The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

11th overall pick in the 2023 Entry Draft

Rate this topic

KyGuy123

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

The thing is that although both guys are good along the walls (very important for the NHL game) Simashev is elite in knowing when to use his body vs stick and Wallinder tends to use body a lot more in situations that shouldn't call for it (could be easily coached out). With Simashev's edgework he's able to stay on top of guys in an elite fashion. You can't get away from the guy. If you're overly shifty he either sticks it away or pins you. If you wanna go around him he guides really well with his stick.

This is in my opinion the best aspect of his game and that's why he will be successful at the NHL game. Not to mention the guy is the best defender one on one in the entire draft bar none. 

TW edge work is very very good-its one of his best attributes and why scouts describe him as such a good skater. His agility is arguably better than Simashevs but he’s not 6’4” either.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

I've got a really bad feeling about tonight. I think we are gonna have a home run swing at 2 out of the 3 prospects I really like (Benson, Simashev and Moore in that order) and we will end up drafting somebody with tools but not a high ceiling or possibly high impact player. I doubt Smith and Leonard will be there. 

I have a bad feeling we will end up with Danielson or Willander, and in my opinion Benson and Moore are better defensively than Danielson with much higher ceilings offensively and Simashev is just a way better prospect than Wallinder.

Moore is very very raw but you're guaranteed a third liner that can PK. If that kid figures out how to match his processing with his skating he is gonna be the biggest steal of the draft bar none.

Danielson isn't bad, but I don't view him in the top 11. Has the tools but has a tendency similar to Barlow to lack patience and just throw pucks at the net as opposed to waiting for a better play. They make a lot of low percentage plays but also have the ability to make the high percentage play which makes them a bit frustrating to watch. I actually like him as a prospect but I'm certain somebody better will be available for us.

Edit: also I always have bad and good feelings when it comes to drafts with us and I'm usually wrong most of the time (most of the time I feel good going into the draft and then get disappointed) so hopefully this negative feeling is actually good! 

The more that I read, watch and listen, the more I feel like Danielson and Moore have the highest floor or are the "safest" picks.  Seems like the worst case scenario for both is a very high end 3rd liner who can slot in to the top 6 when needed.  

Seems like you have a different opinion on Danielson though.  I'm curious to hear more.  For me he ticks every box.  Size, speed, skill, maturity etc.

On 6/26/2023 at 7:17 PM, -DLC- said:

Heard on 650 on the drive home that the Canucks are "one of the most active teams" in relation to pursuing trades, shedding some cap (most specifically Garland). That they're making a lot of calls.

Surgery in progress. 

Will wait until training camp to judge them on this offseason.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Comparables? ("OMG, we got him!")

Michkov

Benson

Dvorsky

Leonard

Reinbacher

Simashev

You're either going to be really happy or really mad lol!  I think there's almost zero chance that at least one (probably more) of those guys is available at 11.

17 hours ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

This mock draft now has Dvorsky, Reinbacher, Danielson, and Willander in the top ten...if this happens the Canucks should definitely consider trading back.

If it goes like this and Philly offers you Sanheim and 22nd overall for 11th (Benson) and Beauvillier do you take it?

8 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

TW edge work is very very good-its one of his best attributes and why scouts describe him as such a good skater. His agility is arguably better than Simashevs but he’s not 6’4” either.

I disagree with him being more agile but with that said, I also think his edgework is great as well. It might possibly be that it's as good as Simashev's but Sima's looks more impressive just because of how big he is but I find when guys are being shifty along the wall Simashev sticks to them so well due to his edges as where Willander can occasionally be shaken off. Might be anticipation ability though. 

18 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

this really changed my perspective on DS. 

Just watching tape I liked him but had no clue about the type of person he is.  Now, Im having a hard time choosing btw him and Wallinder.

Like a really hard time. Canucks just need to draft both. Get r done PA

Spot on Goose... join the band of brothers... Didn't realise Simashev spoke English so well... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baratheon said:

The more that I read, watch and listen, the more I feel like Danielson and Moore have the highest floor or are the "safest" picks.  Seems like the worst case scenario for both is a very high end 3rd liner who can slot in to the top 6 when needed.  

Seems like you have a different opinion on Danielson though.  I'm curious to hear more.  For me he ticks every box.  Size, speed, skill, maturity etc.

I shudder at the term "safe pick". Because that's how they described Taylor Ellington. And we saw how safe that pick was.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I shudder at the term "safe pick". Because that's how they described Taylor Ellington. And we saw how safe that pick was.

I hear you.  I've been turned off by the exact same thing in the past.  I'm not sure why I feel differently about those two guys.  Ryan Kesler is the guy that keeps coming to mind.  Danielson just seems to fit a "mold" that I like.  Moore well... no secret what I (or anybody else) likes.  Having one of the fastest guys in the league has historically not been a bad thing.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Baratheon said:

I hear you.  I've been turned off by the exact same thing in the past.  I'm not sure why I feel differently about those two guys.  Ryan Kesler is the guy that keeps coming to mind.  Danielson just seems to fit a "mold" that I like.  Moore well... no secret what I (or anybody else) likes.  Having one of the fastest guys in the league has historically not been a bad thing.

One of the writers at the athletic had Danielson as the 6th highest upside in the draft.  

Just because he has the high floor doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t have a high ceiling. He’s a bit of a straight line player but by all accounts can score and uses his wingers when they’re open - despite playing with weaker teammates.  

Another article called him possibly the sleeper pick of the draft and a sportsnet one I just read called him a projected 2C.  2Cs are 55-70 point two way horses who get traded for 1sts and top prospects when they hit.  

So many online pundits are trying to make themselves look good by picking the dark horses but in reality a “safe” pick is a very good thing.  I’ll be very satisfied with Willander or Simashev as well but assuming no one really drops we could do a lot worse than Danielson. 

• Cheers 1