The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Darnell Nurse suspended 1 game, head coach Jay Woodcroft fined $10,000

Rate this topic

Just now, chon derry said:

The refs have let this series get out of control from the very beginning  

Oilers will win this in six. With or without Nurse they are the better club. Then they will trounce the Stars or Kraken. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Oilers will win this in six. With or without Nurse they are the better club. Then they will trounce the Stars or Kraken. 

This is the 1 prediction I hope your right on. A maple leaf oilers series would be great but I don’t see it happening. 

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

The slash looked a lot worse thanks to Draisitl flopping afterwards to try to draw a suspension.  This is a great chance for the league to send a message that diving is not going to be rewarded.  Fine McDiver the max for the bile he spewed after the game too.  

This is a terrible take.  Your obvious hate for Edmonton is clouding your judgement. 

AP was obviously pissed off because Edmonton was all over him all game, and he probably didn't like the hit from Kane earlier.  He skated across the ice to two-hand LD, raising the stick over his head in doing it, and coming down right near the hands.  LD probably lucked out and took it on the elbow pads, but it could have been season ending for LD if it missed the padding.  That's about as dirty as they come.  AP should be suspended, no question.  I would argue for the rest of the series to send a message that this crap won't be tolerated.  

Every time I see this kind of punishment I wonder- Why is the coach eating a $10,000 fine?

Heck if I'm the coach, and I see this go down, I'm going on the ice to take a couple of swings, might as well get my money's worth.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

I'm surprised that nobody's chin-checked Draisatl or gave him a good whack earlier.   

He's one of the dirtiest players when it comes to spearing and slashing players when they're looking the other way. 

I did just recall LA Kings going after his ankles last year, so there was that. 

As for AP.   A decade ago the league was throwing a whole bunch of suspensions all over the place to stop hand slashes.    Crosby took Methot's finger clean off (and well everyone was also slashing his hands at the time so can't really blame him).  This used to be a huge code violation.     As it should be. 

I'm pretty much in agreement with the majority here....

Nurse's suspension is automatic, (as is Woodcroft's) so not much to say there....Pietrangelo crossed a line here. IMO it's not a whole lot different than McSorely on Brash....it just didn't have the same result. (Luckily for AP)

He deserves 3 games, but he'll likely only get one. Officials love to "even it up", even when it comes to supplemental discipline.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Upvote 3

Its BS to that Nurse gets a 1 game suspension for instigating in the last 5 minutes. This isnt minor hockey ffs. I dont like Nurse one bit and dont like the Coilers, but even to me thats BS.

As for Pietrangelo, his intent sure wasnt to target Draisaitl’s wrist, he wanted to chop his stick in half, but even then thats an automatic 1 game arguably worth 2.