The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who here is actually happy with the Hronek trade?

Rate this topic

Odd.

7 hours ago, Coconuts said:

He is, he'd be a good get if he dropped to us, certainly.

Should have a number of centers who could potentially drop to us or be available at our slot in: Moore, Wood, Dvorsky, Leonard, Yager, maybe even Danielson. If one or both of Sandin Pellikka or Reinbacher jump that'd bump a player or two down. 

I can't say I've paid close enough attention to gauge who'd be the best pick, but I'm bullish on us grabbing a center. I know it's easy to get caught up with the current roster but times flies and we'll need a Miller replacement eventually. It'd be nice to develop a team/cost controlled top six center. 

I think in this draft they can honestly take BPA even if that’s a winger

Adding Raty and watching him play in the limited minutes he got in Abby, he’s destined for the nhl. A top tier 3C is his floor but he’s got the offensive tools to be a great 2C. This year he will break out if he’s given a bigger role I believe. 

Aman is looking like our natural next 3C. Let him cook on the 4th line for a little while longer, and he needs to get better at faceoffs but he will be our 3C. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I liked Marino as a target, too, but he’s not at Hronek’s level. 

He also cost Ty Smith an (ironically) 17th overall defender plus a 3rd.  

Weigh that against Hronek who has much better stats across the board for an 18 OA 1st, 2nd and 4th. 

I liked Marino more for us. Do you think Smith's value was still a 17 overall? At the time of the trade it was seemingly agreed as a late first or 2nd from what I saw. Hroneks a good player, but we payed a premium instead of looking for a deal like Marino. Like the player, don't like the trade.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

You two is talking about cap problems.

How does it look the coming season? 
How much over are or how much do you two think we’re over the cap?

If Pearson is on LTIR we are actually cap compliant, even with Poolman in the lineup.  This has been stated many times.  Some think Pearson may play next year, but not sure how that is possible if his hand is still in a cast after 8 months...

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I liked Marino more for us. Do you think Smith's value was still a 17 overall? At the time of the trade it was seemingly agreed as a late first or 2nd from what I saw. Hroneks a good player, but we payed a premium instead of looking for a deal like Marino. Like the player, don't like the trade.

JR, Allvin and Tocchet were all in Pittsburgh when Marino was there.  They know him probably better than his wife.  If they felt he was their guy I am sure they would have went after him instead...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

What makes you think, he won't score 30+ goals again?

Kuze scored on 27.3% of his  143 shots.

Mike Bossy has a career shooting % of  21.2%

Ovie has a career shooting percentage of 12.9%

Kuze at 21.2%= 30.3

Kuze at 12.9%=18.4

Seems highly unlikely Kuze will score at the same rate again.

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

stawns wants you to hang out with him on the weekends and watch some Abby games together.  You can at least offer to pitch in and pay for half of the cable costs...

Stay out of it, unless you're bringing the beer. 

• Haha 2

Honestly, I haven't watched him much as a Red Wing. But from all I've read on him, and the small sample size we witnessed of the few games he played with us, I'm satisfied with the acquisition and what we traded for him. 

The deal is, and as mentioned many times already in CDC, dude is a high caliber NHL player available to play for us right now. No waiting for development of a draft prospect.

Yea, we have to pay for him, and I don't know what he'll cost in the near future. But if he sticks and we can afford him then yea.

He's the RD position player we've been lacking. Perhaps not a match for Quinn's right side, but might be the guy to get OEL going next season. Still need some size out back though. Wait and see what transpires this summer.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

54 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why? I'm not splitting my cable with you.

By the end of the year, woo was their best overall dman.........an impact player at both ends of the ice and played with toughness and grit.  He looked like an NHL player from January on

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Kuze at 21.2%= 30.3

Kuze at 12.9%=18.4

How many shots did Kuz take compared to Bossy and OV? Kuz will take a lot more shots. His scoring rate per shot will drop, but his total goals will stay the same. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sativika said:

Honestly, I haven't watched him much as a Red Wing. But from all I've read on him, and the small sample size we witnessed of the few games he played with us, I'm satisfied with the acquisition and what we traded for him. 

The deal is, and as mentioned many times already in CDC, dude is a high caliber NHL player available to play for us right now. No waiting for development of a draft prospect.

Yea, we have to pay for him, and I don't know what he'll cost in the near future. But if he sticks and we can afford him then yea.

He's the RD position player we've been lacking. Perhaps not a match for Quinn's right side, but might be the guy to get OEL going next season. Still need some size out back though. Wait and see what transpires this summer.

Woo plays a heavy game. I think our right side next year will start with Hronek, Myers, Woo. If we can get Schenn yo come back, he would be in that mix too. Maybe we trade Myers too? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

By the end of the year, woo was their best overall dman.........an impact player at both ends of the ice and played with toughness and grit.  He looked like an NHL player from January on

Fair enough. I hope he makes it. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

JR, Allvin and Tocchet were all in Pittsburgh when Marino was there.  They know him probably better than his wife.  If they felt he was their guy I am sure they would have went after him instead...

Says who? It's also possible we just didn't have the assets at the time, and with the Horvat trade we did have assets to burn. There was plenty of rumors linking us to Marino when he was up for trade. I don't think they went for him instead. I think they missed out on him and got trigger happy. We acquired assets, and we then burned said assets immediately instead of being patient and hoping another player broke loose on a better deal then what we paid.

17 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Says who? It's also possible we just didn't have the assets at the time, and with the Horvat trade we did have assets to burn. There was plenty of rumors linking us to Marino when he was up for trade. I don't think they went for him instead. I think they missed out on him and got trigger happy. We acquired assets, and we then burned said assets immediately instead of being patient and hoping another player broke loose on a better deal then what we paid.

I don't recall any rumours linking us to Marino other than our own media plus CDC speculating because he played for Pittsburgh.  What evidence is there that we "missed" out on him?

Not sure what you mean by being patient.  Allvin specifically said they "targeted" Hronek" and were following him for over a year.  He was their guy.  When they found out that he was available (Hronek wasn't on the trade market), they jumped at the chance to get him.  They paid market value for him based on all the comparables for RHD...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

I think in this draft they can honestly take BPA even if that’s a winger

Adding Raty and watching him play in the limited minutes he got in Abby, he’s destined for the nhl. A top tier 3C is his floor but he’s got the offensive tools to be a great 2C. This year he will break out if he’s given a bigger role I believe. 

Aman is looking like our natural next 3C. Let him cook on the 4th line for a little while longer, and he needs to get better at faceoffs but he will be our 3C. 

Aman was a pleasant surprise, not as sold on Raty as you are but we'll see. He was a good acquisition, certainly, but I want more than one egg in the basket. 

I'm bullish on wanting a center who projects as a top six center. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How many shots did Kuz take compared to Bossy and OV? Kuz will take a lot more shots. His scoring rate per shot will drop, but his total goals will stay the same. 

Why would Kuz take a lot more shots, when he didn't previously?

In 315  regular season KHL games Kuze had 577 shots, scoring 85 goals    or 14.7%

In 61 post season KHL games Kuze had 112 shots scoring 18 goals      or 16.07%

Historically, he doesn't shoot much, and his shooting % is way, way higher this season.

https://en.khl.ru/players/19215/

ahahaha already a topic on this guy, and hes only played a few games, and in those few games he looked great, let the guy settle in and actually play more hockey before you hating on the trade, i for one love the trade ...but we shall see how it goes down the road

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

Kuze at 21.2%= 30.3

Kuze at 12.9%=18.4

True, but one can expect or at least hope that he is getting better after his first season in the NHL. 
He may not continue at this rate, but then again? I feel folks are really negative in their thoughts regarding our players. 
if we expect Kuz to score less than 20goals this season, they may as well trade him, as he'll just be another Boeser then. 

I doubt very much he scores less than 25 goals, and think he scores 30 again. 

51 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

What? We needed a RHD that takes pressure of Hughes.

Can Marino do that? Isn’t he a more defensive  minded player? 
A defensive D is much easier and cheaper to get and especially fit in Tocchets system wich makes it easier for a lesser D to perform at a higher level.

• There it is 2