The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

50 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I'd even be fine with 10.

Just give him the 10 and be done with it. It's a nice round number and he can say he's in the double digits :lol:

Would really work for me as well. Pettersson and Hughes make this team go, they, with Demko, are our primary core from this point forward. Everything management does is to support them.

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

LOL! There is only 6 players making 11 million or more in the ENTIRE NHL! Also, it looks like 9 of the 11 players getting 100 points this year made LESS THEN 10 Million according to Cap Friendly. Those other 2 were Karlsson and McDavid. 

You've gotta take inflation into account when considering contracts. A contract signed three years ago is different than one signed today, especially with an impending large rise in the cap expected soon.

On top of all that, Petey not only scores 100+ points, but his defense is better than the majority of other players who put up 100+ points, indicating that he's quite possible overall a better player than some of them.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Call me crazy, but I think anyone thinking Petey's contract is less than $11M is living off dreams. A 100+ point player who's also excellent defensively is getting far more than $10M IMO.

Excellent defensively is a bit of an overstatement. If he ever approaches the Selke conversation, then I'll say he's am excellent defensive forward. As of now, he's okay defensively at best. Regardless, you don't need to be excellent defensively to make 11mil. So I don't entirely disagree that he may get that. Toronto's top 3 guys make 11mil. He's better than them.

Although I do wish he'd take a Barkov contract, I get that's a Florida thing where they have better taxes. But still, just a wish on my part. Barkov is actually excellent defensively and is pretty damn good offensively. Good for 90ish points when healthy. 10.5mil over 8 years is my dream Petey contract.

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

And if the team uses this as their justification, EP40's agents will just say, "that's fine, we'll take the RFA offer.  See you at UFA next off-season!  Oh, by the way, expect our ask next off-season to be $15 million.  Until we meet again in July 2024!"  :rolleyes:

Oh you mean doing a "Bo move" ? I doubt Petey is that type of player. 

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

I think if he keeps it at $10M x 8, that's a discount.  Realistically, Petey is probably worth $11M+.

I agree with this.

I agree with everyone that a Barzal is no longer a relative comp. He was last summer I guess.

I could see comps being Robertson / Tkachuk/

But Tkachuk has a the Florida tax factor I believe? Robertson is on a Bridge deal and both are wingers not C.

So the leagues top C salaries as a % of cap at time of signing would be the most relevant comps for Petey now. putting him in the $10-12M Range.

Looking like if he signs by 8 x $10M or anything less he took a discount. Lets hope for that..

• Upvote 1

He is an absolute stud and if our owner does not want to rebuild then this player is the most foundational part of the re-tool and go for it plan. 

Give him whatever he wants. Obviously us fans want the cap hit as low as possible, but 10 million, 11 million, 12 million, it doesn't matter. Sign him for 8 years and get it done. 

An elite 2 way, 100 point center just about to enter his prime. Potential future Selke candidate imo. 

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

You've gotta take inflation into account when considering contracts. A contract signed three years ago is different than one signed today, especially with an impending large rise in the cap expected soon.

On top of all that, Petey not only scores 100+ points, but his defense is better than the majority of other players who put up 100+ points, indicating that he's quite possible overall a better player than some of them.

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Excellent defensively is a bit of an overstatement. If he ever approaches the Selke conversation, then I'll say he's am excellent defensive forward. As of now, he's okay defensively at best. Regardless, you don't need to be excellent defensively to make 11mil. So I don't entirely disagree that he may get that. Toronto's top 3 guys make 11mil. He's better than them.

Although I do wish he'd take a Barkov contract, I get that's a Florida thing where they have better taxes. But still, just a wish on my part. Barkov is actually excellent defensively and is pretty damn good offensively. Good for 90ish points when healthy. 10.5mil over 8 years is my dream Petey contract.

I get that there are a other variables to consider for sure. But there is a difference from getting a fair market contract or getting the "Best" contract available. Bo is a perfect example of that. He went for the "Best" contract available. Some players will leave some money on the table(Miller?) because winning is more important. 

I don't think anyone would be surprised if he got anywhere between 10-12 per, but its up to the player to decide where that number actually falls. 

That extra 2 million would go a long way in making a team that is going for a championship to get that much better for a run. 

So far, many of our players have taken reasonable offers, Demko, Miller and Hughes for e.g.

6 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Sure, but the agents handle the negotiations, and they probably won't let him interject much into it until things get to a certain point.

Its like buying a house, the agent presents the offer to the player and he takes it or leaves it. Pretty simple.

54 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Call me crazy, but I think anyone thinking Petey's contract is less than $11M is living off dreams. A 100+ point player who's also excellent defensively is getting far more than $10M IMO.

Shhhh...what are you doing, don't let J.P. Barry read this, jeez

:lol:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

He is an absolute stud and if our owner does not want to rebuild then this player is the most foundational part of the re-tool and go for it plan. 

Give him whatever he wants. Obviously us fans want the cap hit as low as possible, but 10 million, 11 million, 12 million, it doesn't matter. Sign him for 8 years and get it done. 

An elite 2 way, 100 point center just about to enter his prime. Potential future Selke candidate imo. 

He would be pretty useless to us if he cared more about money then winning, just saying. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

He would be pretty useless to us if he cared more about money then winning, just saying. 

Yeah I'm not worried about that. All the top players make bank. His contract will match some of the other top players very likely. 

He'd be more useless to us if he left this tire fire organization and went somewhere else. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Exactly, and they'd be doing him a disservice if they started with a low-ball number (or even "fair value" as you put it), because the team will only be interested in negotiating the terms down.

So, as is common with negotations, the agents will start with an astronomical (and questionably unreasonable) figure to start, so that they have the room to negotiate down.

Now, what they ultimately settle for - you are right that the additional million or two that he might choose to give a discount to the team for could result in upgrades elsewhere on the team, but it's ultimately up to him to decide trading his worth against wagering on the management making good use of the discount he ultimately gives them.  Most management teams end up squandering it though (think - "ooh, shiny new toy to trade for/sign in UFA"), so don't expect the discount to be significant.

I think you are mistaking this regime to the last. B)

I believe Petey to have the same drive as Hughes/Miller and they seem to think team first and want to win.

14 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I agree with this.

I agree with everyone that a Barzal is no longer a relative comp. He was last summer I guess.

I could see comps being Robertson / Tkachuk/

But Tkachuk has a the Florida tax factor I believe? Robertson is on a Bridge deal and both are wingers not C.

So the leagues top C salaries as a % of cap at time of signing would be the most relevant comps for Petey now. putting him in the $10-12M Range.

Looking like if he signs by 8 x $10M or anything less he took a discount. Lets hope for that..

Yeah, by cap percentage, 10-12M puts him inside the top-40, but just outside the top-10. That seems fair right now, for market value.

I think he’s quite possibly a top-10 player already in this league, but he’s not yet a consensus top-10 (but he might be in a year’s time).

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

But, it does matter. There is this thing called a cap, and the difference between him making 10mil and 12 mil is quite immense. It's cap savings that can put us in a spot where we can retain another quality player instead of losing them cause we can't afford them. Hell, even 10mil vs 11mil is significant. I am pretty sure we still have yet to see a team win a cup with a player making 10+mil. Let alone 11+mil. I want Petey back, but we can't just give players blank checks and expect to compete. It's largely why Toronto are perennial one and done every April.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'm sure JP Barry is already thinking in the 12's.  ;)  @-AJ-'s figure is already a discounted one.

Oh so your comparable is MCDAVID and to have Petey the highest paid player in the League? Yeah OK :lol: ...........Homer.B)

I think he will be around 11to 12 mill for 8 years.

Saying that if he wants to win he should get his ten team no trade after three years.nvc for the first three Getting those he should be asking no more then 10.5 so we can build a winning team around him. 

That little bit extra 1 to 1.5 could help keep a player like QH next deal.