winning, then we'll get there.  If core guys are country club bumpkins, then we'll see more big names shipped out.

• Upvote 1

8x$10m, get it done. That's such a nice round number and more money than anyone could ever need. But it's probably a smidge below his market value and players (or maybe more so agents) rarely take less than they can possibly get. I tell ya, if I were a superstar NHL player I would definitely take a team friendly deal. The fans would love me, the team would have more money for other good players, and the Stanley Cups would come raining down!

Yep. Management better not drag this out to September and still not have Petey signed. That would be a major f**k up if there was one. 

This market would go absolutely ape shit if Petey isn't signed this summer. 

I love Petey. That said...

One huge problem with Canadian markets?  All the hype and pressure in boards like these drives the price & bargaining power in the players favour exponentially! See JT Miller last year while rumoured to be traded. How do ya get value when the market is so desperate we riot?

* It's not a bad deal market wise or considering his current production.

* It is a very bad deal considering his age, term & total dollars. ie won't be great at all as he declines...

* American teams, moreso smaller market one's? Routinely sign similar deals for lesser term, not necessarily but sometimes AAV.

I vote we ban frickin frackin @-Vintage Canuck- for the dad blammit beating the drum time over time killing our beloved Canucks!!!  :emot-parrot:

To ____ with him, Dhalliwal , Canucks Army, Friedman, Patterson, Sekeres & Price! Did I mention Vintage?  (joking)  

Can I get a witness!  :gocan:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Allvin is gonna start with the Barzal contract. JP Barry is gonna counter with the MacKinnon contract. 

At the end of the day they will meet in the middle. 10.75x8. With a full NMC in the first 4 years. 

MacK is not really a comparable. He's won a cup. For years he had a very cap friendly deal that everyone admitted was a steal.

The new contract reflects that.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Give him the Tkachuk 9.5 million X 8 years, and call it a day. Hopefully they get this done and not be a big distraction. 

Tkachuk’s $9.5M AAV deal is 11.52% cap.

On a $87.5M salary cap (projection for 2024-25), that would be just an hair over $10M ($10,080,000).

Maybe put a 40 in there for fun, and go with $10,040,000 AAV?

I think there’s a good chance EP40 gets more, but anything in that $10M range would be a bargain and a great result IMO.

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Give him the Tkachuk 9.5 million X 8 years, and call it a day. Hopefully they get this done and not be a big distraction. 

If he accepts that, I'll personally fly from UK and shake Petey's hand.... He'll probably look at me and say, 'what do you want old fool...'

But that would be a magic deal for us... Then we could really be building a proper team.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

18 hours ago, HKSR said:

OEL says hi

• Haha 1